• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 387

Status
Not open for further replies.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Maybe you've given the 'final' answer - the fact many 365s are not at full power.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

spark001uk

Established Member
...I always thought the 365s accelerated well, but he 387s are something else...

You're not wrong there, on the GWR ones I usually have to hold my drink upon leaving most stops, or it'd be in my lap!!

...The 110mph capability of the 387s could prove beneficial if ever able to be utilised...

Are they limited to 100 on GN currently then? Is that track limitation or signalling?

spark001uk

Established Member
I believe it's down to the OHLE and/or pantograph design. I may be a little out of date on this, but certainly the 387 I went on today didn't exceed 100.

Hmm. I've certainly been at 110 on a GWR 387 a few times.

Agent_Squash

Established Member
Didn't they replace the pantograph when they were used on TL, to the same on as used on the rest of the dual voltage fleets?

bramling

Veteran Member
Hmm. I've certainly been at 110 on a GWR 387 a few times.

It doesn't have to be the ECML, it may well be something like the Kings Lynn section. If the pantograph has to be replaced with a different design to cope with issues there, this may prevent 110mph everywhere. Others will no doubt be able to elaborate further, but I believe this is, or certainly was, the issue.

In reality, 110mph will probably not be of too much immediate benefit on GN. The current timetable is based on 100mph. The higher speed doesn't start until some way out of King's Cross, and the chances of catching up with something else is quite high. Adjusting the timings may well require more extensive timetable changes, plus it would then introduce an issue should 365s stand in, which is still quite possible particularly on services to Peterborough Cambridge and Ely although less likely beyond due to the dividing/joining at Cambridge.

I'm sure 110mph will come eventually, but I can't see a pressing need for it especially with the current timetable.

GW is a different route with different infrastructure and different issues.

Don't forget GN was originally going to get the 100mph 377/5s, so evidently 110 wasn't seen as essential.

Adsy125

How busy is the 0935 Maidenhead-Paddington service normally, thinking of doing it next week. Thanks

aleggatta

Didn't they replace the pantograph when they were used on TL, to the same on as used on the rest of the dual voltage fleets?

The pans on the 387's have never changed from build, there were rumours that they were going to be, but this never happened

On Moderation
Any deliveries since 387.156?

Reported elsewhere that 387156 went to Old Dalby from Bletchley and 387160 went there direct from Derby. 387157-159 have now gone to Bletchley (157/158 have started the standard test procedure) and 387161 due out shortly (possibly today).

wls1

More GWR 387 diagrams commenced this morning (I think),

0803 MAI-PAD 0827
0836 PAD-MAI 0919
1711 PAD-MAI 1752

That now means the only direct Henley trains are the 0708 and 1905 return, all peak and high peak directs have now been cut.

Several other minor changes as well but none more that I can find are 387.

Melancholia

1507 Oxford to London Paddington stopping service now terminates at Maidenhead (1617) for a connecting EMU 1620 Maidenhead to London Paddington

I think that
2D09 0612 Paddington - Maidenhead
2D77 1942 Paddington - Maidenhead

are also 8-car 387 as of today.

This afternoon one of the Hayes turns is shown as 4 vice 8 on GWR journey check.

JN114

Established Member
I think that
2D09 0612 Paddington - Maidenhead
2D77 1942 Paddington - Maidenhead

are also 8-car 387 as of today.

This afternoon one of the Hayes turns is shown as 4 vice 8 on GWR journey check.

The 4 vice 8 this afternoon is due to a train fault, no spare available to strengthen back to 8 car. At present all M-F 387 workings are booked as 8 car with no plans to change that.

GodAtum

On Moderation
Was 1st class popular on the previous Turbo routes? I can imagine people coming from Marlow - Paddington have a lot of 1st class commuters?

wls1

First class would've been removed on those routes when it was removed from 165s so not much change. Only really have an effect on the peak oxford and didcot semi fasts.

reddragon

Established Member
There are now trains from Newbury, Bedwyn, Oxford & Reading terminating at Maidenhead during the peaks.

There are 13 AM and 5 PM UP + 7 AM and 14 PM down electrics to/from Maidenhead, more just to Slough.

I read from those in the know that no 387s west of Maidenhead are planned until January 2018, however, pressure from the top may well see 387s on Reading or Didcot peak trains much earlier than that, but we shall see!

samuelmorris

Established Member
First time using Gatwick Express yesterday, it was for the most part pretty pleasant, had the whole carriage almost to myself, being able to use oyster on it from as far afield as the airport was very convenient given the enormous ticket machine queue, though £20 single seems a bit steep given they hold the GX services to wait for stopping Southerns to pass in front. Makes a bit of a mockery of 'express' really!

I also noticed one particularly rough bit of track that nearly launched me from my seat and was sufficiently violent to trigger the inter-carriage doors to open. I don't remember exactly where that was, though. I know people have commented on the ride quality of 387s but I'm curious if that occurs on any of the other stock serving the route, it's certainly not something I remember experiencing on a 700.

Last edited:

Thatcham Xing

14 PM down electrics to/from Maidenhead, more just to Slough

I took the 1609 Paddington-Maidenhead (as far as Slough) yesterday, which was my first ride in a 387.

A pleasant experience overall. Seat felt a bit hard to start with, but soon got used to it. Swift acceleration and quiet, smooth ride at down relief linespeed.

spark001uk

Established Member
387157+158 delivered to West Ealing today (originally booked as Reading TCD), 37800 in charge but failed shortly after leaving Bletchley, train rescued and brought to Ealing by 47813.

physics34

Established Member
First time using Gatwick Express yesterday, it was for the most part pretty pleasant, had the whole carriage almost to myself, being able to use oyster on it from as far afield as the airport was very convenient given the enormous ticket machine queue, though £20 single seems a bit steep given they hold the GX services to wait for stopping Southerns to pass in front. Makes a bit of a mockery of 'express' really!

I also noticed one particularly rough bit of track that nearly launched me from my seat and was sufficiently violent to trigger the inter-carriage doors to open. I don't remember exactly where that was, though. I know people have commented on the ride quality of 387s but I'm curious if that occurs on any of the other stock serving the route, it's certainly not something I remember experiencing on a 700.

the sideways movement/jolts are bad on all of the electrostar family and worse above a motor bogie. Not great for the poor track conditions on the SR

superalbs

Established Member
I caught a GN 387 from KGX to ELY, it was insanely rough and you could feel every bump thanks to the awful Fainsa seats, but the acceleration was very impressive.

JN114

Established Member
387157+158 delivered to West Ealing today (originally booked as Reading TCD), 37800 in charge but failed shortly after leaving Bletchley, train rescued and brought to Ealing by 47813.

Not quite - the delivery is for Reading, the train was recessed in West Ealing for a replacement loco (57310) to be sourced as the batteries on the 37 were still required to run the braking system on the 387s, and couldn't be relied upon any longer with the engine not running.

5Q74 has now departed West Ealing 338L

choochoochoo

Established Member
is anything being done to stop that dreadful noise if you're in the carriage with the pan on it as you go through neutral sections ?

I think they should issue ear defenders if you sit underneath it :)

D365

Veteran Member
is anything being done to stop that dreadful noise if you're in the carriage with the pan on it as you go through neutral sections ?

There's really not much that can be done when it comes to circuit breakers.

Status
Not open for further replies.