• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cars and owner stereotypes

Status
Not open for further replies.

route101

Established Member
What cars have owner stereotypes ?

I will start with the Honda Jazz. Almost always an older driver over 60. someone very sensible.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
BMW. Driven by owners liable to cut you up, particularly so on the motorway.

Owners also tend not to know how to operate a BMW's indicators.

Extreme caution advised!

A0wen

On Moderation

Extreme caution advised!

^^^^ THIS, 100%.

What cars have owner stereotypes ?

I will start with the Honda Jazz. Almost always an older driver over 60. someone very sensible.

Now the stereotype is great - but my wife, who certainly isn't anywhere near her 60s owned 2 Jazz - a Mk1 and Mk2 - both were absolutely brilliant cars, particularly when our children were growing up. Huge boot which could take a push chair and shopping - try that in most other superminis - 5 door, loads of space in the back for car seats. And utterly, utterly reliable. On the first one it was over 10 years old when we replaced it - and I held my breath each time I put it in for an MOT - which it passed without question. The second one we didn't keep as long - mainly because my wife fancied a change, but again it never cost us anything more than routine servicing and maintenance.

RailWonderer

Established Member
Saabs are for architechts (there is some truth to this one), Volvos for the elderly. Some parents would also buy their kids a Volvo as their first car as they were so safe back when other cars were like coffins on wheels.

Alfa Romeos and Lancias are for people who think with their heart over their head. Lower volume car brands have a clearer type of driver but all the main brands including the German ones sell millions of cars per year so there isn't one type of person that drives them really.

A0wen

On Moderation
Saabs are for architechts (there is some truth to this one),

Not any more - you haven't been able to buy a new Saab for over 10 years now.

An interesting take on the drivers of Nissan Qashqai's can be found here - first two and a half minutes is all you need to watch

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
There's not so many of them around these days, but a Citroën Xzara Picasso was always a vehicle to give a little more space to, as it was probably being driven by a stressed out parent who was only one or two steps away from a meltdown!

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Nissan Juke - someone who doesn’t understand what a good car to drive is.

dgl

Established Member
Nissan Juke - someone who doesn’t understand what a good car to drive is.
My Dad reckoned it was like driving a go kart, there's had the CVT which probably added to it's go kart likeness. Also seems to be a rare breed of car, along with the SsangYong Rodius/Rexton and PT Cruiser that can clearly be driven by blind people as no sane person with even poor eyesight would be able to look at them and go "yes I'll have that one"!

Suzuki Wagon R+'s, Splash's driven by the older generation, same with Micra's and the like, though my sister breaks the stereotype on the Micra front.

Gloster

Established Member
Forty years or so ago the Austin Allegro usually seemed to be driven by middle-aged men in car coats and trilby hats. As Allegro means ‘at a brisk speed’, it was a most unsuitable name as they rarely went above 45 mph.

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
Vauxhall Corsas are driven by young men who have a concerning affinity for high school age girls and can be found in the McDonald's car park. Usually in a bold colour and slightly modified. Almost always has a hint of weed smell about it

The Nissan Navara is driven by landscape gardeners.

1st generation Renault Twingo drivers are based & redpilled and quite literally a god. Here, you dropped this king.
download (5).jpeg

DelW

Established Member
There's not so many of them around these days, but a Citroën Xzara Picasso was always a vehicle to give a little more space to, as it was probably being driven by a stressed out parent who was only one or two steps away from a meltdown!
I once had one as a hire car on a work trip (there was nothing else available). It was probably the slowest accelerating car I've driven in decades. It was an absolute nightmare on motorway roundabouts, even if I waited until nothing was in sight before pulling out, I'd still end up being hooted at for getting in someone's way.

At the end of the trip I was baffled why anyone would buy one, but one of my neighbours still has one (about 05 reg), so some people must like them! I haven't been rude enough to ask them why.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
My Dad reckoned it was like driving a go kart,

a go kart with a small lawnmower engine, and the turning circle of a cruise liner, yes.

Forty years or so ago the Austin Allegro usually seemed to be driven by middle-aged men in car coats and trilby hats. As Allegro means ‘at a brisk speed’, it was a most unsuitable name as they rarely went above 45 mph.

That’s a little unfair. My dad had one 40 years ago, and didn’t own a trilby. I’m sure we got it to 60mph once - I remember one occasion we even went into the outside lane on the M3. I suppose 40 years ago it was 7 years old and it would have been lighter than when new, as much of it had rusted away.

Snow1964

Established Member
Older Skoda Octavia diesels suggest seem to be choice of taxi drivers in provincial towns, with Toyota Prius the choice of minicab drivers in big cities.

Both seem to be driven by middle age men.

Andyh82

Established Member
Toyota Yaris seems to be the car of choice for takeaway delivery drivers, often have some sort of bodywork damage/no wheel trims

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Toyota Yaris seems to be the car of choice for takeaway delivery drivers, often have some sort of bodywork damage/no wheel trims

That is so true! I got tailgated by one the other day and he followed me all the way to the Indian takeaway I was going to. :lol:

(Definitely had at least one wheel trim missing)

bramling

Veteran Member

Extreme caution advised!

I’m of the view this stereotype is a little outdated now, as BMWs have become sufficiently common that they don’t really fit in to any particular stereotype. Indeed Audi seems to have taken their place if anything.

One which slips under the radar is Range Rover drivers (and indeed there’s a number of sayings such as the front of the vehicle matching the face of the driver, and another even more cutting one comparing the driver to the what happens to your hand if you touch a hedgehog). Again Range Rovers are sufficiently common that any stereotype may well be unfounded, but there’s certainly plenty round my way where the stereotype is spot on. For some reason they seem to be thought of as a status symbol, something I find odd as having driven one I found the experience akin to driving a transit van. They’re also not particularly reliable.

Springs Branch

Established Member
Possibly my own niche stereotypes, but in my neck of the woods (Australia):-
  • Mid-size French SUVs - I'm thinking Renault Koleos as a prime example - seem to be driven by late middle-aged divorced / separated women, who drive as if they're somehow navigating Paris's Périphérique. They might like to think of themselves imbued with some kind of Gallic passion and style. I think they're just mad women having the female equivalent of the sports-car-and-chest-medallion male mid-life crisis.

• I'm unlucky to live in a neighbourhood with several expensive private schools in the vicinity. This means twice per day during term time, every side street and rat run is infested with Mercedes or Porsche Cayenne SUVs being driven and parked "assertively" by mothers taking advantage of the privileges and circumvention of road rules to which possession of a superior brand of vehicle entitles you.

Spamcan81

Land Rover - driven by someone whose only off roading will be the supermarket car park or the pavement outside the school.

dgl

Established Member
Land Rover - driven by someone whose only off roading will be the supermarket car park or the pavement outside the school.
Come on, would you want to take a vehicle that unreliable off roading :D

E27007

"Mondeo Man", except that the Ford Mondeo is no more and will not be replaced by a car of the same format, the Ford are to end production of the Fiesta too, and no direct replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.