• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 365 scrap movements + preservation discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

On Moderation
I would have thought that 365s could go anywhere that post office Networkers being that apart from carrying passengers they are very similar.
Post office Networkers? If you mean the 325s, they are basically 319s with a Networker cab on. They are very, very different to a 365.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hwl

Established Member
I would have thought that 365s could go anywhere that post office Networkers being that apart from carrying passengers they are very similar.
The royal mail 325s are effectively very similar to 319s but with networker cabs...

cnjb8

Established Member
Could they not go bi-mode? Sort of an evolution on the 769s. Could be used by Northern to replace Sprinters.

py_megapixel

Established Member
Could they not go bi-mode? Sort of an evolution on the 769s. Could be used by Northern to replace Sprinters.
There are nowhere near enough of them and the 769s so far have not been a success - the least reliable units in the country despite being years late.

CBlue

Convert them into sealed baked bean containers. You can then own a small slice of a 365 simply by visiting your local supermarket. :p

cnjb8

Established Member
There are nowhere near enough of them and the 769s so far have not been a success - the least reliable units in the country despite being years late.
That’s what I mean, learn from the 769 situation to create a bi-mode train that works!
It’s very unlikely, with Northern wanting to standardise and the leasing situation

skyhigh

Established Member
They look like 325s, but mechanically/electrically they're pretty much 319s.
I don't think any more conversions of old unwanted trains should be encouraged (and then forced upon Northern to replace trains that actually work).

supervc-10

As much as I like the 365s... they're going to get scrapped. I'd rather electrify a few more routes to ditch some Sprinters and use 365s but that's simply not going to happen in the timeframe it needs to. Add in the fact that the superior 350/2s are going to be available soon too in similar numbers, and the outlook for the 365s is not good.

Journeyman

Established Member
Yup, as others have said, they're 319s under the skin, and therefore technically nothing like the 365s. They perform completely differently and have totally different electronic interference issues. The bodywork isn't the same either. Roughly the same dimensions, but completely differently constructed.

Only the cabs are vaguely similar. Nothing else is even remotely the same.

driverd

365s are very limited as to where they can run under their own power as there is electrical interference between them and the signalling systems (800s/801s/802s had a very similar issue a while back), therefore the only places they can run under their own power are places that have been specifically cleared for them - that is Kings Cross to Peterborough/Kings Lynn, the Hertford loop and a few routes in Scotland.

Not to doubt you for a second but I'm curious about the basis of this information - they seemed to be quite readily deployed in Scotland and didn't have any issues with OHLE/signalling compatibility. What's the basis for thinking there are major issues with the electronics, as opposed to simple clearance issues?

DanNCL

Established Member
Not to doubt you for a second but I'm curious about the basis of this information - they seemed to be quite readily deployed in Scotland and didn't have any issues with OHLE/signalling compatibility. What's the basis for thinking there are major issues with the electronics, as opposed to simple clearance issues (ie: broadly speaking EMUs are 20m, so 23m vehicles could be the constraint in various areas)?
It’s likely in the main historical issues, with route clearance for other routes not having been done simply as there’s been no need.

Journeyman

Established Member
Not to doubt you for a second but I'm curious about the basis of this information - they seemed to be quite readily deployed in Scotland and didn't have any issues with OHLE/signalling compatibility. What's the basis for thinking there are major issues with the electronics, as opposed to simple clearance issues?
They still had to be tested to make sure they could operate in Scotland. They may not have been able to, but presumably we got lucky here.

The Networker family is know to be electronically and magnetically "dirty" in a way that earlier DC-motored trains, and later AC-motored trains aren't. They were an early use of a particular technology, and the frequency of various on-board systems is potentially problematic in a lot of areas.

driverd

It’s likely in the main historical issues, with route clearance for other routes not having been done simply as there’s been no need.
So in most cases its unlikely to be much of an issue. Generally route clearance is just a paper exercise.

D365

Veteran Member
So in most cases its unlikely to be much of an issue. Generally route clearance is just a paper exercise.
Key word emphasised. As per @Journeyman’s comments, the Networkers are a rather special case from a time where three-phase inverter technology was developing at a rate of knots.

Journeyman

Established Member
Key word emphasised. As per @Journeyman’s comments, the Networkers are a rather special case from a time where three-phase inverter technology was developing at a rate of knots.
Yeah. An absolutely vast amount of work had to be done to immunise signalling systems before the Networkers entered traffic, and it's possible that similar work will be needed for any future redeployment of 365s. That work will not be needed for 350/2s.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Despite their similar looks the class 325 ‘post office’ units have more in common with the 319s rather than the 365s.

Last edited:

D365

Veteran Member
Despite their similar looks the class 325 ‘post office’ units have more in common with the 318s rather than the 365s.
I’ll assume that was a typo for ”319” ;)

Cl325 is a slightly modified 319.

driverd

They still had to be tested to make sure they could operate in Scotland. They may not have been able to, but presumably we got lucky here.

The Networker family is know to be electronically and magnetically "dirty" in a way that earlier DC-motored trains, and later AC-motored trains aren't. They were an early use of a particular technology, and the frequency of various on-board systems is potentially problematic in a lot of areas.

Sorry, I missed this message before posting my reply.

Interesting to know! Would more modern signalling generally be less vulnerable to this? Just curious as to why there was no issue on E to G?

Journeyman

Established Member
Interesting to know! Would more modern signalling generally be less vulnerable to this? Just curious as to why there was no issue on E to G?
I think it was more luck than judgement! The 365s really dug ScotRail out of a hole. Because it was Hitachi's fault that they were needed due to problems with the 385s, I believe they funded the whole project. The suspension was jacked up slightly, but I don't think any further action was required.

fgwrich

Established Member
I think it was more luck than judgement! The 365s really dug ScotRail out of a hole. Because it was Hitachi's fault that they were needed due to problems with the 385s, I believe they funded the whole project. The suspension was jacked up slightly, but I don't think any further action was required.
I believe the side steps were replaced for narrower ones as well. I have to say though, they rather suited their work with ScotRail rather nicely - a shame the Fife Circle wasn't electrified sooner as I feel they'd be ideal (with refurbishment and modernisation!) for that. But yes, they rather did dig ScotRail out of the hole at the time.

Journeyman

Established Member
I believe the side steps were replaced for narrower ones as well.
Yeah, I think you're right there.
I have to say though, they rather suited their work with ScotRail rather nicely - a shame the Fife Circle wasn't electrified sooner as I feel they'd be ideal (with refurbishment and modernisation!) for that. But yes, they rather did dig ScotRail out of the hole at the time.
Yeah, I was rather sad to see them go. I was commuting from Linlithgow to Glasgow on them for a while, and they were nice to travel on. I don't think there's any shortage of EMUs in Scotland now, though.

Wolvercoter

Hi all,
Just trying to piece together storage locations of the 365s. Can anyone confirm whether this is correct?

All odd-numbered units at Crewe South and all even-numbered units at Doncaster Belmont, except:
512 at Ely
525 at Bicester
526 at Crewe Works
528 at Ely
539 at Doncaster Belmont

bramling

Veteran Member
Hi all,
Just trying to piece together storage locations of the 365s. Can anyone confirm whether this is correct?

All odd-numbered units at Crewe South and all even-numbered units at Doncaster Belmont, except:
512 at Ely
525 at Bicester
526 at Crewe Works
528 at Ely
539 at Doncaster Belmont

365526 is essentially disposed of. Two cars went to Spadeadam and are presumed long destroyed, and a third car was scrapped at Booths a couple of years ago. This leaves one driving car, which was last reported at Wolverton.

The_Train

Established Member
Hi all,

512 at Ely
525 at Bicester
526 at Crewe Works
528 at Ely
539 at Doncaster Belmont
This ties up with the 365 records at https://www.ukraillog.co.uk/360-379 apart from the 2 you have at Ely, which are now at Belmont and 526 which @bramling has explained about above

Status
Not open for further replies.