• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Clapham Junction

Status
Not open for further replies.

96tommy

I am thinking of going to Clapham Junction on a Saturday for a couple of hours soon. Could anybody tell me how many trains come through and what classes they are, and also where is the best place to stand???

Thank You

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bastiaan

How many trains? Is that an issue? You're talking about the busiest station in Europe here! :-P
Classes: 377, 378, 442, 444, 450, 455, 456, 458, 460...

Last edited:

Mr Spock

Not forgetting the 158/159's and if lucky an occaisonal freight or special.

Benbo

DBS 66's, 59,s pass through, along with GBRF & Freightliner 66's, you might even be lucky enough to find the odd WCRC loco stabled (it has been know to happen in the past). Enjoy the photting!

thefab444

Established Member
Very little freight on a Saturday, but there is the possibility of engineers workings depending on the particular day.

NSE

Established Member
For the past three months a Maroon class 37 has been sitting in the at the end of the line between platforms 2&3 right infront of the point where both that line and platform 2 lose the third rail and become overgrown and unusable.
If you like loco's then it'll be a great shot as its generally unblocked from platform 2 and is sitting parralel to the end of the stairs down to the platform.

Mind you, I've told you this, so no doubt it's now gone! It was there on the 3rd Sept though :)

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Just had a count up - in the hour 1530 -1630 there are 124 arrivals and departures. Probably another dozen or so through trains, plus various ECS to/from Waterloo and freight?

So at least 2 trains every minute off peak...

TGV

I've known passing through clapham junction and there were literally too many trains to count. On both sides were trains going towards London alongside our train, and Southern AND SWT units going the other way. There must have been 12-16 movements in the time it took our train to slow, stop and start again. Easily. This was a morning peak at about 8am.

EDIT: in fact, if anyone thinks it's busy out of Euston, Kings Cross or Liverpool st... or anywhere in the UK for that matter - there is nothing like Clapham Junction for a ridiculous number of train movements. However, I may be missing the point, but it's not the most interesting of places... nor the prettiest. Even the trains all pretty much look the same, but if you are of a spotting nature, I imagine you'll need a big pad and a few spare pens.

96tommy

Iwas thinking before how many numbers I would actually get with all the movements!!!:D

jopsuk

Veteran Member
I don't think there's anywhere within the station that you'd be able to see the numbers of every train that passes through or stops- frequently, they'll be hidden behind another train (or three). Apart from anything, there's two halves to the station- the north half has SWT trains through Wandsworth Town plus London Overground, the South half SWT via Wimbledon and Southern services through Balham. Plus there's the SWT carriage sidings, in the middle of the "wedge"

Juniper Driver

Established Member
...and if you are lucky you may see the odd steam engine or class 73.I saw a treble header last week with 73109 in the formation heading to Victoria or Stewarts Lane?

Status
Not open for further replies.