• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 140 DMU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben.A.98

As a volunteer working on the Class 140 at the Keith and Dufftown Railway I thought it might be good to let people know what state the unit is in. There are many websites telling you of what state the 140 is in, but they are out dated, what I shall post here is up to date info.

At the moment the 140 is not in the best of states but WORK IS BEING DONE!!! At the moment car 55501 is in a fairly good state, it has an operating engine, most of its original seating and the cab isnt to bad either.

However car 55500 is not in such a good state. The engine currently does not work, but work was done late December- Early January. We were able to turn the engine but only for a few minutes, further work will be done to the engine once the Railway's main Class 108 DMU's have been serviced. Internally the unit has had most of the seating removed for the use of stroage, (the seats which have been removed are stacked so they can be re-fitted). The cab is not as good as the other one, but work will be carried out very soon on them.

More info can be found on the Keith and Dufftown Railway's website.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I was researching this unit, just out of curiosity, and stumbled across the Keith & Dufftown website - the pictures show it looking slightly forlorn, but in one you can see the interior lighting on and it has a list of things that are full functioning. Sounds like progress is being made, thanks for the update. An important unit - regardless of your opinion on Pacers!

Ben.A.98

Nice to know people care about the unit. Hopefully the list of things on the website can be increased tomorrow when I go and do some more work on it. I would hope to be able to try to move it tomorrow under its own power, but I fear that doing that will still take some time.

Its good to read it is been worked on.

Good luck, look foward to seeing it run one day. I once visited not long after it had arrived at the railway.

Ben.A.98

More work has been done on the unit. We have fixed some of the overide switches and had another look at the door interlock problem. During some work on Saturday, by some chance the brakes partcially came off. We have had no idea why it just suddenly happened, but then it unfortunalty stopped.

I once again have plans to try to make the unit move by itself tomorrow, but that may still probably be unlikely. I will also get on with applying some red oxide to the slightly rusty areas of the body work if the weather is good.

Please also find a link at the bottom to a youtube video of us attempting to start the other engine on the unit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F751JUtyN6c

Ben.A.98

More success with the 140.

Last week we were able to get a full brake release, the brakes also actually lifted off. We were also able to get the doors working again, we can now press the required button and the doors open and close.

We are now also very close to being able to move the unit, we have nearly managed to engage the transmission box. There are a few little parts to replace and then we should get the unit engaged.

I have also been able to get some red oxide onto the unit to help prevent it rusting away. Photos will possibly follow soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.