• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 332 final week and scrap moves

Status
Not open for further replies.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Seems wikipedia needs updating and the 332 page needs less messing about with and how many have been scrapped so far?
It’s been updated, and reverted. Some “wiki authors” just won’t accept lineside reports, RTT moves and photos of drags to Newport as reliable evidence... it’s been discussed earlier in the 332 speculation thread...

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JN114

Established Member
I understand the reversion a somewhat.

Wiki is meant to be an online encyclopaedia; not a rolling stock library. I’d conjecture the article doesn’t need to count off the units as they’re all scrapped one by one. It certainly hasn’t been as such for other UK rail pages during fleet withdrawals. IMO the “live” editing goes against wiki policies on Notability and Ongoing Events.

Just needs to say they were withdrawn finally from service on 28th December 2020, and the final unit was scrapped on xyz date.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I understand the reversion a somewhat.

Wiki is meant to be an online encyclopaedia; not a rolling stock library. I’d conjecture the article doesn’t need to count off the units as they’re all scrapped one by one. It certainly hasn’t been as such for other UK rail pages during fleet withdrawals. IMO the “live” editing goes against wiki policies on Notability and Ongoing Events.

Just needs to say they were withdrawn finally from service on 28th December 2020, and the final unit was scrapped on xyz date.
I do agree that’s part of the problem. Some people seem to want far too much instant detail.

D7666

As the page is called "British Rail Class 332" the whole thing is flawed from the word go.

They were never BR. The point while valid for many other types is specifically more valid w.r.t. 332 and HEx as the whole thing has been an open access operation from the word go. True it was orginally a BAA + BRB joint concept, but BRB passed it's 30% share to BAA long before a 332 was ordered never mind turned a wheel.

And even if they were the correct wording in this context would be British Railways not Rail [applies equally to every wikidribble page].

Never believe a wiki page; if you really must use it, and if the page is correctly authored, follow the cited link or source.

Energy

Established Member
As the page is called "British Rail Class 332" the whole thing is flawed from the word go.
All British stock is called British Rail on wikipedia although whether they have been scrapped or not seems inaccurate on wikipedia.

supervc-10

Wiki just use 'British Rail' to distinguish between the 332 used on HEx services, and the German Class 332 shunter, in this case, or any other time a UK class number overlaps with something elsewhere.

D365

Veteran Member
Wiki just use 'British Rail' to distinguish between the 332 used on HEx services, and the German Class 332 shunter, in this case, or any other time a UK class number overlaps with something elsewhere.
Exactly; the BR argument has been done to death and is very off-topic.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Two more units off to Newport for scrap today - just passed Slough - one 4-car and one 5-car topped and tailed by 66704, the ferry wagons and 66724.

Through the tunnel this time, I think some earlier moves ran via Gloucester? Was that because they were not yet cleared?

D365

Veteran Member
Hopefully this will see to the ending of the Class 332 speculative thread!

JN114

Established Member
What next for the 332s? Heinz bean cans or Branston's? Gillette or Wilkinson Sword razors?

I heard they’re gonna be unscrapped and Loco-Hauled on a Darlington - Teeside Airport Express service...

DB

332007 & 332010 are the victims of the gas-axe this time around.

Do Simms actually chop them up with Oxy-Acetylene? Given how fast they process them I would assume probably not. Anyone know what method they use? Claw on an excavator?

Geeves

Established Member
If its anything like the other stock that went there recently a grabber pulls the coaches along, flips them on their sides and gets to work pretty much as soon as the loco has detached or in some cases rolled off the back of the lorry. Sims at Newport has that monster shreading machine so that chops everything up easy.

antharro

Likely to be torn up with an excavator and put in the pile to be shredded. That shredder at Newport is seriously massive. I would speculate that if they could be dismantled at Newport then they wouldn't need to be dismantled as much - just into small enough pieces that they could be put directly into the shredder.

adc82140

Established Member
Are any of the remaining 332s officially still available for use with HEX, or are they all now finally done? If they are done, I presume most of the staff have now gone from OOC, and it's now effectively a storage location.

JN114

Established Member
Are any of the remaining 332s officially still available for use with HEX, or are they all now finally done? If they are done, I presume most of the staff have now gone from OOC, and it's now effectively a storage location.

On paper 4 are available for traffic still. However for complications it wouldn’t be appropriate to discuss on a public forum; things would have to go drastically south for them to actually be called on. That availability ends shortly.

Reading this just reminds me I am getting older - 3rd gen EMU's going for scrap - hard to believe but agree with all that has been said, no use for the modern railway and riddled with tinworm

DustyBin

Established Member
Do Simms actually chop them up with Oxy-Acetylene? Given how fast they process them I would assume probably not. Anyone know what method they use? Claw on an excavator?

They’ll use a scrap handler (excavator of sorts) with an attachment such as a claw, grab, grapple or shear. I’ve seen all of these used at different sites, I’d imagine at somewhere like Newport they’ll have plenty to choose from! I’d speculate that a shear is commonly used on modern rolling stock built from large extruded sections as it’s more precise and can also cut up heavy chassis sections etc. Incidentally, they won’t use oxy-acetylene for cutting up scrap as it’s too expensive, they’ll use oxy-propane. The former is mainly used for welding where a consistent hot, clean flame is required (I thought you may be interested!)

Are there any photos online of the shredder at Newport?

They made a documentary about it, it was part of the ‘Megastructures’ series. I think it’s on YouTube if you want to see it.

59CosG95

Established Member
One of the driving vehicles from 332001 has escaped the scrapper, and will (AFAICT) be plinthed at Siemens' Goole factory. (Image from LinkedIn)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210209-122630_LinkedIn.jpg
    Screenshot_20210209-122630_LinkedIn.jpg
    760.8 KB · Views: 331
Status
Not open for further replies.