• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 350 DOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

whoosh

Established Member
I've seen some pictures of 350111 with what look to be bodyside cameras and casings for DOO screens in the cab.
Anyone know anything more about this?
Is it just the one unit?

Gearing up for DOO on LNR or a potential cascade elsewhere do you think?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hstmatt

I spotted a few units out last week with DOO cameras fitted, 350117 comes to mind

Attachments

• B48FD0ED-1110-4C7F-A874-9EDAA9598D7D.jpeg
    B48FD0ED-1110-4C7F-A874-9EDAA9598D7D.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 350

Carlisle

Established Member
Not saying they should but essentially no reason theoretically why SWRs Desiros couldn’t be similarly fitted then.

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
Yes 350s are currently having bodyside cameras and cab monitors installed as part of a refresh by Siemens as per DfT commitments.

This is to allow greater flexibility when they are moved on from their current TOC.

Did cause some anxiety for train crew that didn't read the newsletter back in Feb when we were made aware

Carlisle

Established Member
This is to allow greater flexibility when they are moved on from their current TOC.
The real reason is the industry’s failure to implement proposed DCO on WMR amongst others, wether that’s good or bad is of course up for debate

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
The real reason is the industry’s failure to implement proposed DCO on WMR amongst others, wether that’s good or bad is up for debate
It's nothing to do with the current arrangements. It's being done as agreed between Siemens, the DfT and whichever ROSCO owns the units. WMT have not requested this.

All the 172s have been retrofitted with DOO cameras too. Bletchleyite's recall of the franchise commitments are correct.
Yes this was the case with the 172s. AFAIM the 350 situation is not quite the same as it's Siemens who are doing this under 'future proofing'

whoosh

Established Member
Is it just the 350/1 series, or are the /2,/3, & /4 series planned as well?

It would seem to improve their options of where they could be cascaded to at a future date.

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
Is it just the 350/1 series, or are the /2,/3, & /4 series planned as well?

It would seem to improve their options of where they could be cascaded to at a future date.
They didn't specify, so I would imagine all will be done at some point. Not sure what timeframe we're looking at.

pompeyfan

Established Member
Only just seen this. How on earth are they mounted ergonomically in the cab?

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
Only just seen this. How on earth are they mounted ergonomically in the cab?
They're not, pretty much every driver at my depot has formally complained about them. No thought has gone into positioning of the monitors. Obtrusive is how I'd describe them. Reduces what can be seen out of the window for sure.

pompeyfan

Established Member
They're not, pretty much every driver at my depot has formally complained about them. No thought has gone into positioning of the monitors. Obtrusive is how I'd describe them. Reduces what can be seen out of the window for sure.

Are you able to post or source a picture please? I didn’t think there would be any room in the cab to safely do so.

Spirit555

As a regular WMR/LNR traveller, I have not seen any 350/2 done as yet. Have seen all other subclasses fitted though.

Mark

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
as holders of the lease, they must have requested it, surely? But very clearly not for their use.
Well possibly, however fleet and unions have sent out comms stating it's been a request from the DfT to Siemens for use by the next operator. I can only go on what information I've been supplied with.

Are you able to post or source a picture please? I didn’t think there would be any room in the cab to safely do so.
I don't have a photo to hand but can certainly get one

On Moderation
As a regular WMR/LNR traveller, I have not seen any 350/2 done as yet. Have seen all other subclasses fitted though.

Mark
The 350/2s are Porterbrook owned, unlike the rest of the fleet which are Angel's. So it may well be an agreement between DfT, Siemens and Angel.

Fincra5

Established Member
I have always wondered how on earth you'd get DOO Camera's in a 350 cab...

At least on an Electrostar they're on the Moveable Cab Panel, to give a decent view without obscuring any front window viewing.

boxerdog

The newly installed equipment cannot block any part of the windscreen from the drivers viewpoint (and it doesn't).350mod.jpg

Bigfoot

Making an already narrow cab narrower. If they did this to a 444 cab, which is narrower than a 450/350 it will feel absolutely horrible.

pompeyfan

Established Member
So are drivers expected to get neck cramp when using then? That looks like such an unnatural position to have to twist your neck. Is the “Christmas tree” of fault lights above the screens or have they been moved?

boxerdog

So are drivers expected to get neck cramp when using then? That looks like such an unnatural position to have to twist your neck. Is the “Christmas tree” of fault lights above the screens or have they been moved?
The Xmas tree is now above the new equipment. From memory it's been condensed somewhat. As for twisting, I really don't know. As having the additional equipment in the cab takes some getting used to by itself.

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
The newly installed equipment cannot block any part of the windscreen from the drivers viewpoint (and it doesn't).View attachment 120742
That's how it looks on camera, and that photo has clearly been distorted by the lense (narrowed). When you're sat in that chair it does impact your sightlines, and I can only imagine it being worse once covers are removed and you see reflections in the screen out of the corner of your eye.

boxerdog

That's how it looks on camera, and that photo has clearly been distorted by the lense (narrowed). When you're sat in that chair it does impact your sightlines, and I can only imagine it being worse once covers are removed and you see reflections in the screen out of the corner of your eye.
I can only disagree with you on the point regarding sightlines, it does however make the cab a more claustrophobic experience, but one that I am now getting used to. The equipment would not have been fitted if it did effect sightlines (it has to be inspected and agreed). Regarding the reflection from the plated over screen (if it gets uncovered in the future). I believe there is a very small chance of reflection of the sun or LED platform lights from the TMS depending if you are a short driver with the blind raised and the seat in its forward position with the sun/lamp being at a specific angle in relation to the train. Also, please take into account these plated over screens should be coated with an anti reflective coating which should mitigate against reflected light from the PIS screen (please note that since originally installed the PIS can now be dimmed down to 1% from the previous minimum of 10%) The GSMR is possible reflection risk, but, again can most likely be mitigated against by dimming to its minimum setting, also, not being white light should also make some difference).

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
I can only disagree with you on the point regarding sightlines, it does however make the cab a more claustrophobic experience, but one that I am now getting used to. The equipment would not have been fitted if it did effect sightlines (it has to be inspected and agreed). Regarding the reflection from the plated over screen (if it gets uncovered in the future). I believe there is a very small chance of reflection of the sun or LED platform lights from the TMS depending if you are a short driver with the blind raised and the seat in its forward position with the sun/lamp being at a specific angle in relation to the train. Also, please take into account these plated over screens should be coated with an anti reflective coating which should mitigate against reflected light from the PIS screen (please note that since originally installed the PIS can now be dimmed down to 1% from the previous minimum of 10%) The GSMR is possible reflection risk, but, again can most likely be mitigated against by dimming to its minimum setting, also, not being white light should also make some difference).
Well hopefully the covers are never removed. Obviously it's a personal thing, compared to my old traction I don't like the cabs in the 350s so that probably increases my dislike for the can layout, and number of screens/lights etc.

Fincra5

Established Member
I agree that really isn't a natural position for a driver to be able to observe monitors from... not so much the actual position more the angle the screen would be at!

MITRAC on a 377.387 is similar but thats only used, mostly, for Setup and Faults!

Status
Not open for further replies.