• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Chiltern diagrams

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

Does anyone know what services Chiltern drivers based at Marylebone drive? Is it just the longer distance stuff are the more local runs on their diagrams too? Also what about Aylesbury drivers? Are they confined to their branch or do they get to spread their wings on the mainline?

Many thanks!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RPM

Established Member
Very much a mix of work at both depots. Aylesbury drivers don't do any loco hauled work though. I'll reply in more detail when I'm at home.

t_star2001uk

Marylebone drivers drive the core route as far as Birmingham Snow Hill, the met line to Aylesbury Vale Parkway and the branch from Princes Risborough to Aylesbury. There is a small group who also sign to Willesden TMD as well. Traction is 165, 168, 172 and 67/dvt. Hope that helps....

RPM

Established Member
I think on balance Marylebone drivers have slightly more "Mainline" work than Aylesbury drivers; their work is a fairly even mix of local, semi-fast and express services.

Aylesbury drivers cover the same routes but have the lion's share of work over the "Met" and have a range of local and semi-fast services out of MYB. Aylesbury depot also have a small number of Birmingham workings including one of two quite fast ones. It is possible (but by no means certain) that Aylesbury will lose their Birmingham work at some point over the next few years, but the depot is likely to gain a lot of the new Oxford work and most if not all of the Milton Keynes work when EWR opens.

Currently not all Marylebone drivers sign the loco-hauled services but it is likely that this will change over the next few years.

Aylesbury is a larger depot and is split into two main links. The work in each link is very similar but Link 1 also sign the route into Paddington and the class 121s.

There is a small depot link at Aylesbury for accommodated drivers but it is not enough to cover all the depot/shunt work at Aylesbury TMD so main line drivers are also rostered to do this. There is no depot link at Marylebone so main line drivers have rostered turns at Wembley LMD.

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
If geography is not an issue then I'd pick Marylebone over Aylesbury in a heartbeat, though not having first hand experience of the Wembley work Marylebone drivers have to do does polarise my opinion somewhat.

I presume you are interested in Chiltern. I'd say if you are in West Drayton then Banbury is probably just as easy to get to as Aylesbury (certainly by rail) and their work is pretty good too, though again everything might change there once the station is remodelled, Oxford is open and the proposed shed is or is not in place.

NickBucks

Hi Just out of interest to an amateur. How do the 165 units get to Oxford to operate the Oxford - Bicester Town Service. I assume the driver has a lonely task with not many services per day ? Thanks

RPM

Established Member
They come round via Banbury usually. I'm not sure how often the unit gets swapped but its home depot is Aylesbury.

Unit is swapped daily, and as you say, it is worked from Banbury where it has been stabled the previous night. Drivers working Bicester Town services later in the day get to Oxford by travelling pass on XC services. All Bicester Town workings are covered by drivers from Banbury Depot.

Status
Not open for further replies.