• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Chippenham to Oxford return - faster via Reading?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lachlan

I'm looking to travel from Chippenham to Oxford return later today. The fare is £13.05 with a railcard and getting there is no problem. However, on the way back, it seems the Chippenham trains skip Didcot and there is a gap of 2.5 hours in service. Google Maps recommends I double back at a Reading but the return ticket specifically says "not via Reading".

How did we end up in this ridiculous situation where the fastest route isn't valid? I have experienced this before where from Bristol Parkway to Chippenham it was fastest via Swindon but this wasn't valid with the GWR smart card I was using.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Chippenham to Oxford is valid via Reading; just not on a "not via Reading" ticket.

You may board the trains via Reading and be prepared to pay the excess of £12.40 if requested.

What time are you looking to depart Oxford? The gap isn't longer than 1.5hrs; there's nothing stoping you changing additionally at Didcot, is there? Yes it's slower but the choice is either save money or save time.

1699786110210.png

lachlan

Chippenham to Oxford is valid via Reading; just not on a "not via Reading" ticket.

You may board the trains via Reading and be prepared to pay the excess of £12.40 if requested.

What time are you looking to depart Oxford? The gap isn't longer than 1.5hrs; there's nothing stoping you changing additionally at Didcot, is there? Yes it's slower but the choice is either save money or save time.

View attachment 146415
Thanks for this, 1955 might be a bit of a rush but I may try this one.

If I bord the Reading train on a Chippenham-Oxford return, can I be prosecuted for not having a ticket or would I just be made to buy a new one as you describe?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
If I bord the Reading train on a Chippenham-Oxford return, can I be prosecuted for not having a ticket or would I just be made to buy a new one as you describe?
Neither; you are entitled to the excess.

The procedure for staff to follow is:

National Rail Conditions of Travel (Condition 13.4) permits customers to travel by a different route, from the one stated on the ticket or allowed by conditions of the National Routeing Guide, to make their journey on payment of an Excess fare. The Excess fare is calculated as follows:
  • RETURN TICKETS (Change in one direction) - Half the difference between the price already paid and price of the cheapest Return ticket, available for immediate travel that allows the customer to travel on the route and Train Company of their choice.

mangyiscute

Established Member
From what I can see you'd need to make the 2016 service to Reading, else the 2130 is the next fastest option anyway

4COR

If cost is an issue, you could consider alighting at Swindon, and using the S6 to Oxford for £2 single. It won't necessarily be any quicker though....

Status
Not open for further replies.