• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Chiltern Railways - Apprentice Train Drivers - Multiple Locations (26/01/23)

moonie95

Hi

Which station did you apply for and when did you have to submit the VSE?

I applied for Aylesbury back in November, submitted the VSE at Christmas (had to be submitted by New Year's Day) and have heard nothing since. Application still saying in progress
It was for Marylebone, I didn’t do online test as I’ve already conducted it with another TOC in last 6 months

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

12LDA28C

Established Member
Yer that doesn't look good. Be nice if they had told us after putting in all that effort to attend the OPC.

Maybe if OPC testing is still ongoing, they are waiting until that has been concluded until proceeding to the next stage of the process... just a thought.

Calpe

My stage 2 was at the end of January
I also did my stage 2 at end of January and have been told by Chiltern recruitment that I have passed but still waiting to hear a date for a DMI, possibly affected due to my notice period in my current role. Did they give you any indication when the next trainee courses may be if the March ones are now full?

Wannbedriver

Maybe if OPC testing is still ongoing, they are waiting until that has been concluded until proceeding to the next stage of the process... just a thought.
I hope you’re right but if people are hearing back and others have just had their DMIs then I might have missed out! Just be nice to hear either way

IAmGROOT

Chiltern use National / Standard testing plus VSE (which you might class as 'enhanced' as the VSE is additional). As has been mentioned many times on these forums, there is no precise definition of 'enhanced' testing which may include an enhanced pass mark or additional tests, as considered appropriate for each specific TOC's requirements. If you have passed certain specific tests already, you should not be expected to retake those tests again at Watford.
Chiltern is advanced, I had mine last year, and reading on here they use standard, then got in there and was told they use advance

Just FYI

Locomok

I also did my stage 2 at end of January and have been told by Chiltern recruitment that I have passed but still waiting to hear a date for a DMI, possibly affected due to my notice period in my current role. Did they give you any indication when the next trainee courses may be if the March ones are now full?

That sounds plausible, my current role ends very soon so maybe I was pushed forward due to that.

12LDA28C

Established Member
Chiltern is advanced, I had mine last year, and reading on here they use standard, then got in there and was told they use advance

Just FYI

I think you mean 'enhanced'. As previously stated, there is no blanket definition of 'enhanced'. Chiltern do not require an enhanced pass mark or any additional tests above the national standard apart from the VSE test. Hope that clears things up, FYI.

Spincity

I think you mean 'enhanced'. As previously stated, there is no blanket definition of 'enhanced'. Chiltern do not require an enhanced pass mark or any additional tests above the national standard apart from the VSE test. Hope that clears things up, FYI.
why do people struggle with this. There a national standard and there’s enhanced, there’s not a single enhanced standard there are numerous version depending on the TOC. Gets boring when read ‘I passed to xxx TOC enhanced standard but another TOC are asking me to attend an assessment…it’s not fair/right/conspiracy etc’. It’s simple either confirm with the TOC what you are doing or turn up, having practiced everything and hoping you’ll have a long coffee break instead. Ultimately you’ve applied for the job, if the TOC want you to do x,y,z….just do it. Rant over

sugarplumb

Has anyone heard from chiltern? My app still seems to be processing despite applying in Dec? Has anyone managed to actually contact to find out what's happening by phoning or emailing?

moonie95

Hi, regarding the trainee train driver role I applied for Marylebone, received this email on Wednesday few days ago.

Attachments

• IMG_5257.jpeg
    IMG_5257.jpeg
    465.6 KB · Views: 99

Hamna

Hi is there anyone who applied for trainee train driver position for Aylesbury depot and here back anything. I do VSE test in December for that position and didn’t hear back anything yet which makes me worried

puffpuffgive

Hi is there anyone who applied for trainee train driver position for Aylesbury depot and here back anything. I do VSE test in December for that position and didn’t hear back anything yet which makes me worried
I'm in the same position and not heard anything yet.

Locomok

Any insights or tips on what the DMI is like? Any similarities to the MMI at all?
Yeah similar competency based questions

I didn’t pass but what surprises me is that I wasn’t told. I emailed chasing a result and the girl at Arriva responded immediately to tell me I was unsuccessful.

After three months of tests and visits to OPC you’d hope they treated you better than that, successful or otherwise.

The email was very blunt as well so I’m not sure what options I have now. I believe I can reapply for Chiltern in six months.

12LDA28C

Established Member
The email was very blunt as well so I’m not sure what options I have now. I believe I can reapply for Chiltern in six months.

You could take your OPC passes to another TOC/FOC, just be aware that they may still require you to take additional tests if you haven't taken those specific tests already.

Locomok

You could take your OPC passes to another TOC/FOC, just be aware that they may still require you to take additional tests if you haven't taken those specific tests already.

Thanks, my location is going to make it difficult I think but I’m not giving up.

SouthernStar

Yeah similar competency based questions

I didn’t pass but what surprises me is that I wasn’t told. I emailed chasing a result and the girl at Arriva responded immediately to tell me I was unsuccessful.

After three months of tests and visits to OPC you’d hope they treated you better than that, successful or otherwise.

Ah that’s disappointing, did they give you any feedback, or what to work on?