• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Caught using my Freedom pass before 0930

Status
Not open for further replies.

GodAtum

On Moderation
Freedom passes have been blocked before 0930 but I have continued using mine and have been stopped. I've been commuting to work on it and last month I was caught by a ticket inspector.

I gave over my personal details as asked by the inspector and was told that that I would be receiving a correspondence letter within 5 working days.

It has now been a few weeks and I still have not received this letter by post.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

N0G83

Freedom passes have been blocked before 0930 but I have continued using mine and have been stopped. I've been commuting to work on it and last month I was caught by a ticket inspector.

I gave over my personal details as asked by the inspector and was told that that I would be receiving a correspondence letter within 5 working days.

It’s travel before 9 am that is the restriction, I take it it’s an older Persons Freedom Pass you hold?

skyhigh

Established Member

TfL take misuse of Freedom Passes seriously and prosecute in the vast majority of cases. If you've been misusing the pass for a significant length of time I think you're going to find it hard to avoid a prosecution here.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member

They’ll likely be auditing the abuse of the pass before making contact. But they have up to six months to prosecute you.

island

Veteran Member
They’ll likely be auditing the abuse of the pass before making contact. But they have up to six months to prosecute you.
One assumes the pass would be rejected if use was attempted before the permitted time, so it's not clear how any auditing would be possible, unless I suppose the OP travelled from an ungated station before the permitted time and arrived at a gated station after that time.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
One assumes the pass would be rejected if use was attempted before the permitted time, so it's not clear how any auditing would be possible, unless I suppose the OP travelled from an ungated station before the permitted time and arrived at a gated station after that time.
It may be that the exit taps can be audited, and inferences drawn from the pattern of travel.

BJames

Established Member
Absolutely - on buses at least, these passes are rejected before 0900 with the driver being shown an error which says tried to use before valid time or something vaguely along those lines. I see no reason why gatelines or standalone readers would be any different. I imagine you're right about the ungated/gated situation (although a clarification from OP would be good to know) - and if they're tapping in and out at the actual origin station on the return, it'd be pretty clear I imagine what they've been up to.

Even if they are not tapping out though on the return and just tapping in, it's probably apparent that it's being misused simply by the timings - e.g. if tapping out at, say, London Bridge at something like 0932. But it would be a lot harder to work out how far they've actually travelled.

However I mainly just wanted to add the obvious to this thread, and suggest when the OP is contacted they refrain from taking the position of 'I disagree with this policy' and adopt a much more apologetic and concillatory tone. That tone will put to bed any small possibilities of final written warnings or other out of court procedures that TfL may (rarely) opt for...

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I'm surprised that you've put yourself in this position as you've been a member fo this forum for long enough to know that misusing a Freedom Pass is likely to have serious consequences. Whether you agree with the policy or not doesn't matter, the rules should still be followed.

TfL take misuse of Freedom Passes very seriously and a prosecution in the Magistrates Court is the usual outcome. Post a copy of the Verification Letter in this thread when it arrives (but do redact any personal details) along with your draft reply and we will proof read it for you.

In the meantime it might be worth familiarising yourself with TfL's Revenue Enforcement & Prosecutions Policy
https://tfl.gov.uk/cdn/static/cms/documents/revenue-enforcement-and-prosecutions-policy.pdf

mikeg

Established Member
Did you have your pass confiscated? If so I would wait 6 months before trying to get it back. As stated they have 6 months to prosecute. It's a waiting game now, but don't do anything that could bring you further to their attention.
Also would help to know the mode of transport as to the possibility of an out of court settlement. Was it tfl or a train operating company?

Last edited:

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
TfL take misuse of Freedom Passes seriously and prosecute in the vast majority of cases. If you've been misusing the pass for a significant length of time I think you're going to find it hard to avoid a prosecution here.
ln the past the OP has said to have been commuting from the Croydon area so it is possibly more likely that they were stopped by an lnspector on GTR services, if indeed this incident happened at all.

Last edited:

pelli

Is the travel timings validity T&C the same for disabled and pensioners freedom pass ? The website link doesn't seem to make a distinction between the two.
The Freedom Pass Travel Map states that (for weekdays) on DLR/EL/LO/Tramlink/LU and light-blue-shaded NR lines (which seems to be the "interavailable" ones) the Older Persons Freedom Pass is valid from 9am only while the Disabled Persons Freedom Pass is valid at all times, whereas on red-shaded NR lines (which is the majority of National Rail lines) both are only valid after 9.30am. This is consistent with the previously linked page, specifically covering Freedom Pass usage on National Rail, not distinguishing between the two types of Freedom Pass, whereas the page covering Freedom Pass usage on "Tube, Overground, Tfl Rail, DLR and Crossrail" states that Disabled Persons Freedom Passes are not affected by the weekday morning restrictions.

Bayum

Established Member
Slightly off topic…
Would this call into question how the pass was used before 9am in the first place? If it gives the error message, surely a bus driver or ticket gate would recognise this and not allow travel?

DaleCooper

Established Member
I imagine many people would jump at the chance of free travel on buses and trains even with a some time restrictions. I know I feel very lucky just to have a bus pass.

island

Veteran Member
Slightly off topic…
Would this call into question how the pass was used before 9am in the first place? If it gives the error message, surely a bus driver or ticket gate would recognise this and not allow travel?
Could have been used from an ungated station departing before the valid time to a gated station arriving after that time. Or could have been used between 0900-0930 on a train where it’s valid after 0930 from a station which also has trains on which it is valid from 0900 and therefore would have to set the gates to let people through for those.

Status
Not open for further replies.