• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Changing platforms at Stevenage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pip1

I will be changing platforms at Stevenage in a few weeks. Looks like we will arrive at platform 1 and need to get to platform 6. My companion is elderly and uses a wheeled walking frame. The general information that I can find is that all platforms are step free access but then see other information stating that there is lift access to platforms 1 - 5. No mention of platform 6. Just want to be absolutely sure that we will have step free access between the two platforms and also if anyone knows how reliable the lift is ( I have frequently seen lifts out of action at stations). On another note the information about access on most rail company websites is appalling. It would do so easy to provide a site plan so that a traveller can work out for themselves what it will be like navigating the station - what ever their access needs. Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Failed Unit

Established Member
As stated above there is no platform 6, Platform 5 is used by most trains heading to Moorgate via Hertford. It is the longest distance you will need to get to and I am surprised Stevenage still has a 5 minute connection time.

However to your main concern, lift access is between all platforms, and assistance is possible. So if you are doing 1 - 5 you can get between them both step free.

Hard to say how reliable the lift is, but I have not really noticed it out of action. Where are you travelling to / from? I could give you a plan B if needed.

ac6000cw

Established Member
Note the lifts on platforms 1 & 2 and 3 & 4 are at the south end of the 'central buildings' area of the platforms. When you exit the platform 1 & 2 lift onto the central bridge, turn left to head for the lift down to platform 5.

From this station information webpage - https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/stations/stevenage/

Stevenage_station_map__upper_level_.png

Last edited:

iamterry

I've used the lifts quite a lot at Stevenage (with bike) - can't recall them being out of action for any of my journeys (last time was this weekend).

Pip1

Thanks all - this is all really helpful . Thanks for the offer Failed Unit - I will be optimistic and assume lift will be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.