• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 345 stabling locations

Status
Not open for further replies.

grond

Hi all! I'm playing NIMBY Rails (highly recommend, it's a great game) and am trying to faithfully recreate the Elizabeth Line. I've found that the Aventras have depots at OOC, which has 42 slots, and Ilford EMU depot. Ilford doesn't seem to have enough space to accommodate the remaining 28 locos from the EL fleet so I was wondering - where do they stay overnight? Thank you!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JonathanH

Veteran Member
There are also 6 siding roads at Maidenhead, 8 at Plumstead, 3 at Shenfield and, I think, 8 at Gidea Park.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Hi all! I'm playing NIMBY Rails (highly recommend, it's a great game) and am trying to faithfully recreate the Elizabeth Line. I've found that the Aventras have depots at OOC, which has 42 slots, and Ilford EMU depot. Ilford doesn't seem to have enough space to accommodate the remaining 28 locos from the EL fleet so I was wondering - where do they stay overnight? Thank you!
Plumstead and Maidenhead are at least two other stabling locations.

Established Member
There are also 6 siding roads at Maidenhead, 8 at Plumstead, 3 at Shenfield and, I think, 8 at Gidea Park.
9 at Gidea Park including the Spur. Also platforms 5 and 6 at Shenfield, or platform 1 and the up loop depending on NR engineering possessions. The number of units stabled at Ilford is limited by the Depot Access Agreement with GA, something like 12.

Last edited:

Snow1964

Established Member
From memory it is also possible to short term stable during quiet hours by using a platform at Heathrow T4 and Heathrow T5, and probably at Liverpool Street (main station) too.

Once Old Oak Common opens, would also be able to use the 2 of 4 Elizabeth line platforms, and the 3 reversing sidings at Westbourne Park (because trains will be extended to Old Oak and not routinely use Westbourne Park sidings once service extended).

Established Member
From memory it is also possible to short term stable during quiet hours by using a platform at Heathrow T4 and Heathrow T5, and probably at Liverpool Street (main station) too.

Once Old Oak Common opens, would also be able to use the 2 of 4 Elizabeth line platforms, and the 3 reversing sidings at Westbourne Park (because trains will be extended to Old Oak and not routinely use Westbourne Park sidings once service extended).
There’s various short term options, but it is always preferable to stable trains where there are traincrew depots, to avoid unproductive passenger travel.

J-2739

Established Member
Can they be stabled at Abbey Wood, just past platform 3?

I've seen a 345 stored there during the day, but during the night?

JonathanH

Veteran Member

I think that is effectively a 'cripple siding' to cope with unit failures.

sharpinf

I think that is effectively a 'cripple siding' to cope with unit failures.
The siding does now see regular booked workings e.g. from RTT for today shows there were scheduled to be 3 units in and out, it doesn't seem to routinely by used for overnight unit stabling though

JonathanH

Veteran Member
The siding does now see regular booked workings e.g. from RTT for today shows there were scheduled to be 3 units in and out, it doesn't seem to routinely by used for overnight unit stabling though
Ah, does that mean that it is used for a 'hot spare' instead? It is interesting that the times effectively align with a unit being used to increase the peak frequency.

sharpinf

Ah, does that mean that it is used for a 'hot spare' instead? It is interesting that the times effectively align with a unit being used to increase the peak frequency.
Possibly, it's something that has come in with the May timetable. Previously as you said it only ever seemed to be used when the line needed clearing.

To get back on topic slightly similar to Heathrow and Liverpool Street HL already mentioned, Abbey Wood platforms can be used for short term stabling

Status
Not open for further replies.