• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 442: original destination displays

Status
Not open for further replies.

XAM2175

Established Member
Afternoon,
I've seen reference to the 442s having a dot-matrix destination display as-new but I'm having trouble spotting it in photographs. Is anybody able to confirm this for me, and even better turn up a picture of one?

Cheers.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Afternoon,
I've seen reference to the 442s having a dot-matrix destination display as-new but I'm having trouble spotting it in photographs. Is anybody able to confirm this for me, and even better turn up a picture of one?

Cheers.
Yes, and it took me some time to remember which Flickr account I'd seen a good photo in, but thankfully after some searching I found it.

So, here's a picture of a 442 in 1988 with "WEYMOUTH" clearly displayed:

(Photo credit to Alan Padley)

Strathclyder

Established Member
Yes, and it took me some time to remember which Flickr account I'd seen a good photo in, but thankfully after some searching I found it.

(Photo credit to Alan Padley)
I never knew they even had dot-matrixes there from new, but upon closer inspection of a few of Martin Loader's images of the class in NSE condition, the (out of use) display can be made out above the gangway door. Can't beileve I never noticed them before now (which I suppose reinforces the fact that they were considered too small to be of any practical use):

Last edited:

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I never knew they even had dot-matrixes there from new, but upon closer inspection of a few of Martin Loader's images of the class in NSE condition, the (out of use) display can be made out above the gangway door. Can't beileve I never noticed them before now (which I suppose reinforces the fact that they were considered too small to be of any practical use):

While trying to find the photo, I found ones from about 1990 onwards where the display appeared to have been plated over or removed and a grey-coloured plate inserted in the space. So it seems they did not last long in service.

Strathclyder

Established Member
While trying to find the photo, I found ones from about 1990 onwards where the display appeared to have been plated over or removed and a grey-coloured plate inserted in the space. So it seems they did not last long in service.
Aye, the three images I linked above do show it after it was removed and/or plated over. Virtually all trace of it was obliterated by the SWT repaint/refurb ofc.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Aye, the three images I linked above do show it after it was removed and/or plated over. Virtually all trace of it was obliterated by the SWT repaint/refurb ofc.
I'm surprised that SWT don't appear to have fitted them with newer displays of the period, they only seem to have regained displays during their GatEx careers.

XAM2175

Established Member

Aha, thank you very much!

... but upon closer inspection of a few of Martin Loader's images of the class in NSE condition, the (out of use) display can be made out above the gangway door. ...
I'd had a faint suspicion that that is where the display had been, based partly on having looked at Martin's photos myself, but yes it's far from being an easy thing to spot.

It would be interesting, I think, to hear more about the rationale for it being removed - because in my mind that is the best position for a display, even if it is a small one. Certainly it doesn't have the same problem of being invisible half the time if placed in the offside front window, or invisible all the time if placed above the gangway like on 458s :p Instead I'm thinking they may have had problems with reliability, given that flip-disc displays are fairly complex pieces of electro-mechanical kit and that position on the gangway must have subjected them to considerable vibration. I can imagine that if this caused them to fail rapidly then staff and management would have just given up on them, which would in turn explain the number of photographs that show them installed but out of use.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I think this was one of the liquid crystal (?) displays similar to those fitted outside and inside the various Networkers and on the front of 158s when new, as well as to some station information screens about the same time. This is different from the earlier flip-dots (having no moving parts) and the later LEDs, and in my view less satisfactory than either. I think the display was made up of triangles so it had some ability to display letters with diagonals, but they were very slow to change if used in alternating/scrolling form and they seemed to deteriorate quickly.

nw1

Established Member
I don't remember ever seeing them, but I only really saw 442s regularly from autumn 1989 onwards. On the other hand I did spend a day at Clapham in August 1988, and remember seeing 442s, but maybe the display was too small to be seen clearly. (The Weymouths didn't call at Clapham, and I do remember several of the '92' semi-fasts still being REP/TC stock with the odd 73/TC thrown in, so quite possible I didn't see many close up).

I think this was one of the liquid crystal (?) displays similar to those fitted outside and inside the various Networkers and on the front of 158s when new, as well as to some station information screens about the same time. This is different from the earlier flip-dots (having no moving parts) and the later LEDs, and in my view less satisfactory than either. I think the display was made up of triangles so it had some ability to display letters with diagonals, but they were very slow to change if used in alternating/scrolling form and they seemed to deteriorate quickly.

It does look the same style as that seen on 158s/Turbos/465s.

Status
Not open for further replies.