• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Change of route excess to a route where no return is available.

robbeech

Established Member
I’m travelling to London today (return Thursday) on a First Anytime Return from Whitwell to London Terminals (via Nottingham). It’s cheaper than 2 of the any permitted (now called not via Doncaster) singles and the closure of the ECML today means it’s pointless buying this.

However, on Thursday I may wish to return not via Nottingham, I’m struggling to see how they would excess my ticket as there are no Returns. Do they excess me to the price as if I’d bought 2 x any permitted singles (as this would be wrong as the excess is in 1 direction only).

Interesting to hear thoughts on what should happen, official guidelines if of course there are any and they haven’t simply overlooked things and then depending on what I do on Thursday we’ll see how it compares to reality.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Class800

Established Member
Don't think there's any clear guidance what to do where one route has return and the other doesn't. So not sure there's any way of knowing what should happen.

What might happen includes everything from let it go no excess to pay, to excess based on the equivalent 2 singles (probably the fairest) to a penalty fare as there's no ticket to excess too so they might deem it not having valid tickets (would seem harsh)

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Route excesses on returns are half the difference between the two fares if in one direction, not the full difference. So logic would be the difference between half the return you purchased and the relevant walk-up single.

However, in practice...

Class800

Established Member
Route excesses on returns are half the difference between the two fares if in one direction, not the full difference. So logic would be the difference between half the return you purchased and the relevant walk-up single.

However, in practice...
If I was a gambler, I'd bet on PF, though I'd say it's not appropriate

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

I had assumed that the excess would be done in advance of boarding at a booking office (being London there's a choice of them if the OP finds one won't do it). The situation is rather confused as to whether it can be done on board - the NRCoT seems to permit it, but Penalty Fare TOCs' policies seem to be not to - so unless you like getting embroiled in awkward legal cases and appeals* it's always best to resolve a ticketing issue before boarding if there is a facility to do so.

* I know some people enjoy this, but for the rest of us there's Mastercard, or something :)

Haywain

Veteran Member
I agree with this, it is what I would have advised staff to do when I was in such a position.
Assuming that the OP is considering travelling via Retford, a Penalty Fare is unlikely to come into the equation as most of the operators concerned in such a journey are not participating in Penalty Fare schemes.