• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 317 withdrawals.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ladder23

Established Member
A small handful of units has gone to Ely Papworth for storage; I suspect (but I don't know for certain) that Wembley is where they're being held until there's sufficient space at Ely.
Gotcha! Thanks man

XCTurbostar

Established Member
Saw this on LinkedIn, looks like Angel Trains are looking to keep them for something?

Attachments

• 15B385EE-E685-4548-B6BF-DEC66AC28960.jpeg
    15B385EE-E685-4548-B6BF-DEC66AC28960.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 322

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Saw this on LinkedIn, looks like Angel Trains are looking to keep them for something?
Or they are trying this out on a spare unit with the intention of proving the concept and then using it on something else in the future that has a gap between being taken out of service and reuse.

D365

Veteran Member
Wonder what the shrink wrap material consists of...

XCTurbostar

Established Member
A quick search of tufcoat.co.uk finds;
"The film is manufactured with UV inhibitors and ethylene-vinyl acetate (EVA) to retain its elasticity and prevent the film becoming brittle when used for long-term storage."
"100% recyclable, Shrink-wrap can be recycled once removed, providing it is not contaminated."

D365

Veteran Member
A quick search of tufcoat.co.uk finds;
"The film is manufactured with UV inhibitors and ethylene-vinyl acetate (EVA) to retain its elasticity and prevent the film becoming brittle when used for long-term storage."
"100% recyclable, Shrink-wrap can be recycled once removed, providing it is not contaminated."

Thanks for the contribution, that's exactly what I was interested to learn.

CDM

Re: the wrapping of a 317, I'd say it's more likely that they're trying it out on some rolling stock that doesn't matter, to prove the concept, rather than because they actually want to preserve the condition of a class 317 for future use...

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
It’s in store with 3 others at Harwich PQ according to the latest Today’s Railway UK magazine

Ah.... in that case apologies, it must have been 317 666 that I saw?

Having said that - if it's visible at Harwich from anywhere public, that would make it extremely easy for @BlythPower to see it?

Established Member
Thank you! It's the last I need for sight so hopefully I can get down to London soon and get it seen. :D

The units are in Parkeston Yard, London side of Harwich International station. 12 cars on one road, 4 cars on another when I passed last week. Don’t know which unit is 656. They are a distance from the running lines, so if there’s something in the yard your view would be blocked.

BlythPower

Thanks folks - looks like I might not be completing the 317s after all... :'(

At least it saves me going on wild goose chases on the off chance of it turning up.

387star

On Moderation
The 317/8 had a strange refurb for Stansted express and were often in poor condition with pictures posted on Twitter to shame national express and greater Anglia not sure if flat cloth was used but carpets and seat coverings were done in a peculiar material

So 317/7 and /8 gone and most/5 and /6 too ?