• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 60 Headlights - Is This True?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dan4291

I've been told an odd thing about the headlights on a class 60 and wondered if anyone knew if it was true. Apparently when a class 60 is stood, say at a red signal, the headlights automatically switch off. Is this true?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

C96

Intrigued by this I looked at a few videos.
Around 16:28 you can see it stopped with headlights remaining on whilst stopped.

Darandio

Established Member
Yet watch here from 1:53 and they extinguish. Happens in a few others where i've seen drivers changeover. Because the key is taken out maybe?

richa2002

Established Member
Yes. The headlight only illuminates when the reverser is in direction.

Towers

Established Member
Yet watch here from 1:53 and they extinguish. Happens in a few others where i've seen drivers changeover. Because the key is taken out maybe?

Regarding keys, I would think it's highly likely that drivers just swap keys, the outgoing driver leaving his in the desk and then the new driver handing his over - saves a lot of faffing about setting up the cabs again!

ExRes

Established Member
Regarding keys, I would think it's highly likely that drivers just swap keys, the outgoing driver leaving his in the desk and then the new driver handing his over - saves a lot of faffing about setting up the cabs again!

Interestingly my experience was that drivers almost always took their key out so that the relieving driver had to put their PIN in the OTMR before being able to move the train

Towers

Established Member
Interestingly my experience was that drivers almost always took their key out so that the relieving driver had to put their PIN in the OTMR before being able to move the train
Interesting! And a fair point, although I'd imagine any TOC/FOC would know who was actually driving at any given time these days, even if the OTMR hadn't been properly set up (which presumably would be disciplinary territory?).

D365

Veteran Member
Yes. The headlight only illuminates when the reverser is in direction.
Do you mean the direction switch?
On that basis, this order of actions would make more sense.

66701GBRF

Locos can moves whether pin is in or not. While I don't sign 60's I am sure that is still the case with them.
Interesting! And a fair point, although I'd imagine any TOC/FOC would know who was actually driving at any given time these days, even if the OTMR hadn't been properly set up (which presumably would be disciplinary territory?).

Without a pin you would have to rely on rosters which can be out of date an hour after publishing. The pin is only there for management downloading purposes following an incident or assessment. It acts as a sort of bookends. Not really disciplinary territory unless you constantly fail to put it in after lots and lots of warnings from you manager.....or you put it in on the move which is a big no no.

ExRes

Established Member
Locos can moves whether pin is in or not. While I don't sign 60's I am sure that is still the case with them.

You're right of course, I didn't word that very well, as far as I'm aware the point was that removing your key was recorded on the OTMR should a download be required

Status
Not open for further replies.