• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 373 Eurostar withdrawals

Status
Not open for further replies.

brad465

Established Member
Have all the 373s that are being withdrawn now been moved out and scrapped? In my most recent visit to the Fawkham junction area yesterday, along with previous visits back as far as August no set is visibly being stored on the link.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

59CosG95

Established Member
Have all the 373s that are being withdrawn now been moved out and scrapped? In my most recent visit to the Fawkham junction area yesterday, along with previous visits back as far as August no set is visibly being stored on the link.
The set that was there, 3013/14, was scrapped earlier this year.
3105/06 is stored in Valenciennes or Dourges (can't remember which), and a few others are dotted around in France too. Nothing is being stored in Fawkham now, at least until the e300 program ends and all the e320s are delivered.

DanNCL

Established Member
Are they all being scrapped over here or some in France?
I think some of the SNCF sets, along with some of the north of London sets, have already been scrapped in France. All of the BR sets that have been scrapped have gone to EMR.

brad465

Established Member
The set that was there, 3013/14, was scrapped earlier this year.
3105/06 is stored in Valenciennes or Dourges (can't remember which), and a few others are dotted around in France too. Nothing is being stored in Fawkham now, at least until the e300 program ends and all the e320s are delivered.

Didn't realise they only stored one set there, I was under the belief that, on hearing about the scrap plans from the start of this thread last year, that most sets were one by one held there, "in a queue". But now you mention it, it kind of makes sense that no more than one was held there, given it's an unusual storage spot (even in spite of the dormant line in question).

malc-c

On a recent search on the net I discovered that I had missed a 6X73 movement through Stevenage in the early hours of 25th November 2017. According to one site (http://www.jamiesquibbs.com/november-2017.html)
GBRf 66778 propels Eurostar 3103+3104 into Kingsbury for scrapping as train 6X73 St Pancras to Kingsbury on the 25th November 2017.

So it would appear that there are still some that are going through the process, unless 3103 +3104 was the last set ?

rdlover777

not sure if anyone has brought this up, today while on google maps, i had a look at that Kingsbury scrap yard and i found this
Pe3THPa.png

kPcobDf.png

DanNCL

Established Member
not sure if anyone has brought this up, today while on google maps, i had a look at that Kingsbury scrap yard and i found this
Pe3THPa.png

kPcobDf.png
I noticed that a few weeks ago. I'm not sure how old the imagery is, though the number of power cars visible suggests that it can't have been taken too long ago

rdlover777

I noticed that a few weeks ago. I'm not sure how old the imagery is, though the number of power cars visible suggests that it can't have been taken too long ago

Google Earth dates the image as either the 4th of Auguest or the 8th of April

59CosG95

Established Member
On a recent search on the net I discovered that I had missed a 6X73 movement through Stevenage in the early hours of 25th November 2017. According to one site (http://www.jamiesquibbs.com/november-2017.html)

So it would appear that there are still some that are going through the process, unless 3103 +3104 was the last set ?
You're right, 3103/3104 was the most recent set to be sent for scrap.

cj_1985

Just out of interest, and it may come from a place of paranoia, but with Eurostar now being largely SNCF controlled (so French government), how many of the sets that have been scrapped so far, or are expected to be, were ordered by BR, or SNCB... and how many of those remaining in the fleet were SNCF ordered

On Moderation
Just out of interest, and it may come from a place of paranoia, but with Eurostar now being largely SNCF controlled (so French government), how many of the sets that have been scrapped so far, or are expected to be, were ordered by BR, or SNCB... and how many of those remaining in the fleet were SNCF ordered
The eight sets that are being refurbished were originally owned by BR/EPS (2 sets) and SNCF (6 sets). FWIW I don't think the original owner has any influence over what has been retained. After all, despite the SNCF involvement, Eurostar ordered its new trains from Siemens, much to the disgust of the French government and Alstom (both predictably).

cj_1985

The eight sets that are being refurbished were originally owned by BR/EPS (2 sets) and SNCF (6 sets). FWIW I don't think the original owner has any influence over what has been retained. After all, despite the SNCF involvement, Eurostar ordered its new trains from Siemens, much to the disgust of the French government and Alstom (both predictably).

I'm not saying that any one country has total control over assets they purchased. I'm merely suggesting that given that E* is majority controlled by SNCF now, that they are ensuring that as many of the machines/sets that they funded are retained.

Southern Dvr

I'm not saying that any one country has total control over assets they purchased. I'm merely suggesting that given that E* is majority controlled by SNCF now, that they are ensuring that as many of the machines/sets that they funded are retained.

Could be very expensive 'pride' if that was the case though. Throw the 'better ones' away to keep poorer condition ones jsut because you funded them!

malc-c

It was cold last night, but managed to video it going through Welwyn North (along with a couple of other movements including the mail train). Could anyone inform me what movement this was, 6th, 7th, 8th set (sets ?) to be scrapped?, and how many more runs like this there are likely to be, or was this the last ?

On a side note, it was interesting to see that I wasn't the only nutter standing around at 1:10am "train spotting" - five other enthusiasts turned up !!

Last edited:

malc-c

I just looked on RTT to see how it progressed after reports of delays. Seems that it was delayed outside Sandy, and then again entering Tamworth, over 400 minutes !

Looking at the route, can anyone advise why it gets dragged from St Pancras up the ECML and then branches off across country, snaking through Melton Mowbray, then Leicester then up to Tamworth.

Wouldn't the WCML be a more direct route ?

FordFocus

Possible route clearance issues via the West Coast?

Good video that Malc. Good to see another unit drag and the Royal Mail trains still going!

Class465fan

It was cold last night, but managed to video it going through Welwyn North (along with a couple of other movements including the mail train). Could anyone inform me what movement this was, 6th, 7th, 8th set (sets ?) to be scrapped?, and how many more runs like this there are likely to be, or was this the last ?

On a side note, it was interesting to see that I wasn't the only nutter standing around at 1:10am "train spotting" - five other enthusiasts turned up !!

Out of topic but was that a 465/2?

goblinuser

Wouldn't be so sad if the replacement didn't look like the more out of date design compared to the 373s. Going to miss those sleek looks

malc-c

Sorry, neither I nor my brother-in-law managed to get the number of the 465.

malc-c

Thanks for comments on the video.
I've been wading through the thread from the fist page to get upto speed on the reasons behind the scrapping etc, and can see now the details on the oversized gauge etc. I presume that as there was a north of london eurostar service run by GNR at some point, clearance along the ECM exists, again presumably do to remodelling of the infrastructure like bridges at some point. Hence that's why they get dragged up the ECML

Gadget88

So I guess there’s not many original sets left? I read there’s one with old interior but new paint job?

I’ve never been on an original one shame they never added a carriage to the rail museum in York just the engine in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.