• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 156 v 170 CO2 emissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

clagmonster

Established Member
Would anyone happen to know the comparative carbon dioxide emissions between a 156 and a 2 car 170 perhaps on a per mile basis?

Similarly, I recall a 170, I think 170530 was involved in an emissions reduction trial, although I forget all details. Can anyone remember anything on this please? Articles about this would be most appreciated.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Trainbike46

Established Member
Would anyone happen to know the comparative carbon dioxide emissions between a 156 and a 2 car 170 perhaps on a per mile basis?

Similarly, I recall a 170, I think 170530 was involved in an emissions reduction trial, although I forget all details. Can anyone remember anything on this please? Articles about this would be most appreciated.
I guess diesel consumption per mile would be a good proxy, if anyone has that information and is able to share?

Geeves

Established Member
There was a thread a couple of years ago where Rhydgaled on here did some workings.

Class 195: 9.46 miles per gallon per vehicle
Class 170: 13.23 miles per gallon per vehicle
Class 158: 7.04 miles per gallon per vehicle
Class 156: 6.18 miles per gallon per vehicle

Seems quite reasonable! I had heard 158s at least were a fair bit lower than above I guess there are loads and loads of external factors. Less than a mile per gallon on departure but that's to be expected

Last edited:

Trainbike46

Established Member
Thank you for those!

I'm surprised the class 195s seem to have worse efficiency than the 170s!

Then again, external factors, such as how hilly the route is, would definitely have an impact

Richard Scott

Established Member
There was a thread a couple of years ago where Rhydgaled on here did some workings.

Class 195: 9.46 miles per gallon per vehicle
Class 170: 13.23 miles per gallon per vehicle
Class 158: 7.04 miles per gallon per vehicle
Class 156: 6.18 miles per gallon per vehicle

Seems quite reasonable! I had heard 158s at least were a fair bit lower than above I guess there are loads and loads of external factors. Less than a mile per gallon on departure but that's to be expected
Are those official figures as I'm sceptical. I seriously doubt the 170 figure is anywhere near correct especially with their hydraulic transmission that doesn't go into direct drive until somewhere near 50mph. Also 158 with extra air conditioning load and higher power with an engine that is essentially the same as a 156 using less fuel? Something doesn't stack up here.

The exile

Established Member
Are those official figures as I'm sceptical. I seriously doubt the 170 figure is anywhere near correct especially with their hydraulic transmission that doesn't go into direct drive until somewhere near 50mph. Also 158 with extra air conditioning load and higher power with an engine that is essentially the same as a 156 using less fuel? Something doesn't stack up here.
Possibly the fact that if these were “in service” figures, the 158s were more likely to be on services with fewer stops therefore less acceleration from a stand.

Richard Scott

Established Member
Possibly the fact that if these were “in service” figures, the 158s were more likely to be on services with fewer stops therefore less acceleration from a stand.
Ok, so is that an average as some fleets will be on different services to others? Can't imagine TfW 170s getting anywhere near that or those used on services around Birmingham, for example, with lots of stops.
So in essence what's quoted is an unfair comparison as the conditions are different for each class?

Bevan Price

Established Member
156s are limited to 75mph; 158s are allowed to do 90mph, which will use more fuel.

Status
Not open for further replies.