• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cheltenham Race Course Station 8th sept 2019.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill EWS

A few shots of video taken at Cheltenham Race Course station on Sunday 8th Sept. 2019. Planned to have a trip on the railway to see the Classic Car display at Toddington and to visit Broadway station for the first time since it was reopened. However, thanks to the booked train from Swindon. The 09.44 being cancelled it meant a divergence via Bristol Parkway and then the morning Bristol-Edinburgh to Cheltenham station. This lost me 40 minutes of walking time to catch the 12.35 departure at Race Course station and an hours wait for the next departure that would not have allowed me time to enjoy the Car display at Toddington so I decided just to spend a couple of hours at Race Course station and then walk the old track bed back into Cheltenham.

It was disappointing but I enjoyed both walks and also the time at Race Course station. I worked over the Cheltenham to Honeybourne section back in the 70's when the route was reopened temporarily for diverted Postal Trains so had some memory of going over the line. We worked from Didcot via Swindon where we picked up a pilot driver to Honeybourne then we worked back to Didcot via Oxford.

Houses were already built up to the track bed edge even then with residents complaining about the noise from the parcel trains.

Status
Not open for further replies.