• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

'Circle to Search Line' and Samsung ads

vuzzeho

So, for the Galaxy S24 series, Samsung has redone King's Cross St Pancras (and some other stations, I'm sure) with promo about its new circle to search feature with 'Galaxy AI'. This includes vinyls which seem like wayfinding signs (down to the font!) pointing towards the 'Circle to Search Line' and an entire, circular, Tube map. I could see a couple travellers get confused looking at the Tube map, but generally I don't think this is as bad as the 'Burberry Street' thing we had a while ago. The Tube map, confusing in its layout, is actually accurate from what I saw (in terms of stops and things) and the 'Circle to Search Line' signs do actually point towards the Circle line platforms. Also, the regular wayfinding is still up. On a tech nerd level, it's interesting that this is the feature Samsung is so heavily advertising, as the Pixel 8 will receive it same-day as the S24s. Here's an image of it though - sorry about the text, I just ripped it from my Instagram.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    118.4 KB · Views: 209
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bspahh

Established Member
On Twitter, @timmydunn wrote about these adverts:
I’m prob late to the party on #circulartubemap (a mobile ‘phone co has partnered with @TfL to create ads with the tube map as a basis) BUT at lunchtime I went to Blackfriars, one of 5 Circle line stations where ad spots have been bought, to see them. Nobody asked for my take (er, so here it is anyway; in one tweet)… as I think they’re rather good.

Some observers may complain that it’s TfL selling out*. Well, it doesn’t have much choice: it has to raise a budget shortfall (attributable variously, inc politicians of both major parties) and like it or not, asset sponsorship has been identified as a suitable income stream.

There was much debate following the temp sponsored renaming of Bond Street to Benettoberryski Street (or similar?) last year, and this feels it’s been executed with more regard to implications.

One theory about playing with brand assets is that it can confuse people who aren’t regular TfL users: but this campaign avoids it:
(a) limited to 5 locations
(b) clearly an ad when away from platforms
(c) adjacent to iconic real maps when they ARE on platforms
(d) still functions as a useful tube diagram.

The v talented Jon Hunter of TfL Design** has clearly had some fun with this. Long-time Underground map aficionados will recognise its roots in circular or roundel-shaped maps by ppl like Maxwell Roberts et al. And - why not? It’s life imitating art imitating life. Etc.

In fact, just like the
Heart emoji
of #tube160 roundel (which upset some purists
‍♂️shrug emoji
but actually had a much deeper, beautiful meta truth and a story arc of more than 90 yrs behind it) I see this as a team at the world’s greatest transport network playing back the speculative tube map designs that are hurled at them on an occasional basis, and FINALLY at long last, given the opportunity to have some fun at long last, throwing off some of the constraints and showing us what *they* might do, if they had the freedom that so many speculative map designers have.

After years of having the world examine and critique their work on the standard accepted tube map, this is a rare glimpse into the heads and “Draft v9.3” files of a creative team who - because of the need for constancy in a user-led world - don’t often get to show some of their out-there concepts. This is the work of an in-house production unit that’s quietly making ads you see on escalator screens, posters and more; films too; and they’re getting a chance to go a bit further here.

I can say -having spent many years of my life working in creative mktg/ad agency environments- your head gets blown by the cunning, wit and genius of creatives who love the brand or org they work on. Yet only 1/3 of creative concept pitch work gets seen by the consumer… At best. So much gets rejected; and there’s stuff we proposed for my clients back in the day which got rejected (in favour of something safer) which still thrills me. So this map might look to some (like the chap on TikTok who has so far made 30+ tediously disparaging piss-take videos laughing at how weird people are who dare to make content about their fascination of the Underground… yet has obsessively made 30+ videos on the same topic for cheap lols and likes. Srsly.) as if it’s just an ad; a quick way of making some money. But I think there’s more to it.

I think that sponsorship cash has inadvertently enabled another window to be opened up on the creativity that flows through TfL; on to ideas that rarely get seen. I think that’s something to celebrate & enjoy: in fact I’d like to see them given *more* opportunities to showcase other experimental ideas which might just surprise us all.

*(Some may say that it’s me selling out by not criticising TfL, so full disclosure: I’ve not been paid by TfL, but I work with some staff in some of my roles, I count some staff as friends, and generally I only tweet about things that I like, rather than dislike.)

**(I only name him because he’s credited on the physical map; he tends to avoid limelight. Sorry Jon!)

Last edited:

Thirteen

I wonder how much money TfL are getting from this advertising campaign.
Probably a decent wad. The TfL brand partnership page gives a rough idea.

Circle to Search Line is quite good as a brand partnership, I wonder if Samsung Sisters or Galaxy S24 Park was ruled out.

H&I

Probably a decent wad. The TfL brand partnership page gives a rough idea.

Circle to Search Line is quite good as a brand partnership, I wonder if Samsung Sisters or Galaxy S24 Park was ruled out.
Perhaps lessons were learnt from the Burberry Street fiasco after all!

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I noticed this when I passed through Kings Cross St Pancras earlier. Took a couple of photos to post on here but I've been beaten to it!

Thirteen

I disagree with him, TfL does have a choice. A disagreeable one perhaps, but a choice nevertheless. They can always say 'no.'
If you are offered a ton of money to promote a brand and in need of the dosh, why say no? Also, even in good times, extra cash is not something one would turn down.

stuu

Established Member
Fine with this. Nothing like the scope for confusion that they managed to create with the Burberry nonsense. TfL clearly need the money

Busaholic

Veteran Member
If you are offered a ton of money to promote a brand and in need of the dosh, why say no? Also, even in good times, extra cash is not something one would turn down.
So are you saying anyone or any body (in any sense) is available to be bought, in effect? Perhaps you are, but I can only imagine Lord Ashfield, who'd been a high Conservative politician before the Chairman of the London Passenger Transport Board, would be spinning in his grave. TfL has no right to be promoting any brand ever imo.

Thirteen

So are you saying anyone or any body (in any sense) is available to be bought, in effect? Perhaps you are, but I can only imagine Lord Ashfield, who'd been a high Conservative politician before the Chairman of the London Passenger Transport Board, would be spinning in his grave. TfL has no right to be promoting any brand ever imo.
So TfL shouldn't have any adverts whatsoever then? It would quickly go bankrupt if that was the case.

bluegoblin7

Established Member
That would be the same Lord Ashfield who oversaw the renaming of Gillespie Road station…?

stuu

Established Member
A bit late for that:
1706861462205.png
(Image shows C Stock train in Yellow Pages branding in 1998)

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Diamond Geezer is not amused.

It is, obviously, a sponsored tube map because TfL wouldn't bother with a major redesign unless a multinational was paying. The sponsor is a phone company I won't be mentioning (indeed I've photoshopped all their branding out of today's photos just to annoy their marketing department). They've just released a new model with a new feature involving circles, hence this artificial map and a somewhat contrived advertising campaign alongside.

Towers

Established Member
What on earth is “Circle to search line” supposed to mean?!

In terms of the picture on the opening post, assuming it’s just a plan sign with no brand logo tucked away at the other end then I completely disagree with it, it’s hardly obvious what it means and could be totally misleading to a range of travellers. It’s interesting that TOCs can now be financially penalised for failure to provide correct audio and visual information to passengers, and rightly so, and yet TfL can get away with taking payments in return for erecting deliberately misleading fake signage on one of the busiest public transport systems in the world!

stuu

Established Member
The latest Samsung phone has a feature on it called "Circle to Search" (me neither) and the Underground has a Circle line...makes perfect sense, right? (wrong)
You drag your finger around the area on the screen and the phone will search for whatever is in the circle

Towers

Established Member
The latest Samsung phone has a feature on it called "Circle to Search" (me neither) and the Underground has a Circle line...makes perfect sense, right? (wrong)
Righto! Well, as advertising goes, that’s cr*p!

Adam Williams

Established Member
How does the "Circle to Search" nonsense differ from the existing, integrated Google Lens functionality that you can access from the Recent Activities view of your open apps?

Edit: Very little, seemingly!

Last edited:

thomalex

A bit late for that:
View attachment 151561
(Image shows C Stock train in Yellow Pages branding in 1998)

I actually wouldn’t mind something like this if done well. Can create a bit of interest and brighten up some of the tired looking exteriors of some stock.

And importantly it doesn’t mess around with station signage and wayfinding.

H&I

I actually wouldn’t mind something like this if done well. Can create a bit of interest and brighten up some of the tired looking exteriors of some stock.

And importantly it doesn’t mess around with station signage and wayfinding.
I’ve often wondered why Tube trains don’t have vinyl advertising wraps to generate a bit more advertising revenue, like metro systems elsewhere.

Thirteen

I saw the Circle to Search Line at Westminster and it's quite clearly an ad so it's not going to cause any confusion.

thomalex

Because they’re mostly covered in acid etch graffiti so the vinyls can’t be applied and Any vinyl application would not last long because of this

What? There’s a couple of trains I’ve seen with this (mostly S stock for some reason) but that’s it.

It’s far more than it should be but I’m not seeing why a vinyl couldn’t be applied.

Towers

Established Member
I saw the Circle to Search Line at Westminster and it's quite clearly an ad so it's not going to cause any confusion.
Can you elaborate as to why it’s clear; is there an obvious visual indication on the “signage” itself?

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Is that like how Burberry Street was "clearly" not an ad?

Can you elaborate as to why it’s clear; is there an obvious visual indication on the “signage” itself?
From what I have read, this one doesn't change the station name and the Circle Line direction signage is still recognisable and pointing in the correct direction. Diamond Geezer raised some objections about possible confusion when the circular map replaces the normal one, but I don't think this is in the same league as essentially obliterating the identity of Bond Street.