• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Carriage Exteriors

Status
Not open for further replies.

subway156

I am an administrator on a tiny page for subway trains on Facebook, oddly enough, called The Subways Page. I urge you to visit it and maybe even join us. This is not a solicitation. I am seeking information on the exterior finish of your undergound and overground rolling stock. Are they painted or do they have a color coating (vinyl) over them? I am trying to find this out because many of our members are New York fans, operators and the such. The younger people have only seen the current cars in use which are all stainless steel. They are the most boring cars on tracks anywhere. I LOVE your stuff! The design is awesome and the finish superb. I thought I read somewhere that the outer shells were covered in a color film of sorts, and that makes it impervious to grafitti. There is a new batch of equipment that was just ordered and we are all talking about how we'd like them to look, but know they will look like everything else. So I implore you all to help me out. I am an old man who rode the subways soon after my birth in 1953. I was born a block away from the 3rd Avenue Elevated. This stuff is in my blood. Thank you for appreciating my enthusiasm.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dstock7080

Established Member
Train exteriors are painted but if damaged heavily by the effects of graffiti then a vinyl covering is used.

Upon trial refurbishment D Stock unit 7008-17008-8008 was entirely vinyl covered as a further trial for train exteriors.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
All London Underground stock introduced from 1950s to the mid-70s was in an unpainted aluminium finish, but later on was painted red white and blue which I believe was to make it easier to deal with graffiti.

subway156

I appreciate your responses. London's equipment usually looks very well cared for as the livery is clean and bright. Stainless steel is boring. I wonder how much it costs to paint each car. Cost control is the main reason why New York (and probably others as well) do not paint their cars. Grafitti on the whole is under control. The violators now scratch tags into the window surfaces. They are like rodents, they cannot resist the joy of destruction. Again, thank you very much.

Clip

Established Member
I appreciate your responses. London's equipment usually looks very well cared for as the livery is clean and bright. Stainless steel is boring. I wonder how much it costs to paint each car. Cost control is the main reason why New York (and probably others as well) do not paint their cars. Grafitti on the whole is under control. The violators now scratch tags into the window surfaces. They are like rodents, they cannot resist the joy of destruction. Again, thank you very much.

Over here we use a special film on buses and trains now which can simply be ripped off and reapplied when etching happens on the windows and extends the life of them also.

subway156

My guess is that same type of film is what they use for advertising wraps. I have seen them in many systems (in photos). There are many of use who would like to see NYC cover their trains with color. But, even with new units already being readied for production, it is not is the plans for them to be anything other than plain Janes.

AndrewP

I have recently been to New York and was impressed by the subway - it is clean and efficient if a little Spartan compared with the tube (which used to be a lot worse incidentally) but the air con is fantastic

I did see some painted subway cars at Flushing (red) and they looked better than the steel ones but I get the cost element.

The one area which does need improving is signage - some of the stations are very confusing (Canal Street for example) and it can be hard to find the right line if you don't know the network. However, New Yorkers are friendly and helpful (much more than Londoners) so there is never an issue.

subway156

Andrew P, those red cars were Red Birds from the late 1950's and early 1960's. They were some of the best cars ever run on that city. They have many preserved units within the system. The Trasnit Museum runs specials with them often. They were built in many liveries: green, red, pale blue and white. Many of the older ones that were refurbished were painted red. The musuem train, called The Nostalgia Train is also known as the Train Of Many Colors, as they run consists of mixed units. It is always in demand and the fact that those cars were re-built and still considered excellent by the oprators themselves is a testament to their design and build quality. The newer cars with air conditioning can spoil a person, some of them are down right frigid.

AndrewP

Andrew P, those red cars were Red Birds from the late 1950's and early 1960's. They were some of the best cars ever run on that city. They have many preserved units within the system. The Trasnit Museum runs specials with them often. They were built in many liveries: green, red, pale blue and white. Many of the older ones that were refurbished were painted red. The musuem train, called The Nostalgia Train is also known as the Train Of Many Colors, as they run consists of mixed units. It is always in demand and the fact that those cars were re-built and still considered excellent by the oprators themselves is a testament to their design and build quality. The newer cars with air conditioning can spoil a person, some of them are down right frigid.

Thanks for this - these cars were not in trains and looked a little tired but they did have character.

Clip

Established Member
My guess is that same type of film is what they use for advertising wraps. I have seen them in many systems (in photos). There are many of use who would like to see NYC cover their trains with color. But, even with new units already being readied for production, it is not is the plans for them to be anything other than plain Janes.

No, its a different kind of film, wraps are generally vinyl but this is a see through film which is either tinted or can even defelect harsh sunlight out of the carriage but mostly used on the inside of windows to prevent window etching.

subway156

No, its a different kind of film, wraps are generally vinyl but this is a see through film which is either tinted or can even defelect harsh sunlight out of the carriage but mostly used on the inside of windows to prevent window etching.
Oh, I had no idea. The wraps I have seen on the NY trains are very detailed and all encompassing. They cover the interiors and transform it's look completely. I was unaware of the type of film used in London. I am so anxious to experience riding the London system. My wife was born in Hendon and later lived in Romford. She used to work in London proper years ago and it's been since 1972 since she last rode there. She has a brother and a nice there somewhere (I SHOULD recall, but don't) and when we move to Scotland next year, we will travel to London for a huge visit. My wife's mother was born in Scotland. He father in Camden. Her children live in Scotland and we will live near them when retirement comes next summer.

Clip

Established Member
Yeah the stuff that is used with wrapping is normally not much different but is all digitally printed and thinker IIRC this stuff http://www.llumar.com/film-benefits/commercial/anti-graffiti is the anti graffiti stuff and its hard to know its there but simple to look through and remove/re-apply

Theres loads of different stuff you can do with the film itself as I said earlier from keeping heat out/in or even rocks from breaking your windwos http://www.llumar.com/photos-and-case-studies/commercial-case-studies/peru-rail-train

simple simon

In the days of steam trains when the Metropolitan Railway was just one of the many private railway companies that operated trains here in Great Britain its wooden-bodied trains comprised varnished teak.

This montage shows carriage No.353 which dates from 1892 but is part of a fleet of carriages that were first built in 1887, this being the year of Queen Victoria’s Golden Jubilee

Coach353-Montagea.jpg

Simon

subway156

Yeah the stuff that is used with wrapping is normally not much different but is all digitally printed and thinker IIRC this stuff http://www.llumar.com/film-benefits/commercial/anti-graffiti is the anti graffiti stuff and its hard to know its there but simple to look through and remove/re-apply

Theres loads of different stuff you can do with the film itself as I said earlier from keeping heat out/in or even rocks from breaking your windwos http://www.llumar.com/photos-and-case-studies/commercial-case-studies/peru-rail-train
I knew you guys would come through for me. I really appreciate it. This is a formal education. Sweet.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
In the days of steam trains when the Metropolitan Railway was just one of the many private railway companies that operated trains here in Great Britain its wooden-bodied trains comprised varnished teak.

This montage shows carriage No.353 which dates from 1892 but is part of a fleet of carriages that were first built in 1887, this being the year of Queen Victoria’s Golden Jubilee

Coach353-Montagea.jpg

Simon
Most brilliant! I'm speechless. The only subway car ever built in the U.S. to this standard (not close really) was a car called the August Belmont. It was built as a sample for the New York system. It was 1 of 2 and was very opulent. Mr. Belmont supplied the money to build the 1st subway in NYC and the car was built as an office and parlor car. He used it on his own siding to take him from the City to his personal horse track. It still exists but is in a poor condition. Thank you for your efforts.

Status
Not open for further replies.