• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Children 'train surfing' in Maesteg & Garth

Status
Not open for further replies.
BBC said:
Children as young as seven have been seen trying to "train surf" in south Wales, British Transport Police say.

They warn youngsters are putting their lives at risk by trying to hold on to moving trains at Maesteg and Garth stations in Bridgend county.

Full story here

I genuinely thought that it didn't happen here. I am deeply shocked, especially as young as that.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
I've seen young kids hanging on to the barrier of the level crossing in Porthmadog and trying to see who can stay on longest as it rises. Also very dangerous but more about road vehicles avoiding them as they fall off.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
there used to be a problem with it in south east London, on the Networkers, as they had (for maintainence purposes) steps on the cab ends. These now have sloping shrouds over them,

Anon Mouse

Established Member
How long before another James Street? Eventhough they are Childeren I cannot belive the stupididty

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
From ten years ago:

[the judge] said the trend needed the maximum amount of publicity, "to ensure nobody else ever does anything as reckless again".

Not sure I agree - for every person who's put off, there's probably half a dozen who think "hey, that sounds fun, and I'm not an idiot so I'll duck if there's a bridge".

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
About 20 years ago smoebody died doing that on the tube.

Very stupid and reckless. When they say 'train surfing', does that mean hanging onto the side of it or clambering on top? The OP gives me the impression its about hanging on the side, the one above is about being on top

anthony263

Established Member
Read about this in the local newspaper, the BTP are supposed to be increasing patrols.

There does seem to be a problem with antisocial behaviour along the line between Tondu & Maesteg which is one reason why there is no late night departures from Maesteg after 22:15

Lets hope the BTP take a hard line on these kids when they catch them and threaten to take their parents to court etc.

Anon Mouse

Established Member
Read about this in the local newspaper, the BTP are supposed to be increasing patrols.

There does seem to be a problem with antisocial behaviour along the line between Tondu & Maesteg which is one reason why there is no late night departures from Maesteg after 22:15

Lets hope the BTP take a hard line on these kids when they catch them and threaten to take their parents to court etc.

Just hope something is done before there is a fatality and the Guard ends up getting the blame for assuming they would move away

anthony263

Established Member
Just hope something is done before there is a fatality and the Guard ends up getting the blame for assuming they would move away

This has also sprung to my mind and no doubt the case of that guard in mersyside will also be on the minds of the ATW staff who are working the Maesteg services

Anon Mouse

Established Member
This has also sprung to my mind and no doubt the case of that guard in mersyside will also be on the minds of the ATW staff who are working the Maesteg services

and whats more alarming is that the James Street scenario is such an easy one to get into, especially as its involving kids messing about without being capable of understanding the full consequenses

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
How long before another James Street? Even though they are Children I cannot believe the stupidity

Parents and schools both have a responsibility to educate children in this respect, but events over the years have shown that children caught up in "the excitement of the moment" totally lose all the effects of such warnings. I am afraid that this appears to be human nature.

Anon Mouse

Established Member
Parents and schools both have a responsibility to educate children in this respect, but events over the years have shown that children caught up in "the excitement of the moment" totally lose all the effects of such warnings. I am afraid that this appears to be human nature.

Maybe they should do it the same way as the Aussies and be blunt, to the point and honest and show them CCTV of fatalities caused by this kind of behaviour and show them photos of injuries and corpses. Obviously the PC brigade would be up in arms, but the only way to combat this is by a short sharp shock method and scare the living daylights out of the little ba****ds! <D

anthony263

Established Member
Maybe they should do it the same way as the Aussies and be blunt, to the point and honest and show them CCTV of fatalities caused by this kind of behaviour and show them photos of injuries and corpses. Obviously the PC brigade would be up in arms, but the only way to combat this is by a short sharp shock method and scare the living daylights out of the little ba****ds! <D

True enough and maybe someone should tell the PC brigade, that they are not helping the situation and to just shut up

theblackwatch

Established Member
About 20 years ago smoebody died doing that on the tube.

Very stupid and reckless. When they say 'train surfing', does that mean hanging onto the side of it or clambering on top? The OP gives me the impression its about hanging on the side, the one above is about being on top

I believe it normally involves hanging onto the back of a train. I recall quite a few years ago there was an episode of 'Byker Grove' (anyone remember that?) when a kid was seriously injured doing it on the Tyne & Wear Metro to highlight the dangers of it to youngsters.

Anon Mouse

Established Member
I believe it normally involves hanging onto the back of a train. I recall quite a few years ago there was an episode of 'Byker Grove' (anyone remember that?) when a kid was seriously injured doing it on the Tyne & Wear Metro to highlight the dangers of it to youngsters.

I've seen them clinging on holding onto an open hopper window. Some young lad injured himself when he got stuck after someone slammed the hopper shut and he hit the tunnel at North Shields. His Mum tried to sue Nexus for negligence :roll:

I've also heard about them doing it through an open cab window in a 142 too

ATWalex101 said:
When they say 'train surfing', does that mean hanging onto the side of it or clambering on top? The OP gives me the impression its about hanging on the side, the one above is about being on top
I believe it normally involves hanging onto the back of a train.

I always took it to mean hanging onto the back, but as you say the article leads you to believe they are hanging onto the side.

As the Maesteg branch is generally run with 150s (though there are relatively regular 158s and the occasional 175), they could be grabbing where the doors are inlet.

Silv1983

there used to be a problem with it in south east London, on the Networkers, as they had (for maintainence purposes) steps on the cab ends. These now have sloping shrouds over them,

I recall this well as I used to live in Sidcup, and more than once I saw 3 or 4 scroats holding onto the rail under the window of the rear cab as the train left the station. I always wondered how they discouraged it.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
I've seen them clinging on holding onto an open hopper window. Some young lad injured himself when he got stuck after someone slammed the hopper shut and he hit the tunnel at North Shields. His Mum tried to sue Nexus for negligence :roll:

I've also heard about them doing it through an open cab window in a 142 too

His mum is part of the problem too....

wintonian

Established Member
There is this incident from 2009 regarding the surfing of a Holyborne - Eastleigh freight train.

Source: The Delay Attribution Board

I do like this paragraph:
DB Schenker considers that this incident should be treated as
trespass under DAG Section 4.36. It is clear from the factual events
set out above that the individual was a trespasser as he had no valid
ticket for travel. He also had no authority to board and travel on 6Y33.
Later in the day he also travelled on 2E48 without a ticket and was
arrested by BTP.

Last edited:

jon0844

Veteran Member
I recall quite a few years ago there was an episode of 'Byker Grove' (anyone remember that?) when a kid was seriously injured doing it on the Tyne & Wear Metro to highlight the dangers of it to youngsters.

And now, we've got Geordie Shore to teach a new generation!

table38

Established Member
They do it on the Manchester Metrolink as well, then film each other :(

[youtube]zQyE4qFysVY[/youtube]

TBH, I'm suprised this video is even on youtube as it might encourage others.

Anon Mouse

Established Member
Muppets. No doubt if one of those freaks got injured or killed it will be the Tram Driver to blame

CarltonA

I think there was a case near Ealing Broadway in the 90's. A guard entered the rear cab and caught two youngsters hanging onto the windscreen wipers.

Anon Mouse

Established Member
I think there was a case near Ealing Broadway in the 90's. A guard entered the rear cab and caught two youngsters hanging onto the windscreen wipers.

I would of literally crapped myself, the things they will do for high jinx :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.