• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Chippenham to Liverpool not via Birmingham?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lachlan

Hello all, currently getting very frustrated trying to book train tickets from Chippenham to Liverpool as the itinerary that suits us (via London) is not visible. Is this a permitted route? Is there a way to get a valid itinerary on a booking site for this route?

This nonsense makes it hard to justify the train over driving :'(

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JonathanH

Veteran Member
What is the itinerary that suits you?

The fares between Chippenham and Liverpool don't include a Maltese cross so don't include going on the London Underground. Consequently there is no itinerary via London. You may need to split tickets.

If you are using an off-peak return, you may be able to book from Trowbridge to Liverpool and start short at Chippenham as, on that flow, there is a more expensive ticket routed via +London.

Last edited:

6Gman

Established Member
Using the National Rail site and setting "via London" produces an itinerary via Paddington, Euston, Warrington (!) and Newton le Willows (!!!).

Which seems a little odd to say the least.

(Is Weaver Junction - Edge Hill shut for engineering or something?)

lachlan

What is the itinerary that suits you?

The fares between Chippenham and Liverpool don't include a Maltese cross so don't include going on the London Underground. Consequently there is no itinerary via London. You may need to split tickets.
Thanks, was looking at the 1757 from Chippenham, changing on to the 1943 at Euston. I confirmed with National Rail too that it isn't a valid route.

Do you happen to know if there's any split ticket website that you can force a route via London?

In this case I think we'll end up with the via Birmingham route as is by far the cheapest. Will need to leave a bit earlier on the Friday.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Thanks, was looking at the 1757 from Chippenham, changing on to the 1943 at Euston. I confirmed with National Rail too that it isn't a valid route.

Do you happen to know if there's any split ticket website that you can force a route via London?

In this case I think we'll end up with the via Birmingham route as is by far the cheapest. Will need to leave a bit earlier on the Friday.
What about www.trainsplit.com?

JonathanH

Veteran Member
That itinerary would be too tight for a booking in any case. The 1757 arrives at Paddington at 1908. With 15 minute interchanges, and the transfer time, it is too tight for 1943, although in practice could be made if everything is on time.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Hello all, currently getting very frustrated trying to book train tickets from Chippenham to Liverpool as the itinerary that suits us (via London) is not visible. Is this a permitted route? Is there a way to get a valid itinerary on a booking site for this route?
We will sell that on the forum's site; in advanced mode specify via: London.

If you have any other requirements, such as where to change trains, you can specify up to 3 locations to either go via, call at or change at, along with up to 3 to avoid completely, avoid calling at or avoid changing at.
This nonsense makes it hard to justify the train over driving :'(
That's one of the reasons that forum members put so much effort into making our site different ;)

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Having played around with the site, which will give a 1726 departure from Chippenham onto the 1943 from Euston by specifying going via Milton Keynes, I suspect that the idea of booking long from Trowbridge is going to be cheaper than split tickets in this case, although it comes with a premium of around £30 over the fare from Chippenham.

It gave a split of Chippenham to London Terminals, and London Zone 1 to Liverpool.

MrJeeves

Established Member
There is also a much longer, probably even less enjoyable route (duration and potential rolling stock) through Wales and the Borderlands Line. This is £63.40pp for flexible singles with no railcards, and you can travel at any time of day (well 0845 or later, so basically) or (at the moment) £42.25pp for Advance tickets.

It does take a fair bit longer, though some of the Transport for Wales services between Cardiff and Holyhead are quite plush with a restaurant car which you can upgrade for if that tickles your fancy.

1700442574707.png

lachlan

A general point: do you qualify for any railcards?
Yes, we travel on my disabled railcard

If you have any other requirements, such as where to change trains, you can specify up to 3 locations to either go via, call at or change at, along with up to 3 to avoid completely, avoid calling at or avoid changing at.

That's one of the reasons that forum members put so much effort into making our site different ;)
I didn't even think about using the forum booking tool - will try and remember for next time! Thanks
There is also a much longer, probably even less enjoyable route (duration and potential rolling stock) through Wales and the Borderlands Line. This is £63.40pp for flexible singles with no railcards, and you can travel at any time of day (well 0845 or later, so basically) or (at the moment) £42.25pp for Advance tickets.

It does take a fair bit longer, though some of the Transport for Wales services between Cardiff and Holyhead are quite plush with a restaurant car which you can upgrade for if that tickles your fancy.

View attachment 146978
Thanks for this, good to know - we ended up going with the easier option but had I been traveling myself this would have been a strong contender

Status
Not open for further replies.