• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Christmas Eve Final Trains

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kite159

Veteran Member
Anyone use any services today? Busy?
I popped to Reading for some last minute shopping, and was at Basingstoke around 08:30 seeing 3 trains depart for London within 10 minutes of each other. 1x triple 159, 1x triple 450 & a pair of 444s, and I would guess barely 30 passengers across all 3 trains (based on counting bodies when they departed). Last Basingstoke - Salisbury train was reasonably busy, but nothing that bad.

GWR to/from Reading was lightly loaded both ways and that was a 2 coach unit.

mm333

Anyone use any services today? Busy?
I travelled from Canterbury to Cleethorpes today.

The train up to London was quietish, although I was in the front carriage of 12 so that might’ve have been one reason.

I was in the front carriage of a 10 car Azuma from Kings Cross to Doncaster and it was about 70% occupied.

And then on the last TPX to Cleethorpes. It was its usual level of busy.

So still plenty of people travelling today but not jammed or empty.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Used Merseyrail today. Despite the finishing time not being that much later than usual on Christmas Eve (last trains from Liverpool around 1700-1800*, I guess no engineering works to worry about) it was VERY quiet. Yet the city centre and Chester were heaving - I guess most went by car or bus.

* Last departure from Liverpool Central was an 1800 to Rock Ferry. Last Northern Line was a 1750 to Kirkby. Which is a bit earlier than usual (they're normally I think about 2000) but usable unlike finishing at lunchtime!

Veteran Member
Even without strikes, Christmas Eve services have tended to be quiet if it's a Saturday.(or Sunday?) - most people have travelled/sorted last minute presents by then.

MCSHF007

Any idea why a city the size of Bradford was totally abandoned by Northern today? I understand why the Calder Valley service via Interchange can't be operated but Forster Square usually has a limited service (together with Skipton and Ilkley) on 'strike days' - including 27th December.

notverydeep

In scheduled terms.

Last train in GB today was on the Isle of Wight: 2116 Ryde Esplanade - Ryde St Johns Road
On the mainland, the last train was 1741 Glasgow Queen Street to Perth (arriving 1845)
In England, it was the 1721 Hunts Cross to Southport
In Wales, it was the 1448 Paddington to Swansea
Presumably many later LU services albeit not on NR controlled infrastructure, including one or two short journeys wholly after 00:00 and thus technically Christmas Day. Also, I would guess Metro services around Tyneside?

Veteran Member
Any idea why a city the size of Bradford was totally abandoned by Northern today? I understand why the Calder Valley service via Interchange can't be operated but Forster Square usually has a limited service (together with Skipton and Ilkley) on 'strike days' - including 27th December.
Presumably because of insufficient managers to staff the relevant panel?

Status
Not open for further replies.