• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 313 preservation schemes and updates

It has been offically annouced that Class 313 121 has entered preservation at the Fife Heritage Railway, based in Leven.

As stated below from member SERA01UK from the 313 thread.

Let’s hope today goes well and the unit is safely delivered. It will be the culmination of just over two years hard work for me which began with a Teams meeting and then writing a paper to justify why a 313 needed to be designated and then preserved. Following that there were numerous emails with positive results and then a disappointing outcome resulting in the designation being switched. It was a great day when 121 was formally designated but it all went wrong when the intended destination for the unit pulled out.

Thankfully I had an idea for an home and I made it my mission to get everyone who could make this a reality in contact with each other and come up with a plan.

I’ve been involved in seeing a lot of stuff saved over the last three decades but this was a real mission and there were times when it felt like it would all be in vain.

It’s going to be important to me to see it unloaded and in it’s new home. One day I’ll tell the story in more detail of this battle !!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ksp

Hello everyone. This is my first message here. I am a volunteer at Fife Heritage Railway and I noticed some chat about 313 121, all I can say at the moment is the EMU is indeed now part of our collection and restoration work is taking place to the unit. I don't have too much info about the project as I am not highly involved in it because of lack of times, but when I receive updates I am happy to share them with you. You can follow our facebook page and twitter feed on the progression of the unit. We also have an open day in December and next year where hopefully the unit will be ready for passengers to have a peek inside and ride other trains we own.
Our facebook: https://www.facebook.com/fifeheritagerailway
Our Twitter: https://twitter.com/RailwayFife
Our Website: https://www.fifeheritagerailway.co.uk/
Thank you once again for taking interest and I hope to hear from you and answer any questions I can. Thank you.
(Sneek Peek)
F9toqP-XEAAmhot

The_Train

Established Member
Hello everyone. This is my first message here. I am a volunteer at Fife Heritage Railway and I noticed some chat about 313 121, all I can say at the moment is the EMU is indeed now part of our collection and restoration work is taking place to the unit. I don't have too much info about the project as I am not highly involved in it because of lack of times, but when I receive updates I am happy to share them with you. You can follow our facebook page and twitter feed on the progression of the unit. We also have an open day in December and next year where hopefully the unit will be ready for passengers to have a peek inside and ride other trains we own.
Our facebook: https://www.facebook.com/fifeheritagerailway
Our Twitter: https://twitter.com/RailwayFife
Our Website: https://www.fifeheritagerailway.co.uk/
Thank you once again for taking interest and I hope to hear from you and answer any questions I can. Thank you.
(Sneek Peek)
F9toqP-XEAAmhot
What is the basic plan for the unit once restoration is complete?

Ksp

What is the basic plan for the unit once restoration is complete?
Hiya, so at the current moment once the restoration is complete, the unit will be turned into a museum and running train most likely to be pulled by diesel. Those are the latest plans but I cannot guarantee on the last part yet as time will only tell. I know that EMUs don't tend to have a good life in preservation because they can't run without electricity but we surely hope that we can still use the set in the future instead of keeping it idle forever like most railways do. I hope this helps, will keep updating on progress and plans.

prod_pep

Established Member
Thanks for the info and best of luck with the 313. Whether it runs again or not, it has been spared the cutter's torch and that's fantastic. The open day is definitely of interest too.

The interior brings back memories of Silverlink days and the North London Line's eye-watering overcrowding. The 313s were at their best on the quieter Euston to Watford service.

Ksp

Let’s hope today goes well and the unit is safely delivered. It will be the culmination of just over two years hard work for me which began with a Teams meeting and then writing a paper to justify why a 313 needed to be designated and then preserved. Following that there were numerous emails with positive results and then a disappointing outcome resulting in the designation being switched. It was a great day when 121 was formally designated but it all went wrong when the intended destination for the unit pulled out.

Thankfully I had an idea for an home and I made it my mission to get everyone who could make this a reality in contact with each other and come up with a plan.

I’ve been involved in seeing a lot of stuff saved over the last three decades but this was a real mission and there were times when it felt like it would all be in vain.

It’s going to be important to me to see it unloaded and in it’s new home. One day I’ll tell the story in more detail of this battle !!
Hello SERA! I am a volunteer from Fife Heritage Railway, Leven and I would like to say the unit got to our railway safe and sound and the restoration work is already taking place for it. I am glad that you went to such lengths into making it happen and we are all very grateful. The unit needs some work but were sure we will be able to provide a nice and safe home for it for a very long time. I can update you and everyone interested on the progression of the units restoration. Feel free to ask any questions as I am very happy to answer.

Thanks for the info and best of luck with the 313. Whether it runs again or not, it has been spared the cutter's torch and that's fantastic. The open day is definitely of interest too.

The interior brings back memories of Silverlink days and the North London Line's eye-watering overcrowding. The 313s were at their best on the quieter Euston to Watford service.
I never been on the 313 I'm afraid but our volunteers have made it their mission that the 313 shall be ready for an open day ready to welcome visitors.

Graham H

View from the Campbell Road bridge and 313201 was running up and down the Eastleigh site as far as the exit signal this afternoon. Unfortunately I had no camera but did anyone else see it ?

Andy317345

Last edited:

D365

Veteran Member
Hiya, so at the current moment once the restoration is complete, the unit will be turned into a museum and running train most likely to be pulled by diesel. Those are the latest plans but I cannot guarantee on the last part yet as time will only tell. I know that EMUs don't tend to have a good life in preservation because they can't run without electricity but we surely hope that we can still use the set in the future instead of keeping it idle forever like most railways do. I hope this helps, will keep updating on progress and plans.
Fantastic - it certainly seems like 121 has been transferred very seamlessly into preservation.

Do you know whether the ETCS equipment will be retained? I wouldn't be surprised if Alstom has demanded that the computers be removed, but I'm hoping that at least one of the cabs could be preserved as a sort of demonstrator/showpiece for "digital railways".

The_Train

Established Member
Thanks for the update. Great to hear that there are plans to keep the wheels turning and hopefully the plans come to fruition! Whilst any unit saved, whether to move or be static, is great, I'm a fan of seeing them move :)

Will look forward to further updates via here and Twitter - best of luck with the restoration!

Alanko

Somewhere between Waverley and Queen Street.
Sadly it appears that vandals have struck, with ballast from the adjacent railway line sent through twelve of the windows the 313.

The GoFundMe link for repair costs can be found here: https://www.gofundme.com/f/window-d...heet&utm_medium=copy_link&utm_source=customer

Luckily (in a sense) the vandals also targeted the new Levenmouth station and trespassed on NR metals, so BTP are involved with investigations.

JKF

Daft question - can they poach windows from another unit going for scrap? £12,000 seems a lot of money.

bramling

Veteran Member
Daft question - can they poach windows from another unit going for scrap? £12,000 seems a lot of money.

There aren’t any surviving class 313 units to poach from. The only extant units from the class are 313121 and 313201.

Whether it might be possible to acquire some from class 507 or 508 units is another matter of course.

prod_pep

Established Member
Those of us who contribute towards the running costs of 313201 were able to visit Eastleigh today for a spin in the unit. The unit is looking very commendably clean and running nicely too, albeit at low speed. There were plenty of photo opportunities and all who attended got the chance to drive it as well.

I can't thank Pete of the 400 Series Group enough for organising today's visit. There are also plans to fit some of the old low-back seats into it, as well as reinstating the pantograph, from what I hear.

50002Superb

Those of us who contribute towards the running costs of 313201 were able to visit Eastleigh today for a spin in the unit. The unit is looking very commendably clean and running nicely too, albeit at low speed. There were plenty of photo opportunities and all who attended got the chance to drive it as well.

I can't thank Pete of the 400 Series Group enough for organising today's visit. There are also plans to fit some of the old low-back seats into it, as well as reinstating the pantograph, from what I hear.
Is there somewhere to be able to donate?

I don’t recall reading any mention of this at all.

The_Train

Established Member

What a great way to incentivise people to donate. They should probably have minimum donation amounts to reach before you are able to take part in such events though - I mean, if I can donate a fiver, visit the site, drive the unit and then never donate again it would be a bit of urine extraction wouldn't it?