• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 43 disposals

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

On Moderation
Spares donor?
From 125 Group's Facebook posting...
Fifth power car saved for preservation

125 Group is pleased to announce that ex Great Western power car, number 43025 has been purchased for preservation, thanks to the donation of funds by member Alex Carpenter.

The power car was selected as one of the best available for sale by Angel trains prior to the announcement of the GWR fleet rundown. While we could have waited to see what became available, it is likely that power cars with no or little miles left would be handed back first, but due to their compatibility with sliding door stock there is a high probability they could see re-use.

43025 compliments our fleet nicely, being a "career" Western region car, having worked there continuously from introduction until withdrawal in 2019. Despite spending just over exactly four years in storage, the power car is in remarkably good condition but will still take some time to return to working order, where it will become part of our mainline registered fleet and support the operation of passenger tours.

43025 joins 43159, bringing our MTU power car fleet up to two vehicles, giving us two of each newer type engine, as well as 43044 which is to be refitted with an original Valenta engine. This helps to assure the ability to operate passenger railtours into the future in-case of problems with obtaining spare parts for any particular engine type.

brad465

Established Member
I was looking at the list of Class 43 power cars and their status recently to find out why so relatively few have actually been scrapped, and was surprised to see how many are actually still in service or been preserved, although I imagine a good few spares donors exist that are put among the operator managed ones.

The_Train

Established Member
Indeed, privately owned but will be used by 125 Heritage. 023 left Ely today, 025 will be the next to leave. Another is due to follow later this week.
Thanks Rich - I'm led to believe that the private owner is a member of the 125 Heritage Group

The_Train

Established Member
I wonder if, like at the end of steam for some, this is a "pinch me moment" for the new owner - having just bought a train!
I can't imagine what must be like to look at something like a HST power car and think "that is actually mine"

Southern Dvr

Confirmed elsewhere that 43165 is en route to the Colne Valley Railway.
Do we read anything into the fact it appears to be all the ex GWR power cars that are going into preservation now? Are the LNER ones all demics? Not a single LNER power car in preservation?

The_Train

Established Member
43025 has been moved to Ruddington apparently

Confirmed elsewhere that 43165 is en route to the Colne Valley Railway.
Anybody know which group has taken this on? 125 Heritage or 125 Group or someone else?

Edit: Confirmed as the 125 Heritage Group :)

Last edited:

prj372

Do we read anything into the fact it appears to be all the ex GWR power cars that are going into preservation now? Are the LNER ones all demics? Not a single LNER power car in preservation?
I read on one of the 125 Preservation groups on Facebook this week that there is a reason why the LNER ones aren't being preserved right now and that all will become clear soon.

fgwrich

Established Member
The fact FGW didn't go through the same level of modifications as the GNER & XC power cars will be one factor; I.e the upgraded (and thus more complicated) Electronics system being one of them (the same system ScotRail should have gone for), while the East Coast Power Cars also have a different 36 way system requiring it's own plug / adaptor cable, which unfortunately are almost non existent and has required some cutting and splicing to make up new ones to ensure ex GNER vehicles can 'talk' to others.

cjmillsnun

Established Member
I read on one of the 125 Preservation groups on Facebook this week that there is a reason why the LNER ones aren't being preserved right now and that all will become clear soon.
Probably because they are all in bad shape. I seem to recall that EMR weren’t happy with the sets they inherited from LNER.

reddragon

Established Member
The ECML units di 1500 miles a day with 8+ coaches. GWML units had 1000 miles a day with 7-8 coaches and Laira gave them a lot of TLC

ECML units were rammed for whole journeys, GWR units Reading to Paddington only

On Moderation
The ECML units di 1500 miles a day with 8+ coaches. GWML units had 1000 miles a day with 7-8 coaches and Laira gave them a lot of TLC
1500 miles per day? The highest daily diagrammed mileage was 1,169 miles on the East Coast.

The_Train

Established Member
Being readied for a return to mainline service? ;) :D