• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 701 'Aventra' trains for South Western Railway

Goldfish62

Established Member
Anyone know how the depot driver training is going? Seems to be taking an age to train to a relatively small group of staff, although I appreciate that three weeks have been lost due to industrial action.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bigfoot

Anyone know how the depot driver training is going? Seems to be taking an age to train to a relatively small group of staff, although I appreciate that three weeks have been lost due to industrial action.
Not heard anything directly, but all trained or not it doesn't make a great deal of difference. The stock still hasn't reached a stage where it is fit for service/mainline driver training yet.

InOban

Established Member
Not heard anything directly, but all trained or not it doesn't make a great deal of difference. The stock still hasn't reached a stage where it is fit for service/mainline driver training yet.
Who makes that decision?

It would seem to me that there is a lot to be gained by crew training on imperfect software where they will get plenty of experience in fault rectification and operating in degraded modes. Certainly the Elizabeth line training didn't wait until the software was good enough to satisfy the safety bodies.

Or are the old school putting off the evil hour, AKA the 21st century?

Goldfish62

Established Member
Who makes that decision?

It would seem to me that there is a lot to be gained by crew training on imperfect software where they will get plenty of experience in fault rectification and operating in degraded modes. Certainly the Elizabeth line training didn't wait until the software was good enough to satisfy the safety bodies.

Indeed. I doubt if any rolling has ever entered service with all known faults ironed out beforehand.

But then this is SWR, and things seem to work differently and very slowly on the South Western. I certainly get the impression from this thread alone that there are plenty of staff who never want the trains introduced, for reasons best known to themselves.

aleggatta

I wonder, whether this will be the first fleet to spend more time in storage than running in service before requiring a major overhaul? Whilst they have done little mileage, some components will have a ticking clock before they have to be replaced (thinking of rubberised suspension components especially)

Fastlane256

I wonder, whether this will be the first fleet to spend more time in storage than running in service before requiring a major overhaul? Whilst they have done little mileage, some components will have a ticking clock before they have to be replaced (thinking of rubberised suspension components especially)
I wonder how close the 180s got to that.

Invincible

Indeed. I doubt if any rolling has ever entered service with all known faults ironed out beforehand.

But then this is SWR, and things seem to work differently and very slowly on the South Western. I certainly get the impression from this thread alone that there are plenty of staff who never want the trains introduced, for reasons best known to themselves.
The 701 trains were ordered without guards panels in a time when relationships between the unions and SWR management were low and taking a long time to repair, eventually the MD was replaced. Although SWR then said they would not operate 701s without guards, the panels were retrospectively fitted, but SWR wanted conditions they could operate without guards sometimes, which was unacceptable to the unions, but have now said all trains will have a guard.

Goldfish62

Established Member
The 701 trains were ordered without guards panels in a time when relationships between the unions and SWR management were low and taking a long time to repair, eventually the MD was replaced. Although SWR then said they would not operate 701s without guards, the panels were retrospectively fitted, but SWR wanted conditions they could operate without guards sometimes, which was unacceptable to the unions, but have now said all trains will have a guard.
That's old news. That was agreed literally years ago.

Samzino

Who makes that decision?

The 345s did wait till the software was good enough to satisfy the safety bodies as would any of the new Aventras. The 701s issues are more far fetched than just software else it wouldn't be rolling on the rails on testing or greenlighted for depot driver training. The main issues now with the 345s are indeed troublesome but not enough to full cause safety concerns, not least after the updates to prevent rollback and also the fixes for the exploding undercarriages.

Invincible

That's old news. That was agreed literally years ago.
I gave as a possible reason why "plenty of staff who never want the trains introduced, for reasons best known to themselves"?
There may be other reasons, sounds like there are still some stock and software issues, but should not affect training?

TEW

Established Member
701s have always had guard's panels.

Invincible

701s have always had guard's panels.
Not sure how correct this article from 2020 is?
"The order for the trains consists of 60 10-car sets and 30 5-car sets. They are expected to have ABDO capability, although this may not be initially present. What they do not have is guard’s panels for guards to operate the doors, other than a facility to prevent the doors being closed. This is in case the guard is on the platform assisting mobility-impaired passengers, for example. Clearly, if the driver cannot close the doors, the train cannot depart."

"In order for the RMT to ‘win’ the dispute, the 90 new trains would have to be retrofitted with guard’s panels and, if that were done, some of the advantages of modernising SWR would be lost."

Last edited:

Established Member
701039 just departed Eastleigh at 0612 working 5Q50 to Waterloo.
Same unit worked 5Q52 Staines to Eastleigh yesterday.

Last edited:

pompeyfan

Established Member
There’s a regular SWR operated 701 path (5Q20/5Q21), this is for operation trainers (Basingstoke School) and Ops standards to write the appropriate training package for 701s, including DCO

fgwrich

Established Member
There’s a regular SWR operated 701 path (5Q20/5Q21), this is for operation trainers (Basingstoke School) and Ops standards to write the appropriate training package for 701s, including DCO

So are these now being operated by SWR crew then? And does this offer a glimpse of hope that we may see entry into traffic soon?

pompeyfan

Established Member
So are these now being operated by SWR crew then? And does this offer a glimpse of hope that we may see entry into traffic soon?

Yes they’re driven by members of SWRs operations teams who hold driver competency, and they’re under SWR safety case with units accepted by SWR. Whether or not that means they’re any closer to service is anyone’s guess.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Yes they’re driven by members of SWRs operations teams who hold driver competency, and they’re under SWR safety case with units accepted by SWR. Whether or not that means they’re any closer to service is anyone’s guess.
Logically of course, assuming they end up entering service at some stage and aren't sent straight for scrap, they are closer to entering services that they were, say, a couple of months ago, or indeed compared to when I started writing this post. ;)

fgwrich

Established Member
That's good to hear, Thanks. Means a little bit of progress has finally taken place then!

spark001uk

Established Member
Looks like that diagram is completed with 5Q22/23/24 (two more round the Hounslow loop and one to Clapham yd), although not always worked.
Eg. 5Q22 today only went as far as Clapham, assume path used to return to the yard.

----

47749 + 701057, currently running RT.

Last edited:

jwhite9185

Looks like that diagram is completed with 5Q22/23/24 (two more round the Hounslow loop and one to Clapham yd), although not always worked.
Eg. 5Q22 today only went as far as Clapham, assume path used to return to the yard.

----

47749 + 701057, currently running RT.

Just caught this one go past, very slowly.

(Not the best pics ever - easier in winter with less leaves on the trees)

IMG_6486.jpeg

IMG_6487.jpeg

NSEUser

Brief shot of Arterios stored at Soton Docks as I left on a cruise this afternoon.

Attachments

• IMG_7184.jpeg
    IMG_7184.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 312

tricky18jan

Morning all, does anyone know the ID’s of the 701’s that were at Clapham on Sunday morning ?

I noted 701037, 701042, 701043 and 2 others that I couldn’t quite see

Any help appreciated

Rich