• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 70?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Daimler

Established Member
Surely there's some sort of rule that outlaws vehicles that ugly?

Truly, utterly, hideous. It's almost like it's been done deliberately - some of its ugliest points just seem unnecessary - like the louvres on the light clusters, meaning the lights have to be mounted proud. Why? That's not needed, it's just bad design! And as for the roadwords-pavement-diversion railings down the side, the less said, the better!

Phoenix

Established Member
Well it brings more variety to this country mostly boring railway gives photographers like me more reason to leave the house.

Daimler

Established Member
One thing I am a little confused by is the sheer size of the 'gangways' down the side of the loco. Now, I know this is commonplace in the USA, but over there the loading gauge is huge. Surely they'll mean space is compromised inside?

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
....It's almost like it's been done deliberately - some of its ugliest points just seem unnecessary - like the louvres on the light clusters, meaning the lights have to be mounted proud. Why? That's not needed, it's just bad design! And as for the roadwords-pavement-diversion railings down the side, the less said, the better!

I think the light surround are part of a requirement for all rail vehicles now, Voyagers have them as, I believe, the Pendelinos do, along with many new units on our railway. The difference is that on most of those trains they are hidden behind something so they don't stand out (I think they are also lower down on the current trains, more buffer height). I imagine there is also some guideline on where the head/tail lights have to be aswell.

I really hope that the walkways are like that while they are on test in the states and then altered when they get over here! They look somewhat 'temporary'. If that is the case, are the HI headlights temporary aswell, they seem to stand proud whereas the tail/marker lights aren't.

I think the finished, delivered design will vary slightly, but it is ugly.

Sir_Clagalot

Units have them instead of buffers, as when coupled to other units they prevent vehicles riding up on top of each other, so they should really be where the buffers are!!

Mystic Force

It is what it looks like the illegitimate offspring of the mating of british and american diesel locos. The GE loco they are based on is a thing of beauty given the right paint jobs (such as the Iowa Interstate ones) some of the features look a bit stuck on but I imagine the walkways will stay so that the panels open up for maitanence.

Oswyntail

Established Member
Actually, I quite like it, though it is far from a classic. Given the complete lack of style in a 66 or 67, at least this is slightly different. I also suspect the paint job will make a huge difference.

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
I thought I read these were going to be classified class 68? :s It'll look better once it's painted

delt1c

Established Member
It reminds me of the mother in law, i will let individuals decide what is meant.

CCF23

Well it brings more variety to this country mostly boring railway gives photographers like me more reason to leave the house.

I agree it will bring a bit of variety to our network, although i think it looks terrible. At least the class 66's won't be the most hated loco's anymore :lol:

43021HST

Established Member
Bluuuuuuuuuuuurgh that is the ugliest thing ever made. It makes the Vomitors look beautiful. Hopefully there wont be to many of them.:shock: The Gardeen Fence style railings make it look worse. Cant the Creators tell that there creation is morbidly ugly. If trains had paper bags that one should wear one!.

Oswyntail

Established Member
.... Cant the Creators tell that there creation is morbidly ugly. If trains had paper bags that one should wear one!.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and every parent thinks their child is lovely :) We do not have a good record of design in this country recently. I would say that the heyday of the old design panel (Hymeks, 47s, HST) has not been approached since, and even they got it horribly wrong (Westerns). Mostly we have gone for the boringly functional (see klamberts avatar!)

TDK

Established Member
Surely there's some sort of rule that outlaws vehicles that ugly?

Truly, utterly, hideous. It's almost like it's been done deliberately - some of its ugliest points just seem unnecessary - like the louvres on the light clusters, meaning the lights have to be mounted proud. Why? That's not needed, it's just bad design! And as for the roadwords-pavement-diversion railings down the side, the less said, the better!

as long as it does the job it's intended to does it matter what it looks like, many original uk locos are ugly.

we will see and wait to see how many of you photograph it and book for haulage on it's 1st railtour

driver9000

Established Member
The walkway fence is a US regulation as far as I know, they look too temporary and wide to fit UK loading gauge. I dont think the sides will be used as a walkway I remember crews were prohibited from walking along the similar walkways on the class 58.

CCF23

I have read that the first of the 30 will be delivered to Newport in November with the rest to be delivered in 2010 so how come i and many other people have heard nothing of the class. They are being built in Pennsylvania in the U.S so the people making them have obviously forgotten which country they are to be used. Also i thought classes 70+ were Electric/Electro-Diesels although I'm probably wrong. Why haven't it been given a TOPS code that hasn't already been used.

Daimler

Established Member
as long as it does the job it's intended to does it matter what it looks like, many original uk locos are ugly.

To me, yes! Clearly not to Freightliner.

I'm hoping they'll be hugely effective at what they do, but I'll still bemoan their unsightliness whenever I see one!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
but, to contrast with the ugliness of this train, let us have a look at the most beautiful unit ever to grace the uk's rails. The gwr diesel railcar.
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/208/519790339_002e2950b0.jpg?v=0

8-)

Status
Not open for further replies.