• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Christmas/new year

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris shewry

Hi just got a job on GWR can anyone tell me if christmas day boxing day and new years are to be taken off as hoilday or do you have to work them many thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dk1

Veteran Member
Christmas Day & Boxing Day are usually guaranteed at English TOCs. New Years Day means nothing.

12C

It will depend on your job/location. For an accurate answer you’re best asking your line manager or colleagues what the arrangements are rather than on here.

Some TOC staff do have to work Xmas, especially at engineering depots but if you do it’s usually at an enhanced rate of pay with leave back in lieu.

Wyrleybart

Established Member
Hi just got a job on GWR can anyone tell me if christmas day boxing day and new years are to be taken off as hoilday or do you have to work them many thanks
Where I work we do not run trains on Christmas day and Boxing day, so if those are working days on my planned roster they are deducted from my annual leave quota. Except if i am planned to work my night shift on Boxing day night I go to work. Our Scottish depot does not run any trains on new year's day

chris shewry

Christmas Day & Boxing Day are usually guaranteed at English TOCs. New Years Day means nothing.

thanks you for the reply

Where I work we do not run trains on Christmas day and Boxing day, so if those are working days on my planned roster they are deducted from my annual leave quota. Except if i am planned to work my night shift on Boxing day night I go to work. Our Scottish depot does not run any trains on new year's day
thanks for that i did think that thanks for reply

Busyboy89

At ours. If your booked to work Xmas day and Boxing Day you get them off, if your already off them days you get 2 extra leave days. Think every where is different so speak to union or line manager at your place of work :)

Undiscovered

WMT you need to book Christmas and Boxing day as leave, if you're due to work them and you want to be paid. Otherwise, it goes down as Unpaid leave, and you lose two days pay. Those days then stay on your floating/ad hoc leave allocation.
It's worth checking how many days you can carry over into the next Leave year, as you might find you're over the maximum and would lose the days anyway. Have a word with the old hands at the depot, and contact rosters accordingly.

Jamesrob637

Established Member

No Northern in the North East on New Year's Day either.

Status
Not open for further replies.