• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cheshire East council says it faces bankruptcy due to HS2 link cancellation

snowball

Established Member
Please move if there's an existing thread more suitable for this, or if this new thread should be in a different subforum.

From the Guardian:

A council in one of the wealthiest parts of the UK has warned it faces potential bankruptcy due to the “devastating” impact of cancelling the northern leg of HS2.

Leaders of Cheshire East council in north-west England said the authority had spent £11m preparing for the high-speed rail link, and this would now have to be written off. Most of this money – £8.6m – had been funded by borrowing and would now have to be funded from the council’s already stretched revenue budget.

As a result, the council, which is a unitary authority covering Crewe and Macclesfield, could be forced to trigger a section 114 notice, in effect declaring bankruptcy, according to a report by council officers.

Nearly one in five council leaders in England have said they are likely to declare effective bankruptcy within the next year due to a lack of government funding. One in four councils in Scotland said they faced the same prospect.

Labour-run Nottingham city council last month became the fourth authority in the past year – and the eighth in six years – to declare effective insolvency.

Cheshire East council said it faced “direct and devastating impacts” from Rishi Sunak’s decision to abandon HS2 north of Birmingham. It said these impacts were not mitigated by the government’s “network north” proposals which were released to quell widespread anger from political and business leaders over the axing of HS2.

The report submitted to a full meeting of Cheshire East council on Wednesday said it was seeking a “fair and equitable deal to compensate for the losses to the council and the opportunity cost to the borough” of Sunak’s decision.

The council, which reported a forecast £18.7m shortfall in its budget earlier this year, has already introduced a number of cost-saving measures, including charges for green bins, cuts to library opening hours and closing its headquarters.

The council’s Labour leader, Sam Corcoran, has met the rail minister, Huw Merriman, who “agreed that a dialogue between the council and government would continue”, the meeting was told.

The Conservative group leader, Janet Clowes, added that there was “very much a cross-party Cheshire East remonstration with government”.

She said: “I accept that it’s my government, if you like to put it that way, but we have a really good case to bring forward and we have a right to expect more in terms of the response that we can get as how those monies are now going to be allocated. Because Crewe deserves it, as does the rest of Cheshire East that was set to benefit indirectly from being the gateway to the north.”

The mayor of Cheshire East, the Liberal Democrat Rod Fletcher, said he wanted to take the “unusual step” of speaking on the issue as he was a retired railway operating manager. “I was personally devastated,” he said of the cancellation.

The Department for Transport has been contacted for comment.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jfollows

Established Member
It's my council, and it's changed from a badly-run (my opinion) Conservative council since it was established to a Labour/Independent coalition since 2019 (I think).
It supported HS2.
Tomorrow is my last free green (garden & food) bin collection. I'm going to turn my bin into a water butt. I can manage because I have a car and can take stuff to the "tip" in Knutsford.
I don't think the council has been especially profligate, the article talks about HS2, but I think it's more about central government "devolving" government but taking money away at the same time.

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
It's my council, and it's changed from a badly-run (my opinion) Conservative council since it was established to a Labour/Independent coalition since 2019 (I think).
It supported HS2.
Tomorrow is my last free green (garden & food) bin collection. I'm going to turn my bin into a water butt. I can manage because I have a car and can take stuff to the "tip" in Knutsford.
I don't think the council has been especially profligate, the article talks about HS2, but I think it's more about central government "devolving" government but taking money away at the same time.
My council too, seems half decent compared to others I've lived under.

I don't mind the £1 per week for the brown bin service, but having a council take out a loan for HS2 related stuff is maddening and I think Central government should be forced to pay it off.

Meerkat

Established Member
What has a council spent money on due to HS2, that wouldn't be funded by the project? I assume it has mainly gone in the pockets of consultants producing fancy slide decks rather than building anything. Sounds a dangerous gamble with borrowed money, even if it worked it would be a good few years until they even started to see any return

BlueLeanie

I don't want to go too far off topic, but it often feels that Councils don't know their purpose anymore. Back in the 70s, when the current model was designed, it was relatively simple. You probably just had Brenda & Hyacinth in the Payroll department, with of the juniors in the accounting department coming along on Wednesday afternoon to help make up the cash for the weekly pay envelopes. These days every Council needs an extensive HR department, Data Guardian, Social Media team, Legal team, IT Department, pays out staggering licencing for various software packages.

Reform is very much needed, perhaps reducing the number of Councils and redefining exactly what a Council must do for core services, along with expectations for Councillors. Councils working together should also procure a standardised "off-the-shelf" secure software packages with lower licensing fees for their frontline services so the wheel doesn't require to be redesigned 333 times.

£11Million does sound like quite a lot. There must be some benefit in the money that has already been spent though, and there are 175,000 households in Cheshire East, so it's only £62 per household. Would anyone truly notice when the average Council Tax bill in Cheshire East is already £2,045 a year if it increased by £5 a month to avoid "bankruptcy"?

Lost property

Worth remembering Cheshire East council is no stranger to "Private Eyes " " Rotten Boroughs " column.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Interesting that this story seems to have first been published here over a week ago...

Extract...
Now, a report published by the authority states that the financial impact of pulling the infrastructure project could force Cheshire East to issue a Section 114 notice.

Local authorities cannot go bankrupt like normal businesses, instead they issue s.114 notices when running costs exceed income.

...but it's only now that the national media seems to be running with it.

Anyhoo, what has Cheshire East spent the "lost" money on? And, are they using the cancellation of HS2 as a convenient scapegoat for financial shortcomings elsewhere?

nwales58

Reform is very much needed ... redefining exactly what a Council must do for core services ...
Remember it was Eric Pickles in the post-2010 government that gave councils a general power of competence, replacing the previous 'stick to the knitting' legal framework.

Do we want to go back to pre 2010 and ultra vires challenges to anything people don't like, fuelled by modern lawyers no win no fee lawyers?

Cheshire East's problem apparently is not some off the wall activity but doing the local work related to an impending national infrastructure project. Others will know the details, but I suspect if they had not done the work they would have been criticised too. DfT's vacillation on what was to happen at Crewe could have dragged the district into redundant work too.

Rail Quest

'Tis my local council since I moved into the area last year and it always struck me as a council that had to careful count its money comparative to Trafford (my previous local council). Not only do we have to pay for the green bins but they don't do any collection runs for the green bins for the months over Winter which was a nightmare for us moving into our house a week before the last collection of the year and wanting to do a lot of tidy-up in the garden...

Shame to here this. I'd like to here details about what that money was actually spent on as I'm not exactly sure what they might have needed to pay for out of their own pocket rather than the project.

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
What has a council spent money on due to HS2, that wouldn't be funded by the project? I assume it has mainly gone in the pockets of consultants producing fancy slide decks rather than building anything. Sounds a dangerous gamble with borrowed money, even if it worked it would be a good few years until they even started to see any return

I find this puzzling as well. If the council are specifically blaming the cancellation of HS2 for their problems, that seems to imply that they were somehow expecting to get their £11M back soon as a result of the HS2 works. But off the top of my head I can't see how HS2 being built would cause the council to get that money in the near future. Much as I deplore HS2 having been cancelled, my first instinct is to conclude that Cheshire East couldn't afford to spend that £11M and would therefore be equally likely to go bankrupt with or without HS2 (although clearly the dire financial situation of local Government must be a big factor too).

THC

Local authority head of corporate services here. People forget all too easily that the sector has seen a 40-50% cut in core funding over the last decade, at a time when service demand is ever increasing - rising homelessness, adult social care and the like. Previously investments like that made here by Cheshire East would have been funded from reserves. Now the reserves are largely gone to make up for years of finding shortfalls. Anyone accusing councils of mismanagement or profligacy is pointing their guns at the wrong target. One section 114 is careless - ten is a system breakdown. And that's on central government.

THC

Bayum

Established Member
Local authority head of corporate services here. People forget all too easily that the sector has seen a 40-50% cut in core funding over the last decade, at a time when service demand is ever increasing - rising homelessness, adult social care and the like. Previously investments like that made here by Cheshire East would have been funded from reserves. Now the reserves are largely gone to make up for years of finding shortfalls. Anyone accusing councils of mismanagement or profligacy is pointing their guns at the wrong target. One section 114 is careless - ten is a system breakdown. And that's on central government.

THC
Came to say this 100%. Besides being part of an LA. Story is the same, everywhere. Unfortunately, we only ever seem to hear of Labour-run councils in these dire straits.

THC

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
I believe some of this loaned money was used to purchase land earmarked for HS2 office buildings (temporary usage) such as land on Weston Road, land on Macon Way and another location I can't recall.

They purchase the land to make life easier for when HS2 required it, only now they seemingly won't. Not sure why they don't just sell them now though, though likely at a loss.

jfollows

Established Member
Councils were limited in the amount by which they could increase Council Tax for the current financial year by diktat from central government, limited to <5% when inflation was running at significantly more than this. As a payer, I'd have been prepared to pay more than the actual +4.99%. It will mean that, in due course, the Council Tax will increase by more than it would otherwise have done. Council Tax income runs at £271m out of a total £353m with the addition of business rates (£55m) and central government grants (£27m).
However the Council Tax rates are already high, ~£2,500 for band E, which I think is towards the top of council rates (although I could be wrong).
EDIT Essentially if the Council Tax had gone up by 10% then this particular financial hole wouldn't exist.

Last edited: