• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 701 'Aventra' trains for South Western Railway

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gag Halfrunt

GW43125

Established Member
Noticed that 701037 seems to be distinctly lacking the new train smell

hwl

Established Member
But then because we have photographic evidence that the seat cushions are wider and take up the space that the seat spacer creates they must also take up the equivalent space between the seat frame and the side wall.
I checked this morning they do have a spacer between the sidewall and window seat.

There's no flat bit on the ducting. It basically follows the curving inwards body profile and is identical to that on the 720s.
Technically the "top" is flat in mathematical or engineering terms, it just happens to be inclined at ~65 degrees from the horizontal.
(Similarly a flat roof is typically inclined at a minimum of 2.5 degrees)

Last edited:

mangyiscute

Established Member
Noticed that 701037 seems to be distinctly lacking the new train smell
701039 certainly had it yesterday

I'll also add that conventional seating is definitely the way to go compared to sideways seats, as someone who frequently does Reading to Ealing Broadway on the EL it's awful having to sit sideways for that long.
It's very telling that the bays of 4 seats always go first - most of the public prefer conventional seating.

davews

701039 certainly had it yesterday

I'll also add that conventional seating is definitely the way to go compared to sideways seats, as someone who frequently does Reading to Ealing Broadway on the EL it's awful having to sit sideways for that long.
It's very telling that the bays of 4 seats always go first - most of the public prefer conventional seating.
Maybe a new train smell but there were muddy footprints by the door when I got on....

mangyiscute

Established Member
Maybe a new train smell but there were muddy footprints by the door when I got on....
Yeah I saw them too, although they are on pretty much every class 700 and a lot worse, so clearly whatever they're using on the floor doesn't clean very easily.

Busman

Lovely. Thanks both.

it's just the 1025 2U91 and return from Windsor at 1130.

Thank you

Dan G

The earlier units will have festered for years in sidings so will have suffered from damp etc. Also there are various modifications needed - more than usual for a new fleet it seems. The later built units will have those modifications as built but the older units might still have the modifications outstanding.
Have earlier units literally been parked up since they were first delivered? (When was the first delivery?) Or have they been taken out for "exercise" on a rotation?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Have earlier units literally been parked up since they were first delivered? (When was the first delivery?) Or have they been taken out for "exercise" on a rotation?
This thread reports dozens of moves to/from a number of locations, and units have been up and down the mainline on and off for a few years now. Units have been shuffled around in both directions between for example Eastleigh TRSMD, Eastleigh works, MOD Marchwood, Long Marston, MOD Bicester, Worksop, etc etc…

Dan G

This thread reports dozens of moves to/from a number of locations, and units have been up and down the mainline on and off for a few years now. Units have been shuffled around in both directions between for example Eastleigh TRSMD, Eastleigh works, MOD Marchwood, Long Marston, MOD Bicester, Worksop, etc etc…
Right; I've never been sure to what purpose :lol: .

If they have been run every month or two I would think the interiors and mechanicals are fine.

Waterlemon

content
Why can SWR use an Aslef driver when they haven't agreed a training course with Aslef? Only answers from those that actually know. thanks

Attachments

• image (1).png
    image (1).png
    1.5 MB · Views: 214

pompeyfan

Established Member
content
Why can SWR use an Aslef driver when they haven't agreed a training course with Aslef? Only answers from those that actually know. thanks

The driver is a driving instructor according to a few posts on Twitter, although it could also be that the training package has actually been finalised but not rolled out.

There’s also grumbles that the guard wasn’t included in that photo shoot.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Next week its an extra Windsor duty on top of that one - eg an early afternoon turn about 10 mins ahead of 2U35 and 2U42. RTT won't have details yet.
It would all be more convincing about the roll-out if there was a substitution in the normal diagrams.

TheHSRailFan

They started service while I was on holiday in Finland, talk about timing haha.

I feel like the 701s being out this week is just like the taster for commuters just like how the 717s did a pilot/taster service Between Gordon Hill and Moorgate back in 2019. Until the RMT and other things get sorted out. I don't think we will see a proper rollout launch for a while.