• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Central Manchester freight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter Gl

I've recently started a new job in the centre of Manchester, and every day (well, Mon to Fri) at 1630, and very punctual too, I see a container train cross the viaduct from Deansgate and go through platform 13 at Piccadilly.

I'm guessing it emanates at Trafford Park containerbase, but where does it go?

Pete.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WatcherZero

Established Member
More than one form of transport, e.g. Ship and rail or road and air without having to be unloaded and reloaded into the container.

Beveridges

Established Member
Theres one at around 18:30 going into Trafford Park that has been 86 hauled lately but has also been known to be class 70. If your unlucky you may get a Fred.

Phil6219

In all fairness that working is supposed to be 66 hauled :)

There is actually a reasonable amount of freight through the city centre, nowhere near as much as there used to be (talking of piccadilly here as to mention Victoria freight nowadays is so depressing). Mostly sheds but there is a very early 90 working (due through Picc around 06:30ish) as well as another 90 around 8pm, a 70 at 11pm and sheds almost every hour including two GBRF ones. There used to be a 92 as well until last November but that seems to have not restarted :(

Phil 8-)

I remember a few years ago heading towards Old Trafford and crossing over a number of level crossings in that area in what seemed to be a large industrial estate, would this be park of the Trafford Park complex ?

rebmcr

Established Member
I remember a few years ago heading towards Old Trafford and crossing over a number of level crossings in that area in what seemed to be a large industrial estate, would this be park of the Trafford Park complex ?

Yes but not the freight terminal that the intermodals head for. It's an entirely separate shunting network, internal to the industrial areas, that sees very little use nowadays.

Status
Not open for further replies.