• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 303s/311s - Memories, favourite liveries etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulC1309

I travelled on 303s daily between 1991 and 95 to and from Muirend on the Neilston line when I was at uni. By then they were refurbished but I'm just old enough to remember them pre refurbishment with the view forward and being really annoyed if a driver put his blind down. Strathclyde orange and black my favourite livery as it's what I grew up with. Good memories! Used to sometimes go to Giffnock instead to get a run on the then brand new 156s. Moved to Shawlands in 97 and regularly rode on them until they were replaced by 314s. By then the poor old 303s were getting a bit tired and scruffy with the poor ride becoming appalling particularly compared to 314s.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DGH 1

I saw and photographed quite a few 303's in their orange livery, but I only travelled on one once #16 from Rutherglen to Glasgow central on the day of the Polmadie open day in 2000 and forgot to take a photo. I've kicked myself ever since.

6Gman

Established Member
My strongest memory of a 311 is seeing one steam-hauled, which might be ... unusual.

I was by the Independent Lines at Crewe when a 9F (pretty sure it was 92001) appeared heading north and hauling a 311, presumably on a delivery run.

The 311s were described as the work of Cravens of Sheffield, but I've seen suggestions that they ceased building railway stock in 1966. So were the 311s built at Washwood Heath by Met-Camm?

Last edited:

delt1c

Established Member
I have many memories of traveling on 303's and 311's many 6 car formations. However just realised I never saw a 303+ 311 formation.

b0b

Established Member
I remember the unfurnished 303's, loved being able to see out of the front ---- I think the driver could block it but rarely did. Also, the ride got quite lively on the WCML stretch from Rutherglen to Cambuslang.

route101

Established Member
Did they operate down to Ayr, Largs etc?

Only remember going on one or two when i was young.

AM9

Veteran Member
Having grown up with the LNER designed class 306 (in their AM6 days as well) I was aware of the AM3s. I would have liked to travel on them as they were billed as the latest in rail technology. They were certainly attractive in appearance with cab windows similar to the Trans-Pennine class 124 DMUs, but alas they suffered similar introduction problems to those of the classes 304 & 305, with flashovers and catstrophic transformer burn-outs.
Like their compartment EMU contemporaries, they were quite basic DC motored OLE-powered units, but with an appealing 'face'.

Beebman

One evening peak hour on my 1987 trip I did find myself on a 6-car 303 set at Glasgow Central which was shown as going to Ayr but just before departure it got subbed with the passengers (with plenty of weary moaning such as "I bet it's frozen points even in summer") being sent to a 318 formation on a different platform. Ever since then I've wondered if a 303 or 311 did ever make it to the Ayrshire coast?

Strathclyder

Established Member
One evening peak hour on my 1987 trip I did find myself on a 6-car 303 set at Glasgow Central which was shown as going to Ayr but just before departure it got subbed with the passengers (with plenty of weary moaning such as "I bet it's frozen points even in summer") being sent to a 318 formation on a different platform. Ever since then I've wondered if a 303 or 311 did ever make it to the Ayrshire coast?
On occasion, they did indeed. Eastbank has two pics of a pair of them at Ayr on a special/extra service related to a event at the Turnberry golf course in July 1994. Passengers changed onto 156s for the last leg of the trip to Girvan. Not sure how frequently they made it to Largs, if they ever did.

DGH 1

I remember the unfurnished 303's, loved being able to see out of the front ---- I think the driver could block it but rarely did. Also, the ride got quite lively on the WCML stretch from Rutherglen to Cambuslang.
Did you have to sit on the floor? ;)

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Picture proof of a 311 in SPTE Orange/Black with that pic of 311098! Given the timeframe between that livery's introduction and the last 311s being withdrawn (pushed out by the 320/3s in 1990, if my gray matter isn't failing me?), pictures of them in it are really rather scarce, at least when compared to 303s. Oh, and one of the pair of units used on the farewell run (303088) appearing there too. ;)
I didn't even twig that when I posted the picture; I simply selected images showing as wide a variety as possible for the ten picture limit within a post! There are an awful lot more 303 / 311 images in my archive, not all of which I have scanned yet as I'm working through in chronological order.

I'm afraid the link doesn't work? I'm getting this:

1608769253702.png

Strathclyder

Established Member
I'm afraid the link doesn't work? I'm getting this:

View attachment 87571
Huh, weird. Was working fine last night (ruddy technology). Does this link work? I'll go back and amend the original link posthaste.

I didn't even twig that when I posted the picture; I simply selected images showing as wide a variety as possible for the ten picture limit within a post! There are an awful lot more 303 / 311 images in my archive, not all of which I have scanned yet as I'm working through in chronological order.
At any rate, they are gems and two steps short of gold dust to this Glaswegian spotter. Hope you're able to post more at some stage! :)

Last edited:

hexagon789

Veteran Member
And here is 035 in all her glory. Also was kitted out with silicon rectifiers & was later fitted with thrystor controls in 1967. Beileve it was the first 303 to be withdrawn (accident damage victims aside) due to it's non-standard nature. The motor coach was scrapped while the two driving trailers found their way into other units in later years.
I'd forgotten about the fitting of thyristor control, wonder how close that was to the 314 system.

Southof1E

Back on Saturday August 14th 1982 i was festering at Nuneaton for the 1608 Llandundo - Euston back to Rugby.
Then unexpectedly 303050 rumbled in on the 1815 Tamworth - Rugby and i was soon aboard this classic unrefurbished beast of a unit this far South.
At Rugby the Llandudno - Euston roared in with 83005, not required, but a biggie, no regrets my only 303 on the Trent Valley more than made up for it!!

NR
www.leightonlogs.org

Logan Carroll

Brilliant Thread and Very Christmasy.

I’m to young to remember the 303s but from looking at pictures i’d say Strathclyde Orange suits these units best, especially with the front end.

I’ve never seen a picture of the 311 interior before this either, does @deltic14 have any other pictures of scottish train interiors from that time?

Ayrshire Roy

I don't know about Largs but anytime the open golf was on at Troon you would get a good mix of whatever could be spared running down.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Huh, weird. Was working fine last night (ruddy technology). Does this link work? I'll go back and amend the original link posthaste.

At any rate, they are gems and two steps short of gold dust to this Glaswegian spotter. Hope you're able to post more at some stage! :)

The revised link works, thank you.

More pictures? Certainly... and the first few here are older ones; the rest are from the same trip as the other batch.

Attachments

• Peter Archive 3477.jpg
    Peter Archive 3477.jpg
    836.5 KB · Views: 16
  • Peter Archive 3481.jpg
    Peter Archive 3481.jpg
    990.2 KB · Views: 16
  • Peter Archive 3482.jpg
    Peter Archive 3482.jpg
    946.4 KB · Views: 14
  • Peter Archive 3483.jpg
    Peter Archive 3483.jpg
    909.5 KB · Views: 14
  • Peter Archive 4555.jpg
    Peter Archive 4555.jpg
    802 KB · Views: 16
  • Peter Archive 4556.jpg
    Peter Archive 4556.jpg
    815.9 KB · Views: 18
  • Peter Archive 4557.jpg
    Peter Archive 4557.jpg
    869.9 KB · Views: 20
  • Peter Archive 5643.jpg
    Peter Archive 5643.jpg
    847.8 KB · Views: 18
  • Peter Archive 5645.jpg
    Peter Archive 5645.jpg
    962.2 KB · Views: 15
  • Peter Archive 5646.jpg
    Peter Archive 5646.jpg
    838.9 KB · Views: 16

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I'm pretty sure towards the end the 303s had a booked service in the peak times to Ardrossan Town and back.
Definitely did, and as a 6 car set no less. Something like 1718 ex Glasgow.

"Gordon Thomson" has a photo of the return working of that service at Kilwinning on Flickr:

Looks like it was the 17.35 from Glasgow and 18.33 return.

I remember seeing blue & grey 311s as a 2-year-old back in the early 1990s, before the Class 320s arrive.

Also saw a Class 303 driving coach in blue & grey at Yoker, that was from unit 303063 and later got burnt down. I believe this was the only Class 303 in blue & grey with its ‘Strathclyde Transport’ logo and black window surrounds at the front like the 311s.

WL113

I remember some 303s turning up on the Stafford to Rugby locals in the early to mid 1980s. Until then the services had been worked by 304 and 310 units and the 303s were the first trains with power operated doors that we had seen in the Midlands. Photos of them on these workings seem very rare but they definitely happened.

Established Member
I don't remember them in anything other than Strathclyde orange, but I'm told that the very first time I travelled on one, and the very first time I visited Glasgow at the age of 1, was in a 303 that was still in all over BR blue. The only other memorable point of the trip apparently was that the window we were sat by was hit by a bottle somewhere in the Partick area. Nice.

The bottle does make me consider how vulnerable looking the original wraparound windscreens were, but equally how dynamic and forward looking the design was, but all the time giving a nod to Scottish railway heritage with the Caledonian blue. So, even though I never knew it myself, I've got to say the original blue of the blue trains has got to be the winner.

Why they couldn't even manage to restore a wraparound cab in that original blue for the Glasgow Transport, now Riverside, Museum is a mystery to me. I can only think that the people who run the museum have no real clue of what's important in the city's transport heritage of the past 60 years. Are we even going to get a 314, or a bit of one, there either do we know?

b0b

Established Member
Another memory is the 303's in Strathclyde Orange, then walking home with the orange street lighting (the 90s) on a misty evening, and everything seeming to be the same shade of orange.

Logan Carroll

Why they couldn't even manage to restore a wraparound cab in that original blue for the Glasgow Transport, now Riverside, Museum is a mystery to me. I can only think that the people who run the museum have no real clue of what's important in the city's transport heritage of the past 60 years. Are we even going to get a 314, or a bit of one, there either do we know?
There was a unrefurbished 303 that was repainted into original caledonian blue livery that ran on specials and was destined for the Transpott Museum at kelvinhall before being scrapped due to asbestos issues.

And considering the 314s are near indentical to the 313s (one of which is already going to NRM in York) and the fact no-one wants to maintain an obscure footnote in scottish railway history the only survivor is destined for hydrogen (which is much more interesting than rotting in a shed somewhere like the last 303)

Status
Not open for further replies.