• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 503 disposal

Sun Chariot

Established Member
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
Playing Devil's advocate- Would it have made a difference?
I agree.

Already evidenced (post #207): donations in respect of the 503, came to £3k. Costs merely for its storage for the same period, totalled £18k. Stored in a location distant from the (60+ years old) population who'd have used the 503s, then - even with some sort of media comms - I do not believe the outcome would have been different to the one we've seen.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DanNCL

Established Member
What a load of rubbish, "we couldn't be bothered saving it, please give us more money"
These things aren’t cheap and they don’t have an unlimited cash flow. The money has to come from somewhere and when there’s no funding available from the likes of the NRM then that funding can only come from people who donate. As not enough people did donate, the costs of keeping the complete unit weren’t anywhere close to being covered.

They have done the exact opposite though, taken the money and then let it rot anyway, Its such a shame
That simply isn’t the case. They’ve done all that they can with the limited funds available.

WAO

The 503 was in trouble from the start.

While it was "preserved" at withdrawal, the Local Authority sponsoring it soon wearied and had it stored in the siding under the Mersey for a decade. When a preservation group took an interest, the owners only released two cars, retaining the driving trailer for conversion to a cafe and childrens play area. Much dismantling was done and items stored in a container that was subsequently dumped when the cafe idea flopped. The remains of the carriage were then sent to the award winning Coventry ERM, with little good will from Merseyside, whose hands remained firmly in its deep "City of Culture" pockets. The unexpected loss of the Coventry site without compensation (it was said that the "heritage" element wasn't local so clear off..) meant that only the new site at Margate was available. With so little direct support (probably low single figures!) for the unit, the work on the more popular 4SUB was delayed, hence the necessary but regrettable action. Perhaps Mid-Wales may be a better site for a Merseyside unit than East Kent.

Still, better luck to the 502 Friends and the 507 Group.

WAO

WAO

A minor point, but Llynclys, despite the Welsh-sounding name, is (just) on the English side of the border, in Shropshire.
Point well made.

Had the 503 been stabled nearer Merseyside, it, like the 502, might have found a viable sized group of working supporters. This wasn't possible at the time in spite of all efforts. Some may recall the fate of the 73/0 being extracted from Birkenhead North...

The 503 was in quite good condition structurally and would not have needed the new frames and extensive re-skinning of the 502.

Still, more strength to the arms of those working with the 502 and 405 (4SUB)!

WAO

The_Train

Established Member
I've lost a bit of track of this unit now. Could any kind soul advise what has happened with each carriage please?

Sun Chariot

Established Member
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
I wonder what the outcome would be if the various EMU preservation groups came together to see if by pooling funds undercover storage could be obtained.
I didn't spot this post at the time.

That idea, in principle, makes good practical sense. Perhaps, a "slimmed down" version of Barrow Hill's operating model?
I guess a challenge will be what already happens now: find a cost-viable location geographically accessible to those able to work on the restorations, as well as those who'll contribute financially (assuming that contributors will mainly be folk who used to ride the unit(s) in question).
In an ideal world, the location will be relevant to the operating area(s) of at least some units.

Last edited:

M28361M

28690 is at Cambrian Heritage Railway, Llynclys, the other two have been cut up.
The cab of 29289 (up to the first set of sliding doors) survives at The Cab Yard at Cynheidre, Wales. Nothing on the Cab Yard website yet that I can see, but it was reported in the most recent Railways Illustrated.

Tony2

The cab of 29289 (up to the first set of sliding doors) survives at The Cab Yard at Cynheidre, Wales. Nothing on the Cab Yard website yet that I can see, but it was reported in the most recent Railways Illustrated.

Picture here: