• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Christmas 2022 train timetables

Status
Not open for further replies.

kristiang85

Established Member
I'm trying to look for trains between London/Scotand/North England for the week between 24th and 31st December, but on both NR and split ticketing they either show scant trains with no fares (or v. expensive fares for the couple that are fared), long journey times or saying that no timetables have been released yet (presumably due to engineering)

Does anybody know when the Christmas week trains are likely to be released? I'm trying to make all my plans but its impossible to do so without this information, and I don't want to miss out on advances.

The main places I'm looking at are London/Edinburgh/Newcastle/Leeds.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
I'm trying to look for trains between London/Scotand/North England for the week between 24th and 31st December, but on both NR and split ticketing they either show scant trains with no fares (or v. expensive fares for the couple that are fared), long journey times or saying that no timetables have been released yet (presumably due to engineering)

Does anybody know when the Christmas week trains are likely to be released? I'm trying to make all my plans but its impossible to do so without this information, and I don't want to miss out on advances.

Have you signed up for a mail alert from LNER (bottom of home page)?

Established Member

LNER tickets are only available up to and including Tuesday 20th December, with some exclusions.
As the poster above suggested I would sign up at Www.lner.co.uk and register your date for a ticket alert. They will email you on the day the tickets are released.

Alternatively tweet them, and they may advise of a rough date for release.

kristiang85

Established Member
OK thanks both, I'll do that. Does it look likely travel will be possible and bearable in that period when tickets are finally released? (I'd rather do something else if it means sardine conditions due to lack of trains and engineering). The alternative to to fly somewhere, but obviously I'd rather book that sooner rather than later given its the holiday period...

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Timetables should be confirmed and Advance tickets released within the next week or two - best to set up an alert on the relevant operators' websites so you know as soon as they're released.

I doubt that flights will get significantly more expensive in the intervening period; the Christmas/NY premium is generally already priced in as soon as flights are released.

Established Member
From Lner

We will release Christmas and New year reservations on Tuesday 8th November 2022.

This will cover the travel period between the 21stDecember 2022 – 6th January 2023.

Frankfurt

Buses replace trains between York and Darlington from Tuesday 27 December to Sunday 1 January (Engineering works).

LondonExile

For London to Newcastle - whilst LNER haven't released advanced tickets yet, Grand Central have done from London to Sunderland. Getting from Sunderland to Newcastle on Northern or Tyne and Wear Metro services is quick, cheap and easy enough to do.

Veteran Member
Buses replace trains between York and Darlington from Tuesday 27 December to Sunday 1 January (Engineering works).
The full info from NRE for LNER is:
LNER:

An hourly service will run between London Kings Cross and Newcastle / Scotland which will divert around York.

In addition a service will run between London Kings Cross and York and also between Newcastle and Edinburgh every two hours.

Rail replacement buses will run between Darlington and York (calling at Northallerton).
So diversions via the York Avoiders - some of the work must be at the North end of York station as it affects the Scarborough line.

Established Member
The full info from NRE for LNER is:

So diversions via the York Avoiders - some of the work must be at the North end of York station as it affects the Scarborough line.
A couple heading south in the morning, and north on an evening go via avoider with a reverse into station

Last edited:

Kite159

Veteran Member
Quite rare use of the York Avoider heading southwards.

Anyhow I'm glad of this thread as it reminded me to check for engineering works at Romford for that period as I had a hotel booked for an UK railtour on the Friday of that week. I since found that it's buses in the Romford area so I've switched over my hotel booking to Welwyn. Had I left it for longer I could have been out of pocket a lot more

JamesT

Established Member
LNER have released tickets up to the 6th of January today. Just booked my trip home for Christmas.

Status
Not open for further replies.