• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 377 subclasses

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halish Railway

Established Member
Hi, last October I took a Southern Metro service from Crystal Palace to Clapham Junction - It was formed of a 10 coach Class 377 which had the 2-by-2 seats (with no tables AFAIK) that were fitted to the original early 2000’s orders. I seem to remember it being 2x5 coach units, however, I thought that the 5 coach Southern Electrostars were later versions with ironing board seats.

So, I’d like to ask:
- What subclass are these units?
- When were they built?
- Am I talking complete nonsense and was it just 2x3 coach units plus 1x4 car unit?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JonathanH

Veteran Member
- Am I talking complete nonsense and was it just 2x3 coach units plus 1x4 car unit?

It will have been 2x377/3 +1 x377/1 or/4

377/3s date from 2003. They now have half size tables for their metro role. There aren't any 5-car 377s with that interior.

Generally the five car 377s with the slim profile seats work the services to Caterham and Tattenham Corner from London Bridge and peak services from Victoria. Most of the Victoria to Sutton via Crystal Palace workings are also pairs of 5-car units. There are a few left over and they share workings on the other ten-car routes from Victoria with the 4-3-3 formations including Victoria to London Bridge via Crystal Palace.

There are 28 377/3s plus 377342. There are 34 5-car 377s. Some of the 377/3s are used between Redhill and Tonbridge but the majority are on the 10-car workings from Victoria.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.