• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Chiltern Main Line Past Rolling stock

Status
Not open for further replies.

MatthewRead

On Moderation
After the demise of 115's and 47's is it true the Chiltern Main Line was entirely run by Class 165's between July 1992 and May 1998?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

david1212

Established Member
AFAIK yes and onwards with a mix of 165's & 168's until the Wrexham & Shropshire operation commenced.

Further pre W&S I wonder when the last scheduled loco hauled train to/from Marylebone was?

While 47's and coaches did run on Chiltern services into Marylebone prior to July 1992 my understanding is they were substitutes for a shortage of DMU's rather than formally scheduled.
I know in the 1980's there were numerous steam specials, some to Stratford-upon-Avon.
There may have been other excursions with Marylebone as either the starting point or destination.

Further back there was a daily, or at least weekday, loco hauled train but that went via Greenford to Paddington. All other services calling at Banbury were (re)routed via Oxford.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
After the demise of 115's and 47's is it true the Chiltern Main Line was entirely run by Class 165's between July 1992 and May 1998?
Indeed, they managed with only 32 165s (165008-165039) for much of that time as 165001-165007 went to the Thames route in 1993 to enable conversion of the North Downs Line to Turbo operation. 165006/07 were back by the end of that period.

Ken H

On Moderation
Before the turbos it was mainly DMU. But there was a Paddington - Banbury loco hauled train via Wycombe and Risborough. I caught it a few times in about 1988. Was a Cl 50 one time. Think it went to Brum for a while. Most of the day Chiltern trains terminated before or at Banbury. Onward travel was via cross country trains.

Status
Not open for further replies.