• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Chiltern Railways - fare evasion prosecution

Status
Not open for further replies.

AB333

How would you write an email to TIL, to ask for an out-of-court settlement?

My sister was caught with a childs ticket instead of an adult ticket. Only saving around £1.50, which was stupid and she agrees. She pays for tickets that are like ten times more expensive, all the time. She's a full time healthcare student, so a conviction would jeopardise her career greatly.

Their emails and letters (she received 1 letter from chiltern railways and an email from TIL) haven't mentioned a settlement at all. Only said in the TIL email "If convicted the maximum penalty for this offence is a fine of up to £1000 and or three months in prison (albeit unlikely for a first offence)". They say that she owes an amount over £3,000, as they have found several cases (although I don't think their maths is correct). Shes's already sent an email saying what happened, that she is very sorry and regrets her decisions, also that she has learnt her lesson and hasn't done it since (which is true and they can see on the trainline app).

She wants to include in the letter that she is a full time uni student going into healthcare, and the effect a conviction would have on her career. She suffers from anxiety issues and so I'm trying to handle this for her. I'm really concerned for her and her mental health, I know she regrets it and wants to pay what she owes, as she has definitely learnt her lesson. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

island

Veteran Member
I think the first question is – and being honest – on what basis don't you think "their maths is correct"? How many times has this happened?

Veteran Member
The second question: have they stated what legislation they intend to prosecute under? Could you post a redacted copy of the correspondence?

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Welcome to the forum!

I'm assuming that the letter says they have received a report, are considering prosecuting you and asking for your version of events. It is important that you engage with and reply to this letter. You might want to include the following in your reply:

- That you are sorry for what has happened
- What you have learned from the incident
- That you are keen to settle the matter without the need for court action
- Offer to pay the outstanding fare and the train company's administrative costs in dealing with the matter

Make sure your reply is short and concise, don't give a sob story - they've heard it all before. Most train companies are usually prepared to offer an administrative settlement (commonly known as an out of court settlement) to people who engage with the process and who haven't come to their attention before.

There is no guarantee of being offered a settlement, if you are offered one the amount varies depending on the train company and circumstances but tend to be around a hundred pounds plus the outstanding fare. An out of court settlement might appear to be a fine, but it isn't and you won't have a criminal record as a result of accepting one, but the best chance of keeping the matter out of court is to be proactive and not mess them around any further.

Tallguy

Chiltern are my local TOC. If TIL are stating that your sister owes over £3,000 then this is obviously more than a one off in their eyes. As others have stated could you post up redacted copies of all the emails and letters your sister has received?

HelpMe406

How did they find out that she owes over £3000? I’m confused if she was only caught once with a child ticket

HelpMe406

Maybe through the Trainline app the OP uses to purchase tickets. I’m not sure how else they would know if he has stated it’s the OP first time being caught with a child ticket.

Status
Not open for further replies.