• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Caught earlier train which was then delayed - delay repay Q.

xotGD

Established Member
Hi All,

So yesterday morning my booked train was cancelled (I had an Advance for this), so I caught the previous service. This train arrived 19 minutes late, but this was only 13 minutes after the booked arrival time of the train I was due to catch.

So the question is, am I entitled to Delay Repay?

Thanks!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheTallOne

Im guessing not.

13 minutes late is probably not enough to qualify for delay repay?

May depend on the operator, but think in my area it’s something like 15/30/60/120 minutes for each option.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
@xotGD. Obvious questions. What was the train service and TOC that you used? And what had been cancelled?

Haywain

Veteran Member
Hi All,

So yesterday morning my booked train was cancelled (I had an Advance for this), so I caught the previous service. This train arrived 19 minutes late, but this was only 13 minutes after the booked arrival time of the train I was due to catch.

Thanks!
If you submit a claim the worst that can happen is that it gets declined. But you could be surprised...

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Hi All,

Thanks!
Strictly speaking the answer is no; Delay Repay is only intended as a mechanism to compensate you if you are delayed by comparison to the train you intended to catch (which in the case of an Advance, is obviously the booked train). Since you were delayed by only 13 minutes you are not eligible for compensation.

However as per this thread, there may be an argument for a price reduction (i.e. partial or full refund) under the Consumer Rights Act 2015.

xotGD

Established Member
Thanks for the replies.

I might well find myself in the same situation tomorrow!

akm

One data point: On Jan 4th during Storm Henk SWR said to use any train with an Advance ticket(that's not me, just an example tweet). I got a train half an hour earlier than the one my Advance ticket was for; the train I actually got was delayed by 15-29 minutes, and I claimed and received Delay Repay even though I arrived before the scheduled arrival time of my actual ticket.

It's not quite the same as your situation, of course.