• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Chatham to London Terminals. Out via Abbey wood, return from central London

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Hello all

Can the real experts solve a question that is baffling me, my local booking office and the local generally friendly peak time RPI

If I want to, as I regularly do make a journey from my local station of Chatham into London and back, going out on the 838 Thames link abbey wood train or possibly one of the two departures at either 9008 or 938 but then return from Central London at a time regarded as super off peak, what ticket should I be purchasing? I switch to oyster pay as you go at ABI wood on the way in on the Elizabeth line but don't necessarily want to be root restricted to going via abbey wood on the return

Abby wood is considered an off-peak destination from the first departure time mentioned of 838 from Chatham, later on in the day if you put a Via point of Abby wood into any journey planner the fair offered is the same super off peak day return as if I was traveling on the direct train to Victoria from any time after 10:02.

Booking office are quite happy to sell me a super off-peak day return based on the fact that I'm traveling to abbey wood in the morning and switching to oyster but the revenue protection inspector on the barrier is unconvinced, but can't find anything in the book of words that says this isn't valid but in his head and indeed in mind it doesn't sound like it should be valid
what should I be doing in this event? Purchasing two singles would be more expensive and as I say I don't always want to root restrict myself to going via abbey wood in both directions as this train is very slow and often cancelled

For info, there is no super off peak fair for abbey wood, just the off-peak day return

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

alistairlees

Established Member
The super off peak day return from Chatham to London Terminals is not valid to depart any station on a weekday before 10.00, so you will need to buy the off peak day return. It’s the same whether you use high speed trains or not (ie travel back from St Pancras), though there is a premium to use high speed.

Depending on what you do in central London, an off peak day travelcard may work out as better value.

The off peak day return from Chatham to London is valid only on trains arriving at a London terminal after 09.44. The 08.38 Thameslink departure from Chatham arrives at London Bridge at 09.57, so this service is ok for the off peak day return.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
To be honest that was my gut feeling as well but as they were conflicting views amongst staff I thought I would put it out and see what others made of it and for the avoidance of doubt, that is what I have been purchasing most of the time

I only ever use high speed if I'm on a cross London ticket that automatically includes it or if I've been able to pick up a decent price advance, might be a bit different if the frequency was back to half hourly on high speed through the Medway towns but with an hourly service it's just not worth the expense

extendedpaul

Is it still necessary to return to the booking hall at Abbey Wood to switch from paper ticket to Oyster or vice versa ? I heard there was a plan to install validators on the platforms there by now.

redreni

Is it still necessary to return to the booking hall at Abbey Wood to switch from paper ticket to Oyster or vice versa ? I heard there was a plan to install validators on the platforms there by now.
The validators have been installed on the EL island platform but they still had covers over them last time I saw them.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
I really hope these get commissioned soon, it is a huge ginormous pain having to do this every time and sometimes in both directions depending on what ticket or combination you're using and not only does it delay customers but the people flow through the station doesn't work very well especially at times of high demand

Status
Not open for further replies.