• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 37s for sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boothby97

Established Member
ITEMS FOR DISPOSAL:
MAY 2013

DBSR has the following locomotives available for sale:

LOCOMOTIVES
Locomotive Number
1 37703
2 37714
3 37716
4 37718
All are currently located at Dollands Moor. These locomotives will be sold as seen and as and where lying.

The successful bidder(s) will be required to remove the Locomotives at their own expense.

The closing date for registrations of interest for these locomotives is at 12 noon on Thursday 13th June 2013.

Click here to register your interest for these locomotives in accordance with the “Guide to making an offer for a Locomotive”.

Received via email from the DBS Mailing list. The sale of these to HNRC having fallen through, hopefully they are snapped as these would be useful to some companies.
Please note: I have no connection to any persons within the company DB Schenker.

Thanks, Sam

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

455driver

Veteran Member
If they are complete then scrap value would be roughly £35k, give or take.

Boothby97

Established Member
I've edited my original post, by wishes of the forum staff to follow the rules, apologies.

I think they are in a good state so they could be saved. I'd be surprised if DRS get any, but WCRC may get them. As there is no 37/7 in preservation some heritage railway could try to get one?
Other than that, HNRC may try to get them again after Harry Needles purchase of them fell through.
Thanks, Sam

455driver

Veteran Member
As these the "heavyweight" ones I cant see the heritage lines being very interested as they are hard on track with their 20 tonne axle loading.

Why would HNRC be interested in them if their sale to Harry Needle fell through?
The HN in HNRC stands for Harry Needle!

Boothby97

Established Member
As these the "heavyweight" ones I cant see the heritage lines being very interested as they are hard on track with their 20 tonne axle loading.
You are true about the 37/7s, one may be saved but the main issues are being heavyweights and money.

Why would HNRC be interested in them if their sale to Harry Needle fell through?
The HN in HNRC stands for Harry Needle!
I wasn't really sure about what had gone on. Apparently the sale has been cancelled not fallen through (my mistake). I also didn't really think about this but the rumour was that HNRC was to overhaul his 37s and hire them to GBRf but this rumour/proposal not now going ahead so 37415/670/696 disposed of (670 still for sale) and cancel the sale of the 37/7s.
So they are most likely to be Rotherham/Stockton/Kingsbury bound (scrap) or they could go to Carnforth (WCRC). I suppose its waiting time but we should know the outcome by this time next month.
Thanks, Sam

David Barrett

I'm not sure that the heavy status of the 37/7s need be a problem in preservation as the additional ballast was was provided purely for increased adhesive weight and the ability to haul higher trailing loads. As far as I can recall they are only steel slabs piled on top of each other and fastened down with four long studs so the reduction of axle loading may be possible. I might even still have some of my tecchie training bumph from the period, 1988 or thereabouts, lurking amongst the Dead Sea Scrolls somewhere.

90sWereBetter

Lost somewhere within Bank-Monument tube station,
Are there any 37/7s registered for main line use? I know WCRC bought a job lot of them from an EWS tender about 5 years ago, refurbished one and reinstated it, only for it to catch fire a few weeks later.

I'm not sure that the heavy status of the 37/7s need be a problem in preservation as the additional ballast was was provided purely for increased adhesive weight and the ability to haul higher trailing loads. As far as I can recall they are only steel slabs piled on top of each other and fastened down with four long studs so the reduction of axle loading may be possible. I might even still have some of my tecchie training bumph from the period, 1988 or thereabouts, lurking amongst the Dead Sea Scrolls somewhere.

Whilst that might be a good idea in principle to remove the ballast, I fear many heritage railways will have to invest in mops to clean up the foam from outraged enthusiasts, because "they're not proper 37/7s anymore, they're just 37/5s now!" :lol:

David Barrett

Are there any 37/7s registered for main line use? I know WCRC bought a job lot of them from an EWS tender about 5 years ago, refurbished one and reinstated it, only for it to catch fire a few weeks later.

Whilst that might be a good idea in principle to remove the ballast, I fear many heritage railways will have to invest in mops to clean up the foam from outraged enthusiasts, because "they're not proper 37/7s anymore, they're just 37/5s now!" :lol:

Yes, I had overlooked the provisional wing of the rivet counters but to some of us a 37 is just that, with a DC Generator and a big whirly Vane Motor worked Load Regulator. At least you didn't end up banging your nut on the box of electronitrickery when the batteries needed attention!!!!!!!!! Engine room access was a sight more difficult after rebuilding too.

Last edited:

Boothby97

Established Member
Renaming 37/7s not exported to Spain
37707, operational and based at WCRC, Carnforth
37709, stored at WCRC, Carnforth (and still in Loadhaul colours)
37712, stored at WCRC, Carnforth (was overhauled and repainted but ended up on fire I believe)

Thanks, Sam

tranzitjim

I am a train buff from Australia, keen to learn more about these four locomotives.

Does anyone have photos of these four locomotives, and what sort of condition are they in?

Boothby97

Established Member
I am a train buff from Australia, keen to learn more about these four locomotives.

Does anyone have photos of these four locomotives, and what sort of condition are they in?

Photos, from Flickr, not mine
37703: http://www.flickr.com/photos/64462625@N05/8301787392/
37714: http://www.flickr.com/photos/64462625@N05/8301742714/
37716: http://www.flickr.com/photos/64462625@N05/8301816490/
37718: http://www.flickr.com/photos/justinfoulger/7991274263/

They are reported to be in a good condition. But the issues are that they are heavyweights (so not good for heritage railways) and the fact that the amount of companies looking for extra Class 37s has reduced. DRS are not expected to bid due to the Class 68s arriving soon, and HNRC aren't expected to bid because they have withdrawn from the purchase of these already. I think WCRC could bid, so hopefully they are saved ;)

Hope this helps, Sam

Boothby97

Established Member
37714 was being transported up the M1 via road alongside another unidentified loco. Presumably gone for scrap?

raname4u.jpg

With 37703, gone up to Barrow Hill. 37716 & 37718 to go up to Derby RTC on Monday.
All (reported to) have been sold to DRS.

Thanks, Sam

Beveridges

Established Member
Does not surprise me that these have gone to DRS.

With the extra haulage power these "heavyweights" have, they can be used on heavy trains single headedly.

The only downside is the amount of money that needs spending on them. They might be cheap to buy but cost several hundreds of thousands of pounds getting each one operational again.

Last edited:

cj_1985

Does not surprise me that these have gone to DRS.

With the extra haulage power these "heavyweights" have, they can be used on heavy trains single headedly.

The only downside is the amount of money that needs spending on them. They might be cheap to buy but cost several hundreds of thousands of pounds getting each one operational again.

but the cost to reactivate one of these can probably be offset against any earnings from a new contract for these locos to be used on... assuming that the rumours about it being due to DRS winning additional NR NDS traffic are true

Ships

but the cost to reactivate one of these can probably be offset against any earnings from a new contract for these locos to be used on... assuming that the rumours about it being due to DRS winning additional NR NDS traffic are true

Where's this rumour come from? Would definitely be a change from the massed 66 and DBs diabolical ability to get locos out on time. I know that for some of the west coast renewals class 70s have been sought because db can't guaranty class 60s for the haul over shap. Freightliner are being used for Wigan southport works too.

al.currie93

With 37703, gone up to Barrow Hill. 37716 & 37718 to go up to Derby RTC on Monday.
All (reported to) have been sold to DRS.

Thanks, Sam

That's great :D hopefully we'll see some more 37s saved then :P

EDIT:

Like you said, I am surprised though, with the 68s thought to be coming in a few weeks time!

Last edited:

cj_1985

Yes, they didn't look good.

im sure the same could have been said for other class 37s DRS has had returned to service condition... several of the 37/4s spring to mind (Especially 37423 and iirc 37409)... although some of them would have possibly been in a slightly better condition than these ones

stargazer

im sure the same could have been said for other class 37s DRS has had returned to service condition... several of the 37/4s spring to mind (Especially 37423 and iirc 37409)... although some of them would have possibly been in a slightly better condition than these ones

True. It would be nice to see them once DRS have finished with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.