• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 325s eventual replacement. Could 769s etc be used?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobShipway

Established Member
Apologies if this has been asked before, but I was wondering what could replace the class 325?

I believe the class 325 trains are based on the class 319 units. With some of the class 319 having been withdrawn and others not having too much of a future within the next few years I was wondering what will Royal Mail do about getting the class 325 units replaced?

I know that there is about 36 class 769 units, 2 class 768 units and 2 class 799 units. I have wondered whether the 19 class 769 units that where meant to have gone to GWR, could go to Royal Mail. But those units from where they where built as class 319 units are older than the class 325 units.

A possible future product for rail engineering in the UK, might be a BEMU (Battery-Electric Multiple Unit) of say the Alstom Aventra or similar train from either Siemens, Hitachi or CAF. Or instead of battery, be like the class 799 and have Hydrogen fuel cell power. I think something like this would make a good parcel train replacement for the class 325 units and is the only new train building if it happens that I can see happening after existing orders are completed that could happen in the next 20 years.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AngusH

I'd agree, some kind of new variant of whatever is in fashion at the time seems most likely if they choose to go for a multiple unit variant. Unless they could get cast off passenger units and convert (but has this ever been successful?)

Replacement may be a bit of a way off, I'm not sure the 325 units have had that much use compared to their passenger equivalents so they might not need replacing yet.

They are also five years younger than the 319s dating from 1995 I think rather than 1987-1990 and they have been locomotive hauled at times (but would that reduce wear and tear or not?)

I suspect that the freight operators would probably switch to using wagons and locomotives if they could, because it would match the rest of their business rather than an oddball special fleet.

If multiple units are the preferred answer, I wonder if it would better off run by a passenger operator that also operates similar units, because it's much closer to that in operation than to the freight operators. But this doesn't match the current setup of the industry.

It will come down to what royal mail want to do.

When the 325 are due for replacement I wonder if some kind of mechanically loading container based system might be proposed with entirely different arrangements.
(This type of system wide change supposedly caused sncf to give up on the LaPoste tgv units)

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Apologies if this has been asked before, but I was wondering what could replace the class 325?
Does something need to replace the class 325?

With regard to battery or hydrogen units, aren't all the relevant terminals already on electrified routes?

RobShipway

Established Member
Does something need to replace the class 325?

With regard to battery or hydrogen units, aren't all the relevant terminals already on electrified routes?
The current relevant terminals are on electrified routes. But what about taking post to future terminals or existing sorting offices, that lie close to a railway line where usage of large lorries could be stopped?

JonathanH

Veteran Member
The current relevant terminals are on electrified routes. But what about taking post to future terminals or existing sorting offices, that lie close to a railway line where usage of large lorries could be stopped?
What about it? Can Royal Mail afford new terminals? Might they just decide to invest in electric lorries. Expanding to new terminals isn't the same as replacing 325s?

D365

Veteran Member
The Class 325s are due to be fitted with ETCS. Why is there a need for discussing about their replacement?

Any expansion of the Royal Mail fleet would most likely be serviced with Class 321s.

CBlue

Class 325s may have Networker-style bodies but I understand they are effectively 319s underneath. Their use has hardly been intensive compared to their cousins on Thameslink, so I'd imagine a good extra decade or more of use is possible without any engineering changes.

If the bodyshells can be kept in good enough condition for parcels work then the best solution if they start getting worn out drivelines is simply a motor and electronics upgrade. Would give a nice boost to efficiency and acceleration too over the old DC motors they use - if it was needed at all.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Class 325s may have Networker-style bodies but I understand they are effectively 319s underneath.
They have 319 style bodies. It is just the front end that has any commonality with Networkers.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
The 325s are also eight years younger than the 319s and have been run less intensely; I would therefore think it highly unlikely that 769s would be a suitable replacement?

On Moderation
Over 24hrs into the thread and there's been no mention of 365s, 379s or 442s. Standards are slipping on here! :lol::lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.