• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

class 320 refurb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skimble19

Established Member
You're all completely wrong, I saw it this morning working a test run for East Coast's new Flying Scotsman service..!!!! <D<D

Seriously, can this guy be barred from this thread or completely mods? He's clearly either a compulsive liar or as said, a troll.. although I never imagined a troll coming onto a rail forum to bang on about the livery of a flaming 320. :lol:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

me123

Established Member
To be fair, he's not posted for quite some time now! You're the ones keeping his legacy alive at the moment; there's nothing to stop you discussing the 320 refurb if you so please! To be honest, though, I'm a bit exasperated with the whole situation!

driver9000

Established Member
They don't have TMS or anything of the sort. The closest thing I can think of would be WSP racks/OTMR/PIS systems or even the new toilet controls.

I didn't think they did. I knew they weren't built with one but didn't want to assume they had been retro fitted with one and end up looking silly :lol:

Blindtraveler

Established Member
To be fair, he's not posted for quite some time now! You're the ones keeping his legacy alive at the moment; there's nothing to stop you discussing the 320 refurb if you so please! To be honest, though, I'm a bit exasperated with the whole situation!

agreed. The whole thing to me seams to be taking a heck of a time, even for the first unit, making me wonder if there will be enough 334s for enhanced A to B, seeing as Argyle line replacements are maybe a little behind?

Sure there are good reasons for this and we dont want a modified unit entering service to early and a little unreliablie but on the other hand, the fairly positive press coverage of A To B may become less so if, again, not enough stock is available to run it?

cj_1985

agreed. The whole thing to me seams to be taking a heck of a time, even for the first unit, making me wonder if there will be enough 334s for enhanced A to B, seeing as Argyle line replacements are maybe a little behind?

Sure there are good reasons for this and we dont want a modified unit entering service to early and a little unreliablie but on the other hand, the fairly positive press coverage of A To B may become less so if, again, not enough stock is available to run it?

on the subject of the class 320 refurb... is it fair to assume that with a toilet being fitted, that retention tank/s will also be getting fitted...

forgive the stupid question... however i cant remember reading anything anywhere about retention tanks.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I believe they will have to put in a retention tank as the 320s didn't have toilets from new. So you can't grandfather in the disabled toilet and will have to treat it as an entirely new feature which means conforming to modern standards.

rail-britain

Established Member
THIS sunday...
Apologies, thought the date as Monday 16 May (something else I am working on that commenced yesterday)
New timetable commences 22 May and the email from ScotRail confirms the new service timetable frequency commences on Monday 23 May (Sunday remains virtually unchanged)

rail-britain

Established Member
Does next week also see 380s to north berwick and dunbar?
Not at the moment, not enough staff trained
The introduction is about 6 weeks behind schedule, taking the changeover to about the first week of August
It was hoped to introduce the units with double crews, thus training could be done on actual running services, but someone decided against this
This then became not so critical after an extension to the existing lease was extended for 6 months (although the Class 322 units are likely to be removed from service earlier than that so that they can cleaned up prior to return to RoSCo)

CarterUSM

Established Member
Central and Edinburgh guards commenced 380 training earlier this week, Motherwell and Edinburgh drivers still ongoing.

alexf380

Established Member
Quoted from Scotrail.co.uk gen forum:
"A GBRf Driver is rostered to bring 320314 from Doncaster to Shields on Monday.
Don't have any times as yet."

me123

Established Member
Not at the moment, not enough staff trained
The introduction is about 6 weeks behind schedule, taking the changeover to about the first week of August
It was hoped to introduce the units with double crews, thus training could be done on actual running services, but someone decided against this
This then became not so critical after an extension to the existing lease was extended for 6 months (although the Class 322 units are likely to be removed from service earlier than that so that they can cleaned up prior to return to RoSCo)

So, WRT North Berwick runs, shall the 322s remain in service until the 380s can take over, or will we be sending the Down South sooner and therefore have contingency plans on the North Berwick and Dunbar services?

rail-britain

Established Member
So, WRT North Berwick runs, shall the 322s remain in service until the 380s can take over, or will we be sending the Down South sooner and therefore have contingency plans on the North Berwick and Dunbar services?
The lease on the Class 322 units has been extended for 6 months
However, they are not expected to be in service for all of this contingency, allowing the units to be passed through works for internal regrading (and no doubt vinyls for the next TOC)
Class 322 and DMUs will continue to operate on the North Berwick and Dunbar (ScotRail) services

Class 380 units are expected to commence from the end of June
Ironically, when the introduction project was originally due to cease, good timing or what!

Last edited:

me123

Established Member
Well, that's good news for Scotland, although not quite so good for Leeds who've been waiting for their new(ish) trains! Still, as delays go, the whole thing hasn't been too bad; certainly nowhere near as bad as the 334 introduction.

rail-britain

Established Member
Well, that's good news for Scotland, although not quite so good for Leeds who've been waiting for their new(ish) trains!
I was under the impression Nothern Rail were not due to receive these until August, delayed from March, for training purposes and then introduction in December (May)
Nothern Rail

Other units were intended, but swapped for the Class 322 units in preference (by the DfT)

certainly nowhere near as bad as the 334 introduction.
Not just the Clas 334 units that were delayed, it was a national issue over accepting EMUs, but that's another story

YorkshireBear

Established Member
I was under the impression Nothern Rail were not due to receive these until August, delayed from March, for training purposes and then introduction in December (May)
Nothern Rail

Other units were intended, but swapped for the Class 322 units in preference (by the DfT)

Do you know what the other intended units were?

CarterUSM

Established Member
Are all the necessary staff trained on 380s?

Not quite, Edinburgh drivers and guards well ahead at the moment, Motherwell drivers too. Central guards about half done, though those who are booked the various turns next week have been stepped up training wise

rail-britain

Established Member
We've been told to expect to be working 380's as of Monday on NBW runs, but I won't hold my breath.
Told by who or what?
There will be vastly more Class 380 units operating, but it is highly unlikely any will be operating between Edinburgh and North Berwick / Dunbar until the end of June

However, the Glasgow - North Berwick may be one of the first, which will include a lot of staff travelling on it (probably a ratio of 10:1 to passengers) and it is possible this could commence from Monday
This would also mean four units covering two diagrams, the Class 322 remaining in Edinburgh after completing part of the diagram, being replaced by the Class 380 (westbound) and vice versa (eastbound), until the majority of training is completed

Returning to the Class 320, the latest update I have is that their operation on the Argyle line could be delayed until May next year
It had been hoped to have 12 units fitted with toilets and to then use these exclusively on the route, therefore Class 318 and Class 334 units will remain until this minimum number is achieved

The_Stig

Told by who or what?

I suspect his gaffer. Most likely a human.............

Returning to the Class 320, the latest update I have is that their operation on the Argyle line could be delayed until May next year
It had been hoped to have 12 units fitted with toilets and to then use these exclusively on the route, therefore Class 318 and Class 334 units will remain until this minimum number is achieved

Told by who or what?

rail-britain

Established Member
The speel on the ScotRail website advises that Class 380 units commence on all routes

My source is the intranet of Transport Scotland, one Senior Manager, and the Press Officer (that word doesn't look right as she is an Officer)

Damien1986

Told by who or what?
There will be vastly more Class 380 units operating, but it is highly unlikely any will be operating between Edinburgh and North Berwick / Dunbar until the end of June

However, the Glasgow - North Berwick may be one of the first, which will include a lot of staff travelling on it (probably a ratio of 10:1 to passengers) and it is possible this could commence from Monday
This would also mean four units covering two diagrams, the Class 322 remaining in Edinburgh after completing part of the diagram, being replaced by the Class 380 (westbound) and vice versa (eastbound), until the majority of training is completed

So it means we won't even see them in the December timetable change as someone else said but wouldn't you agree it's the wise thing to consider given that the training will take quite a bit of time?

rail-britain

Established Member
So it means we won't even see them in the December timetable change as someone else said but wouldn't you agree it's the wise thing to consider given that the training will take quite a bit of time?
Given it is going to take about two months to convert each Class 320 units, unless two are converted at a time, then it is highly unlikely the minimum number would be available from December
This may be possible once the work on the Class 334 units is completed (currently being undertaken at Shields), all the Class 380 units are in operation, and the Class 334 units are operating on North Clyde
However, as each is completed it could be cleared and placed into the same usage as a Class 318

Status
Not open for further replies.