• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Change-of-route excess for Glasgow-Carlisle return

Status
Not open for further replies.

XAM2175

Established Member
Evening all,
I'm wanting to go from Glasgow to Carlisle and back on the same day, out via Dumfries and back on TPE (leaving aside their questionable reliability for the moment). I'm 99% confident that I'm correct in saying that I can buy the Off-Peak Return route via Dumfries for £23.00, and then on the way back get an on-train excess to the Off-Peak Return route any permitted for £3.10 (ie, half the difference between £23.00 and £29.20).

However, assuming that I don't end up on an Avanti train home anyway, are any of my options changed by the existence of the Off-Peak Return route TPE ONLY at £22.40? I know that a TOC restriction can't be excessed away (even if it's in the "route" field), so I wouldn't be able to buy it and then excess the outward trip with ScotRail, but does the fact it's available to buy have any bearing on the calculation of the cheapest price per NRCoT 13.2 if I'm excessing the via Dumfries ticket?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Evening all,
I'm wanting to go from Glasgow to Carlisle and back on the same day, out via Dumfries and back on TPE (leaving aside their questionable reliability for the moment). I'm 99% confident that I'm correct in saying that I can buy the Off-Peak Return route via Dumfries for £23.00, and then on the way back get an on-train excess to the Off-Peak Return route any permitted for £3.10 (ie, half the difference between £23.00 and £29.20).

However, assuming that I don't end up on an Avanti train home anyway, are any of my options changed by the existence of the Off-Peak Return route TPE ONLY at £22.40? I know that a TOC restriction can't be excessed away (even if it's in the "route" field), so I wouldn't be able to buy it and then excess the outward trip with ScotRail, but does the fact it's available to buy have any bearing on the calculation of the cheapest price per NRCoT 13.2 if I'm excessing the via Dumfries ticket?

Thanks in advance.
You are correct. If you hold the via Dumfries ticket, you can travel using TPE at times when the TPE only Off-Peak Return is valid, without having to pay anything extra - as the excess is "negative" (obviously you will not be entitled to any refund). The TPE only ticket would certainly qualify as "the lowest price Ticket available for immediate travel that would have entitled you to travel by that route".

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Does the OP have to actually obtain an additional (zero fare?) one way "change of route" ticket or will the "via Dumfries" ticket be automatically accepted on TPE?

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Does the OP have to actually obtain an additional (zero fare?) one way "change of route" ticket or will the "via Dumfries" ticket be automatically accepted on TPE?
There is no need to obtain an excess before travel - there is nothing to pay, after all. In any event, change of route excesses can be obtained onboard without penalty.

XAM2175

Established Member
You are correct. If you hold the via Dumfries ticket, you can travel using TPE at times when the TPE only Off-Peak Return is valid, without having to pay anything extra - as the excess is "negative" (obviously you will not be entitled to any refund). The TPE only ticket would certainly qualify as "the lowest price Ticket available for immediate travel that would have entitled you to travel by that route".
Splendid, cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.