• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cheapest train travel from Preston - Barcelona

Pnerick81

So for my daughter’s 18th birthday we are looking at train travel return and a few nights stay in Barcelona . This would be in mid September . Is interrail the best way to go .

Or to buy individual tickets.

I have travelled in Europe before . From Preston to Prague . Via London , Dover , Calais , Paris , Munich and Prague . But I was only a lad with my parents. My father being a relief signalman in the Preston area. I think they used eurorail tickets . But he’s told me they were For staff

Any advice would be grateful . As I’m not really sure where to start

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Nunners

So for my daughter’s 18th birthday we are looking at train travel return and a few nights stay in Barcelona . This would be in mid September . Is interrail the best way to go .

Or to buy individual tickets.

I have travelled in Europe before . From Preston to Prague . Via London , Dover , Calais , Paris , Munich and Prague . But I was only a lad with my parents. My father being a relief signalman in the Preston area. I think they used eurorail tickets . But he’s told me they were For staff

Any advice would be grateful . As I’m not really sure where to start
Seat61 is normally a good place to start:

It's just about possible to do the journey in a day, although this requires a 5:30 departure from Preston.

Eurostar and TGV to Barcelona both need a large supplement with an interrail ticket, so individual tickets is probably the way to go unless you're booking last minute.

I would start with looking at Paris to Barcelona (and back) on Trainline (or SNCF connect). Then look at the return journey by Eurostar and the connection to the Eurostar in London.

Pnerick81

T
Seat61 is normally a good place to start:

It's just about possible to do the journey in a day, although this requires a 5:30 departure from Preston.

Eurostar and TGV to Barcelona both need a large supplement with an interrail ticket, so individual tickets is probably the way to go unless you're booking last minute.

I would start with looking at Paris to Barcelona (and back) on Trainline (or SNCF connect). Then look at the return journey by Eurostar and the connection to the Eurostar in London.
thanks very much . I’ve had a quick look at seat61 . Very informative

Veteran Member
Unless you are all really hardy I wouldn't try it in one day! Lyon or Nines/Montpellier are convenient stopovers especially if you use the Lille option. Paris more economical on supplements but hotels..... :(
Use the Interrail price plus supplements (EUR 55-65) as the upper limit.

randyrippley

Established Member
Is Preston-Plymouth-Santander-Barcelona an option? Effectively a mini-cruise with maybe a chance to see some whales?

stuu

Established Member
Is Preston-Plymouth-Santander-Barcelona an option? Effectively a mini-cruise with maybe a chance to see some whales?
Not without a stay in Santander or possibly Madrid as well - the ferry arrives 35 minutes before the last direct train to Madrid (13:55 astonishingly)

Alfonso

Depending on whether you and yiur family regard overnight trains as magical, unbearable, or a bit of both I'd consider using the overnight paris-latour de Carol night train. I know many people would rather a good night's sleep in a comfy hotel and a day train. Horses for courses.[edit] and if I didn't like Paris or the fares all seemed high, consider changing in Lille for a train to Lyon and the sometimes much cheaper Lyon to Barcelona train

RENFE are supposedly going to be running through to Paris from the summer timetable, so there might be some more (cheaper) options available by September. Currently they run just one service Lyon - Barcelona ( -Madrid) and v.v. but the fares are often more competitive than SNCF.

Nunners

Depending on whether you and yiur family regard overnight trains as magical, unbearable, or a bit of both I'd consider using the overnight paris-latour de Carol night train. I know many people would rather a good night's sleep in a comfy hotel and a day train. Horses for courses.[edit] and if I didn't like Paris or the fares all seemed high, consider changing in Lille for a train to Lyon and the sometimes much cheaper Lyon to Barcelona train
The french night trains only have couchettes rather than proper sleeping compartments (not sure what the first class ones are like but no proper duvet, narrower bed and not much space in second class). They are very cheap though - I got Paris to Latour for 29 euros in a couchette a couple of months ago

peterblue

Do you want to use trains all the way? Flying will definitely be cheaper and quicker.

The Latour de Carol sleeper is a good option - quite a nice stretch of line you see first thing in the morning from Toulouse.

Otherwise on day trains, I recommend having a stopover overnight somewhere.

Veteran Member
Not without a stay in Santander or possibly Madrid as well - the ferry arrives 35 minutes before the last direct train to Madrid (13:55 astonishingly)
Portsmouth-Bilbao is less far off route at both ends, but takes 2 nights outward. And neither is cheap for foot passengers.

Pnerick81

Thanks for all your advice . We are looking at both the Lille option and Paris option. I can’t really plan much until prices are available . We really don’t want to fly anywhere . We want to see France and Spain through the train window .

A S Leib

Others will – and have been above – be more knowledgeable, but Dieppe to Lyon via a route with no mandatory reservations is possible in a day (Dieppe 10:02 – Rouen Rive Droite 10:50; Rouen 12:11 – Paris St. Lazare 13:48; Paris Bercy 15:35 – Lyon Part Dieu 20:42). Without seat reservations, you can leave Lyon at 07:20 or 07:45 and get to Barcelona at 18:40, or 10:20 – 21:40 (changing at Avignon and Portbou for the first and third ones, or Valence, Avignon and Portbou for the 07:45).

I think the Newhaven to Dieppe ferry arrives around a 25 minute walk from the station but at 05:00 or 06:00 depending on the day so it shouldn't be a rush to get to the station. DFDS recommends at least 45 minutes (up to 120 in peak holiday times) to check in; I think as long as you get the 16:01 to Euston at latest, you should be fine.

Leaving on the 4 September and returning on the ninth, with the overnight departures both ways, it would be £276 return for the cheapest cabins for three adults though, so Eurostar as far as Paris probably works out cheaper (€180 for six London – Paris / Paris – London supplements).

HST43257

Established Member
Not only is there the Latour-de-Caroo sleeper, but there is also a sleeper to Perpignan I believe, which allows an earlier arrival into Barcelona.

A S Leib

Not only is there the Latour-de-Caroo sleeper, but there is also a sleeper to Perpignan I believe, which allows an earlier arrival into Barcelona.
Paris-Austerlitz 21:22 - 08:37 Perpignan
Perpignan 11:18 - 12:38 Barcelona-Sants

Paris-Austerlitz 22:06 - 10:07 Latour-de-Carol – Enveitg
Latour-de-Carol – Enveitg to Barcelona's two changes taking six hours and with a five hour wait at Latour-de-Carol, unless I / ÖBB are missing something.

gnolife

Established Member
Paris-Austerlitz 21:22 - 08:37 Perpignan

Paris-Austerlitz 22:06 - 10:07 Latour-de-Carol – Enveitg
Latour-de-Carol – Enveitg to Barcelona's two changes taking six hours and with a five hour wait at Latour-de-Carol, unless I / ÖBB are missing something.
There's a 10:30 Rodalies de Catalunya R3 from La Tor de Querol (to use the Catalan spelling) to Barcelona-Sants, arriving at 13:54, with the next departure at 13:30

Veteran Member
That's a Renfe AVE service. Alternatively you stay on to Cerbere (scenic!) and catch an ordinary train to reach Sants at 13.34
Missing the Rodalies/Cercanias services (which Renfe don't put on the international database) :(

parkender102

We did a similar trip with our kids a few years ago from Chester to Alicante and it was cheaper to just book as separate Tickets + Couchette Reservations.

We did Chester - London (Virgin but now Avanti). Spent the night in Travelodge/Premier Inn near St Pancras. Early morning Eurostar to Paris. Spent the day in Paris including a trip down the Seine by Boat and a fantastic Lunch at Le Train Bleu in Gare De Lyon before talking the night sleeper from there to Barcelona and then the Trans Med down to Alicante. You can book all beds in one compartment for your party so it is private. Food was available from the Cafe but best stock up on Drinks and Food from one of the Supermarkets in Paris.