• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 319 wheelslip

Status
Not open for further replies.

fyldetrainfan

Yesterday on a journey from Manchester to Liverpool during heavy rain, the train seemed to be slipping quite a lot on accelerating away from stations, it seemed to struggle to get up to speed. It certainly sounded and felt like there was wheelspin on acceleration. it also happened on the return journey. So i'm curious, does anybody know, are the Class 319s particularly prone to slipping, or is this a problem with this particular stretch of line? (It was on departure from St Helens Junction and I think possibly Newton-le-Willows too) or simply due to the bad weather conditions?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ComUtoR

Established Member
319's hate the rain. Awful, awful units to drive in the wet.

fyldetrainfan

Thanks for the quick replies. It was my first 319 journey and had never noticed anything like that on other train journeys in wet weather. it really was quite bad!

westcoaster

Established Member
The 319s are very prone to wheelslip

I never found them to bad in the 10+ years of driving them, if you give it full power it's going to spin. I never used the sander to accelerate only for braking. My rule of thumb is
50% power to 30 mph
75% power to 50mph
Then full power after that.

Another thing is diesel/oil contamination mixed with rain will make it really slippy.

Last edited:

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
The 319s are very prone to wheelslip

The have four powered axles to move four coaches, so yes, they are prone to slipping, just like other four car Mk3 based electric units. The route is also known to be quite slippy. This combination is not the greatest out there.

Do that have any sort of wheelslip protection installed? If they don't was the feasibility of installing one ever looked into?

Yes they do, and also wheel slide protection, and sanders.

D365

Veteran Member
Do that have any sort of wheelslip protection installed? If they don't was the feasibility of installing one ever looked into?

However with only four powered axles and a far more primitive WSP system it's never going to be as effective as a modern unit.

ComUtoR

Established Member
I never found them to bad in the 10+ years of driving them

I've always found them to drive awful in the wet. They drop speed considerably and the slightest hint of rain and I'm losing time. Better on AC than DC in the wet.

I'd agree that wet driving is very much down to skill and slip/slide wise you can control a 319 better; due to the friction brake.

Generally I'm probably a little like you in the respect with power selection. Pull away in 2 and hold it and assess grip/acceleration. If she pulls nicely then up to 3. Typically I'd agree this is around 30mph but I'm more of feel the unit rather than specific notches. Hold 3 till your comfortable and it passes that sweet spot. Drop a RBT and then pull 4 if shes holding.

Brake wise I only worry our side of the water but that is down to track conditions rather than the actual unit.

Smartsanders irk me though :/ I much prefer old school sanders.

fowler9

Established Member
On the slows in to Lime Street from Parkway on the Parkway to Preston runs they are lots of fun to ride on especially in the Autumn. There is nothing else like them. Ha ha. The fact that naff all else uses the slows in to Lime Street past West Allerton and Mossley Hill helps (Or doesn't).

zn1

like everything it will take time for the crews to learn the quirks of a new squadron of units either new build or cascaded in, the 319 isnt a bad unit, and they are all individuals - 001-186 - every one of has its own personality and little quirk

slick

As a driver of 317s which have the same motor on one coach layout, in anything other perfect conditions it will slip under full power. Pulling away notch 3 (75%) seems to work much better, unfortunately alot of drivers just whack it open and try to dump sand (which doesnt work nearly as well, and is horrible for the passengers on the PMOS coach. All you can guarantee is 2-3 mins extra at the destination!

In winter/leafall your always guaranteed a bad day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
St Helens Jn is on a bit of a hill although the hill flattens and reverses profile slightly for the station. Doesnt take much rain to make the trains slip there.The lime Street approach tunnels can also get quite damp and its common for me to leave lime street with a 319 also leaving alongside my train slipping and spinning as it struggles to get up the bank. The 350s seem to manage quite well in comparison, their unique wibbling sound echoing through the tunnels

Funnily enough tho different tractikn seem to have their weak areas in different places where otherwise other units dont. 185s are notoriously light footed, suprising given their weight but a lot of power feeds through just one axle, and slipping to a stand in poor leaf fall areas such as Slaithwaite or Garforth is quite common yet a 158 seems to skip past these spots nae botha! 225s have their problems and Durham is their weakspot. Its rare to not hear a 91 putting sand down as it struggles to push its load london bound, yet voyagers and 185s rarely have any issues there

Status
Not open for further replies.