• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cats on the Underground

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sad Sprinter

Established Member
My Dad told me a story once he saw a cat come out the Northern Line tunnel at Bank station, apparently it was a stray. He maintains this story every time I ask him about it. Has anyone else seen stray cats in Underground tunnels? Would have thought there wouldn't be much room between them and the train.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hexagon789

Veteran Member
My Dad told me a story once he saw a cat come out the Northern Line tunnel at Bank station, apparently it was a stray. He maintains this story every time I ask him about it. Has anyone else seen stray cats in Underground tunnels? Would have thought there wouldn't be much room between them and the train.
I'd be more thinking it was lucky to miss both the conductor rails, but I think a cat could squeeze between train and wall. Cats seem to be able to get into some remarkably tight spaces.

LowLevel

Established Member
I'd be more thinking it was lucky to miss both the conductor rails, but I think a cat could squeeze between train and wall. Cats seem to be able to get into some remarkably tight spaces.

For the most part it appears they're quite good at sensing the electrical current and avoiding the power rails, for whatever reason.

warwickshire

On Moderation
Yes I have seen one at moorgate gtr underground station 2019. When riding the 313 for final time. However on the station there on moorgate gtr thameslink platforms is plenty off mice/rats so plenty off food for the cats. Suspect this will be the same elsewhere. Good for keeping rats and mice down. Good pest controllers for underground and tfl. Transport for London.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
For the most part it appears they're quite good at sensing the electrical current and avoiding the power rails, for whatever reason.
Hmm, I suppose so. Just thought it was more difficult given the extra power rail in the centre.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I’m aware of quite a few incidents of cats on the Underground over the past couple of years, but these have always been missing cats and when found alive usually returned to their owners, rather than stray (feral) cats.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Anyone know if any Underground stations were ever homes to cats, either officially or unofficially? I'd imagine only stations totally above ground might be candidates, particularly on the Met.

Vespa

Established Member
I would imagine like high voltage electric pylons the current flow gives off a humming sound, electricity behaves like water it flows through conducting materials, like streams over shingles and rocks, I would imagine at a lower voltage it would give off a particular sound that's outside of our hearing range but the cats would hear and they don't like the noise so they avoid it.

Trackman

Established Member
There was a story decades ago on uk.railway about a station cat that used to flatten itself to get under the third rail. It was corroborated by someone else- not that it's true mind, can't see it myself.

Domh245

Established Member
I would imagine like high voltage electric pylons the current flow gives off a humming sound, electricity behaves like water it flows through conducting materials, like streams over shingles and rocks, I would imagine at a lower voltage it would give off a particular sound that's outside of our hearing range but the cats would hear and they don't like the noise so they avoid it.

As I understand it, the reason we hear pylons humming is because they're AC, the tube is DC so shouldn't produce any noise (regardless of pitch!). It's more likely that cats are just sensitive to electromagnetic fields (which are generated by DC) but unfortunately google searching brings up a lot of conspiracy theorist type results (and this hilarious image)

Tin-foil-hats-for-cats-by-Archie-McPhee.jpg

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Farringdon on the Met / Circle had a well respected cat back in the late 20thC , observed a cat gingerly crossing the westbound lines at Earle's Court one late evening. It seemed to have a "Track competent" certificate as it seemed to know where to go , along the cable run.

Few around on NR as we know - St Albans had a cat adopt it and was spoilt rotten by staff and customers , thought it was a male (Brian) but a vet check showed it was a female and chipped so she was returned home. Never strayed off the up slow platform.

Vespa

Established Member
As I understand it, the reason we hear pylons humming is because they're AC, the tube is DC so shouldn't produce any noise (regardless of pitch!). It's more likely that cats are just sensitive to electromagnetic fields (which are generated by DC) but unfortunately google searching brings up a lot of conspiracy theorist type results (and this hilarious image)

There's a lot we don't know about cats level of hearing and sensitivity to electrical flows, DC may produce sound that we are completely unaware of, I'm more inclined to think they can hear electric flows through the metal producing a resonance that only they can hear.

I used to drive vintage trams and we were taught to think of electricity as water, how it flows, resistance and amperes.

So think of a narrow pipe of water flowing the smaller it is ( higher resistance), flow rate (amperes) headtank of 600 gallons per section (voltage)

That's why I think the cats hear it more than we do.

There's much more of the physical world yet to be discovered yet we don't have the technology to discover them.

Like the tin foil cat :lol:

bassmike

On Moderation

The current on L U is D C as you say,but is not particularly well smoothed(not necessary for application ) and has a strong ripple on it from the A C supply. This would sound the same to a hum seeking animal.

bassmike

On Moderation
Re previous post, this obviously also applies to Southern and any other conductor rail system. Also to Tramlink etc: although not so likely to be contacted by livestock.

Domh245

Established Member
There's a lot we don't know about cats level of hearing and sensitivity to electrical flows, DC may produce sound that we are completely unaware of, I'm more inclined to think they can hear electric flows through the metal producing a resonance that only they can hear.

I used to drive vintage trams and we were taught to think of electricity as water, how it flows, resistance and amperes.

So think of a narrow pipe of water flowing the smaller it is ( higher resistance), flow rate (amperes) headtank of 600 gallons per section (voltage)

That's why I think the cats hear it more than we do.

There's much more of the physical world yet to be discovered yet we don't have the technology to discover them.

The water analogy is a good one for electricity, but it does break down at a point! You don't usually hear the water in a pipe, so much as the pipe getting bashed around as water smashes into it (and pressure effects as valves open/close) which I don't see happening on the tube - particularly when dealing with 'just' the juice rails - being held at a voltage would be the equivalent of the headtank sitting there with the valve closed, and no flow which shouldn't be making any noise. By the time a train comes into section completing the circuit and causing current to flow (opening the valve) you'll be able to hear the train itself!

You're definitely right that there's much more to be discovered, but I just don't buy this one. Sound is reasonably well understood, and we do have the means to measure sounds that are imperceptible (in volume & frequency) to the human ear - although granted we might not have pointed any of that equipment at a conductor rail. For your theory to work would represent a fairly significant change to our understanding of sound, particularly when compared to the less fancy concept of just being Electromagnetically sensitive (magnetoreceptive to use the fancier term) - It's a relatively well understood phenomena in nature already with various mammals having been shown to have this

kevin_roche

Cat's have whiskers, could be sensitive to the voltage and Cat's fur is non-conductive so as long as they don't stick their nose or paws on the rail they might be safe.

matt_world2004

Established Member
My cats have a habit of spraying on electrical equipment. I assume they don't like the smell the electricity gives off. So I wouldn't be surprised if they sprayed on the third rail too.

There have been people's cats who have escaped and gone into the tunnels the ones that have been rescued have been reported in the press

Two different cats.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Yes I have seen one at moorgate gtr underground station 2019. When riding the 313 for final time. However on the station there on moorgate gtr thameslink platforms is plenty off mice/rats so plenty off food for the cats. Suspect this will be the same elsewhere. Good for keeping rats and mice down. Good pest controllers for underground and tfl. Transport for London.
Well that's certainly the official reason for some of the station cats employed on national rail - pest control.

There was a story decades ago on uk.railway about a station cat that used to flatten itself to get under the third rail. It was corroborated by someone else- not that it's true mind, can't see it myself.
Yeah, that's sort of what I was thinking re fitting between the train and walls - that cats are quite good at squeezing into any nook or crevice.

I guess we are talking here about night time but you can always hear loud crackling sound of current in the rails as trains approach during the day so it's not out of the question that while it's on at night is doesn't give off a sound only cats/ foxes etc can hear.

Dstock7080

Established Member
I guess we are talking here about night time but you can always hear loud crackling sound of current in the rails as trains approach during the day so it's not out of the question that while it's on at night is doesn't give off a sound only cats/ foxes etc can hear.
Traction current in rails doesn’t make a sound, what you hear as a train approaches is the collector shoes hitting ramps and joints in the current rails.

Trackman

Established Member
In 1985, I photographed this one from the end of a tube platform. Bit blurry due to the low light and slow film, but here you go:
View attachment 89837
Makes you think how it got up there, and The juice rail is right below it. Did the station have a pit?
anyway, I’ve done some googling and the consensus is that cats can hear electricity because they have ultrasound hearing.

PeterC

Established Member
Farringdon on the Met / Circle had a well respected cat back in the late 20thC , observed a cat gingerly crossing the westbound lines at Earle's Court one late evening. It seemed to have a "Track competent" certificate as it seemed to know where to go , along the cable run.

Few around on NR as we know - St Albans had a cat adopt it and was spoilt rotten by staff and customers , thought it was a male (Brian) but a vet check showed it was a female and chipped so she was returned home. Never strayed off the up slow platform.
I don't remember seeing a cat when I commuted through Farringdon but Barbican used to have a large mog that was usually curled up by the barriers impersonating a large fur cushion.

philthetube

Established Member
You never see foxes which appear to have been electrocuted, and I suspect cats are the same, the only animals which seem to fall prey to the juice are badgers

Traction current in rails doesn’t make a sound, what you hear as a train approaches is the collector shoes hitting ramps and joints in the current rails.
You learn something new everyday, I was always convinced that's what's the sound was!!

Sad Sprinter

Established Member

Lewlew

You never see foxes which appear to have been electrocuted, and I suspect cats are the same, the only animals which seem to fall prey to the juice are badgers
Plenty of dead foxes resting against the juice rails north of Queens Park over time. Including a baby one a while ago at Stonebridge. There's no rush by Network Rail to remove them so we have to see them every trip for months on end.

Trackman

Established Member
Plenty of dead foxes resting against the juice rails north of Queens Park over time. Including a baby one a while ago at Stonebridge. There's no rush by Network Rail to remove them so we have to see them every trip for months on end.
Seen dead foxes in SE land too. Also seen them cross the tracks carefully not to step on anything. There seem to be some hot-spots on bankings and some complicated junctions where they cant figure out what is going on. -- neither can I!!
There are plenty of mice down there.
The rats ate all the mice! ;)

Tube driver

Seen a few of each in the open sections although they‘re not left for too long and picked up by ERU. Not nice seeing someone’s moggy and usually results in multiple calls to LC.

Also used to have a feral cat living in a fenced off area in our depot who’d have kittens now and again which was nice to see on your way to collecting your train.

Status
Not open for further replies.