• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 460 Ashford

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hwl

Established Member
Is this the first unit to be sent for conversion?

Slightly surprised it is going by road but then again as the units are being totally split up they might want to start work on different vehicles at different times (i.e. leave conversion of the vehicles with roller shutters till last?) so some might some stay in Ashford for while?

As I understand it, some of the vehicles are being used to make 6 extra 458 units and some are being to lengthen the existing 458s to 5 coach so presumably the easier option is to do the conversion for 4 "new" units to provide the slack to then take the existing 458 units out of service for conversion a few at a time then final convert the final 2 new units which need 4 vehicles with roller shutters converting?

Southern Dvr

460004 (or parts of it) has been at WABTEC Doncaster for a while now. I'm told Colas will be making several more of these Bournemouth to Ashford moves over coming months and weeks.

Boothby97

Established Member
67904 (the Driving Motor Luggagge First), out of 460004 is at Loughbourgh with the rest at Doncaster. The DMLFO is the heaviest to convert so these should all go to Loughbourgh.

Hope this helps, Sam

GlosRail

That would explain why I passed 2 low loaders on the M25 this lunchtime carrying part of this uint.

paul1609

Established Member
That would explain why I passed 2 low loaders on the M25 this lunchtime carrying part of this uint.

I passed 2 low loaders on the Ashford ring Road heading to the M20 with a driving trailer and intermediate unit
at 11.00 this morning too

Tracked

Established Member
passed the 2 coaches on the M1 on saturday afternoon near Leicester, would've thought it would be easier to transport it all by rail though :-?

jopsuk

Veteran Member
RAGNARØKR;1250421 said:
When I saw this I thought it referred to a real class 460.

You seem to be confusing "real" with "in another country". Given this is a UK forum, and it isn't the "international" section, there really shouldn't be any cause for confusion :p

Ahem

Anyway, why aren't they being hauled up to Doncaster with the luggage vans being taken from there to Derby by road?

fgwrich

Established Member
You seem to be confusing "real" with "in another country". Given this is a UK forum, and it isn't the "international" section, there really shouldn't be any cause for confusion :p

Ahem

Anyway, why aren't they being hauled up to Doncaster with the luggage vans being taken from there to Derby by road?

Not sure, and rather supprisingly really considering they were hauled from Washwood heath with no problems, as well as the amount of other units moved back / forth from the South / South east up to Doncaster. Though i wonder if the nose cone is an issue? (then again, they arrived without them and were refitted in Stewards Lane).

Boothby97

Established Member

Ahem

Sorry, I have to pedantic, but one of the coaches is going to Loughborough not Derby :roll:. Wabtec are doing the work and Derby is a Bombardier site.

Hope this helps, Sam

Status
Not open for further replies.