• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 139 - does it get turned around?

Status
Not open for further replies.

birchesgreen

Established Member
I had a little trip on the Stourbridge branch today, one thing struck me is that the same door is used on the 139 at both Stourbridge stations. The other door isn't used at all. Are the units turned in any way to reduce wear and tear on the one unfortunate door?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

david737

If they needed to turn them it would involve the use of a crane and or low loader as the 139's are not allowed on any other part of the NR infrastructure apart from the Stourbridge branch as far as I know.

Energy

Established Member
Probably not, the other door will have been installed in case it is needed in the future and will probably be in the design so it can be used on other lines

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Probably not, the other door will have been installed in case it is needed in the future and will probably be in the design so it can be used on other lines

Presumably also for emergency exit in the event the vehicle tips over.

DB

But i suppose if they go off site for maintenance they could be turned around that way.

Not sure that they do - they have their own maintenance shed on site and the parts for them are lightweight.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Not sure that they do - they have their own maintenance shed on site and the parts for them are lightweight.

Surprised they didn't put both doors on the same side, then a bus style emergency exit on the other. Would make more sense! Plenty of unidirectional trams have doors only on one side.

bluegoblin7

Established Member
If a need to turn a unit arises it is with a crane, making use of the Chiltern yard. This must be done within a possession.

One unit has been turned, with the result that presently high units are opposite ways round.

birchesgreen

Established Member
Looking at the track layout of the branch the only curve of note is just after leaving SBJ, i wonder if this causes any uneven wheel wear issues?

DB

Looking at the track layout of the branch the only curve of note is just after leaving SBJ, i wonder if this causes any uneven wheel wear issues?

I think the wheels can be changed individually - sure I've seen a picture of a new wheel being delivered using a sack truck!

davart

Wear is wear. For example, rotating car tyres just means that you replace 4 at the same time vs 2.

The cost of turning a vehicle using a crane may out weight the cost of component wear.

Components are replaced when they are worn to the point when they are no longer safe.

I suppose 'rotating' would prevent deterioration due to lack of use, but would likely not be cost effective.

If it was necessary the unused door off the other side of each unit could be fitted to replace the worn out one that is used, should it ever wear out (presumably) and would guess that to be a cheaper process than bringing a crane on site to turn the thing around. The defective or worn one could probably then go on the unused side and just be kept serviceable as an emergency exit.

I doubt there's ever much thought goes into it though, especially for such a micro operation. I'd still expect they would just get new parts for the frequently used door/s as part of routine repairs and maintenance.

Status
Not open for further replies.